Sunday, August 28, 2022

Sunday, miscellaneous thoughts

 I was thinking idly about cross stitch, as one does, yesterday, and wondering if that was another seeing ability restored to me by the cataract surgery. One of the curses of severe astigmatism is that it confuses the outlines and directions of what you're looking at.

Mostly I adapted , but anything built on diagonals such as cross stitch, is, except for big gauge work, close to impossible. Not that I felt it as a big loss, it not being a favorite stitch. But it was annoying in the same way as my bafflement with kumihimo, many part braiding, same diagonal and directional problem.

The recent studying of braiding brought this to mind, and I realized this isn't half the issue it was a few weeks ago.

And I also realized I can probably dust off my birding binoculars, same reason. 


I tested yesterday and they work a lot better. I don't see one and a half jumping birds now, yay. Just bird by bird. 

This serpentine train of thought came about after I'd been out walking and saw the fluttering of what looked like a couple of warblers. 

A bit early for fall migration, but nothing has been on schedule this year anyway. We have some year round warblers, yellowrumps, but these were much darker, flitting about like butterflies ss they do.

And of course, having given up my binoculars years ago because of the vision issues, I couldn't get a close view 

Home again to one of my favorite pages in Peterson's guide, Confusing Fall Warblers. If even Peterson got confused, fine for me to be, too.


I still don't know what I was seeing, except they were much darker than yellowrumps. Since we live bang in the middle of the Eastern Flyway, could be anyone. Particularly if storms have blown them off course. 

Anyway my binoculars can come to the Preserve with me again now, good. And I may or may not bother with cross stitch, jury's out.

In other unimportant news, I seem to have run out of the No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books, but there's still the writer giving very funny interviews and well worth tracking down. 


He's all over YouTube at book events.

And, to show I can be as trivial as anyone, remember the titanic struggle I had with the mouthwash bottle cap a while back? Where I concluded that it was a bad batch since the interior prongs were too long ever to slip past the other bit? I opened a new bottle yesterday, just squeezed, turned, it opened. Because the prongs were about half the length of the faulty ones.


I rest my case. And my prongs.

Today's art is my contribution to a lovely project online about walking, collecting s few natural objects, arranging them and posting the photo online. It's part of a calming process, so people can enjoy just a few minutes' respite from stress, the person walking in nature and the people seeing the results.

The project is particularly being directed to people in the UK who are facing an ever worsening daily situation.  Many people I know simply don't know how they'll face this winter's fuel costs. I feel for them, having just seen the cost of my cooling for the heat wave months of July and August. But at this point I can manage my bills, more than they can. 

Meanwhile here's my woodland collection


Extra credit for identifying the leaves!

Happy day everyone, hope we can see things straight and true, not one and a half wobbly versions, in every sense.





13 comments:

  1. I love your "woodland collection" and the idea/movement behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally brought her name to mind --Emma Mitchell started this idea. She's a silversmith,using natural objects, and was the driving force behind my summer of drawing and painting, to cope with the anxiety about various health issues. She's @silverpebble on Twitter, fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How in the world does Alexander McCall Smith find time for interviews with his writing schedule? Does he write in his sleep? I love his gentle way of looking at the world.
    I also love that your eyes are so much better, allowing you to live more fully once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He writes, this is not a typo, one thousand words an hour, works three hours a day. Five books a year. And is so good tempered and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maple, oak and beach? Those are my first thoughts. What kind fades when I learn the names. I love the idea, and will post my findings when out walking, sans any floss picks on the trail. It baffles me that there are folks that toss them.

    A thousand words an hour!? My brain numbs thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gift to have your sight back! That is a lot of words. Oak and maple are all I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so great that your sight has improved to such a degree. We aren't looking forward to the higher fuel bills, obviously (and overall inflation is bad here anyway) but the people who will really suffer are those who are already struggling with low incomes and a lot of demands on their resources.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some ones do not often contemplate cross stitching. 😇

    As for leave I leave them alone after maple and oak. Not sure if you have a second oak in that lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did everyone notice the visual joke? Two types of oak leaves and their friends on an oak background. I guess you had to be there..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our mom reluctantly agreed to cataract surgery when the dr. told her it was surgery or lose her driver's license.
    Fast forward to post surgery for both eyes and we found her cross stitching. A long time ago our aunt gave mom an unfinished piece of work, and mom set it aside, too. Now she was trying it again, All the colors were properly sorted, because mom could see colors again. All the stitches were sliding right in. 18 stitches/inch. A lovely piece about two friends and tea. Our cousin still has it hanging. Life is good when you can see again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds as if cross stitch is the post-surgical test!

    I was in the same position about driving. It's what pushed me into the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. New eyes or no, binoculars are not doable for me. Always feels as though I'm missing out on a lot of good things because I can't sue them.
    One of the things we are grateful for after moving into this apartment is that our heating is included in our rent, although that's not necessary going to stay that way. They've managed to figure a way to charge us extra for a/c usage in the summer so I have no doubt they'll come up with a surcharge for winter heat as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary Anne, handsome partner had no vision in one eye, so he got a monocular, like a telescope, and saw a lot more. If you can focus with one eye instead of both, that might be a thought.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!