Monday, August 1, 2022

August already? White rabbits then

 Elephants and jewelry  this month from C's calendar 


Lammas, too, loafmas which has to do with harvesting wheat and baking bread. A bit hot for baking today.

Here's a bit of iris cordage


Iris handles differently from daylily, tougher, but just as good for string. It looks very much like daylily string, so it's joining the collection.

And here's s bit of indoor gardening


Some of the Italian basil I grew from seed, now rooting in water, very handy for cooking.

And yesterday saw the entire 2022 potato harvest, steamed, pat of Vermont butter, sprig of parsley,with the last of the lox and some baby spinach. 

Poifect.


And here are sliced baby bellas, slow cooked in butter and oil, ready ahead for today's roast chicken thighs and a side of the pasta I had yesterday.

Current reading was a wise little Mma Ramotswe story


And, the triumph of the Lionesses yesterday, in the beautiful gane, celebrated by my favorite, usually NSFW,  Forest Friends


Yay team!! Winning goal in overtime even. Glorious stuff, two great teams 

Women, with art,  will save us all.

Happy day everyone, let's all be Lionesses, keep going to the last minute.




15 comments:

  1. Nice bits of whimsy here!
    I keep forgetting to say that if you've never tried growing the small red potatoes, you might want to give them a shot. They always do well here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried and they don't work here at all. Whites seem to do best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always meant to read Alexander McCall Smith's "No 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series, but there's like a million books in it, isn't there? He is an EXTREMELY prolific writer. He must write like the wind and never have to edit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reading the #1 Detective Agency but I was doing it in order of being published and then the library couldn't find the next book even though their records said it was in the library. I'll have to see if they found it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a previous blog you talked about growing potatoes in a container so I decided to try. And, it worked just like you said. My harvest was about the same as yours this time and they were yummy good! Smart lady you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reminding me of Mr. McCall Smith, I loved his books, and read them ages ago. This was a lovely post. I checked and I'm way behind on the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books. I had no idea there were so many of them. I will read some and see if I still find them as delightful as the earlier ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rabbit Rabbi Rabbit! Not my first words of the day but the first on your blog. :)
    You've convinced me to try growing potatoes in containers. I've grown lots in the ground, not in containers. Next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. McCall Smith writes several series, but I like mma Ramotswe and co. best. Such interesting characters. I can take or leave the Scots ones and I really don't like the German based series.

    Sandra, try it. This has not been one of my more successful years, but that's how it goes. My inadvertent gardening has done better than the intentional gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cordage is fascinating to me. I have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go for it, and let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For some reason I said White Rabbit when I woke up this morning, before I was even out of bed. I'll have to try for the rest of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been commenting on your making cording out of plant material, but I think I have finally caught up on your experimenting and making it and I, too, am fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your potato crop fascinates me. It is amazing where one can grow a few spuds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It must be such a pleasure to turn the calendar to the new month - not from the standpoint of the passage of time (which seems to go faster and faster) but because of those wonderful illustrations.
    Seeing your potatoes reminds me that I need to convince Resident Chef that we're due for a trip to the farmers stand to see if they have any baby potatoes available. I'm craving them now!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, let's be lionesses!
    Love Mma Ramotswe. I bet your potatoes were wonderful even if not many of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!