Saturday, August 20, 2022

Green tomatoes, Indian treats, Fewer, Better Things, Misfits

 Misfits arrived promptly  yesterday



And some of the  blueberries got into a batch of blueberry muffins, one of which went home later with Gary for his  breakfast today.

He and I had a big food connection day. He'd stopped over late afternoon to see how I was, since I hadn't been out walking, too hot. That's when he left with the muffin, hot from the oven.

Later he came dashing in with these


Steaming hot, from the Indian neighbors on his other side, new people I don't know yet. They're crisp outside, soft inside, mildly spicy, savory. He split them with  me. 

I found out later it was an Indian festival day, one I didn't know about. Indian neighbors tend to include everyone in the food aspect of festivals. 

I don't know the name of these items. If anyone does, please say. The friends I'd ask locally are in India for the summer.

Later in the evening he showed up again, with a sad branch of tomato vine. He'd been trying to tie it up and broke it. So when I said you can cook the green tomatoes, he said, no, you can, take them. So here they are

I'll ripen them a bit then make something interesting of them.

Yesterday was definitely a rich and packed day, all in all.

Then I embarked on the lovely Jill Barklem books, starting with Spring Story. Her botanical accuracy is stunning as well as her watercolor skills and the story is really less important than the portrayal of a fantasy world. Here's one of my perennial favorite themes


The dollhouse insight into a series of lives, ss seen in their surroundings. Very similar to the attraction of the opening of Under Milk Wood, seeing into the houses of the sleeping people.

Originally written for children, her work is great at any age, beautiful, meaningful and so very well rendered.

Then there's Glenn Adamson, Fewer, Better Things. Aside from starting off on the right foot by correctly using "fewer", not the accursed "less", he writes very persuasively and knowledgeably and keeps saying things like this



Which stop you dead because they're exactly right. This book will take me a while to read, partly because he keeps saying things like this, partly because I get off on tangents because of artisans and artists he mentions that I need to learn about right away.

Such as Dorothy Gill Barnes,  worker in wood and bark 





She would incise designs in living bark in the tree, wait years to maturity before taking it to work it into art.

He's a wise man and a wise writer. Definitely read this!

Happy day everyone, make things, or read about making things, or go out and just look at the sky to see what it's up to today. 



15 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a very good day. I think I will make blueberry something, I have a bag of frozen I'm doing nothing with. You have a good friend in Gary. And he in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very good food day. I love how your neighbours share their food. We try to do that too but our favourite recipient has moved into an assisted living situation and no longer can I leave a happy face picture under his door signifying that he needed to come across the hall to get the latest offering. I suspect a young family might move in there now so will have to wait and see if they are the sort to be accepting of 'donations' from our kitchen.
    ps...I'm intriqued by the Jill Barklem books and checked into the library web site and of course they only have one of her other books and it must be seen through Hoopla which I don't use. So I've requested them and hopefully they can get them from another library. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra is right- you and Gary are good for each other, I think.
    You could slice and stir fry those little green tomatoes. Green tomatoes have a delicious flavor. Of course here in the south, we'd just cover them in cornmeal and flour and fry them. Again, sliced of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday we finally got some real rain so my plans for the day in the shop did not happen. So my plan for yesterday will be my plan for today.

    So nice to have neighbors that cook exotic food and then share it with all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh to live again in a neighbourhood like yours. Sharing food is such important community glue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it was raining goodies from the garden, kitchen and store yesterday! Love those wood and bark baskets.

    Could those Indian goodies be pakoras?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pakoras are vegetable fritters. These are all dough with a bit of cilantro and spices. I've looked up a few possibilities based on what my neighbors have given me over the years and this is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize it was an Indian festival day. THAT explains why we were hearing firecrackers last night. We were mystified.

    I made fried green tomatoes several times back in the '90s, when they were all the rage thanks to Fannie Flagg. They're pretty good, but I haven't made them again since!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I mentioned fried green tomatoes but Gary didn't catch the reference!

    Evidently the festival celebrates the birth of Lord Krishna, celebrated this year on the 18-19 August. Since a lot of our neighbors are in India, it was quiet. Other festivals involve partying and firecrackers and food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There must be something in the air. Our Vietnamese neighbors brought over fresh fruit, egg rolls and moon cake last night. I didn't have a chance to ask them what the festivity was, and didn't see a special holiday on the Vietnamese calendar. So - serendipity all the way around. I don't recognize the Indian treats.

    Beautiful, beautiful work by Dorothy Gill Barnes. Thank you for introducing her!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  11. They may have been celebrating the 77th anniversary of the August 14-30 Revolution, which changed the structure of Vietnam's government and founded it as an independent republic.

    Hard to tell as an outsider reading the sequence of events who really came out on top. Maybe your neighbors support whoever did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's commemorated on the 19th, forgot to say that. So that would fit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aha! Good researching! Back to the history books for me.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gary is such a good neighbour. It is great to have someone like him nearby. You enrich each others’ lives.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Barnes depth of understanding of her material world is wonderful to look at. I must read that biography.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!