Sunday, August 21, 2022

Which logic will work, and other passing thoughts

Yesterday I opened a canteloupe, wonderful scent, and wondered what seasoning to use. Ginger's a popular choice but though I love ginger , the combination with canteloupe tastes exactly like soap, so I looked further.

Three candidates, amchur, which is dried mango powder, citrusy but not for people allergic to mango rind, sumac, a different kind of citrusy, given to me by a terrific cook who was amazed I didn't have any, and za'atar, a freebie with my last tea order, warm mixture, cinnamon, nutmeg, other good things. Went in the end with amchur.


You will instantly note that the alphabetic organizing of my spices, I have quite a few, doesn't serve me well here. A and S and Z, three different shelves, fumbling, knocking bottles off the lazy susans.

I wondered, briefly, let's not get carried away here, if I could organize by function instead. 

Then realized that, if the permutations of the drops before and after eye surgery nearly defeated me, I'd need a spreadsheet to organize the spices in families by food affinities. Maybe I'll just take up quadratic equations as a hobby for my declining years, instead.

Which reminds me of the joke about the artist and the brain surgeon. Artists on the whole, who know what it takes to make and exhibit art, the focus, persistence, sheer energy required to create even apparently "simple" work, do get a bit tired of people saying ooh, an easy life really. I fancy taking it up in retirement.

So the brain surgeon at a party says this to the artist, could have been me, not saying, and the artist says "Funny you should mention it. I'm ready to retire to an easier life. I've been thinking of taking up brain surgery."  Bitter but accurate.

Other people's work does tend to look easy to onlookers,  such as the nice people, during my pet care business years who said, "I'd love to have your job, playing with animals all day long". 

Well, if you don't count the coping with the humans, the pets were easier, and the seven day a week out before dawn on early dog walking rounds, all weathers, at least 15 miles daily walking, three rounds, much driving, busy times ending after 10pm, and that's only the start.  I did love it, and was happy though tired, but I wouldn't confuse it with playing all day!

This is true of practically any work, not seeking the moral high ground here.  Except for those "artists" known to a lot of us actual artists, who do our own work stem to stern, the people who sketch out what they want done, then hire (poorly paid, and uncredited) artisans to execute the artworks.

Ellen pointed this out elsewhere, spot on. I know a few, usually male sculptors, who put their name on a piece with no acknowledgement of the actual artists who created it from, in one case I know of, stick figure drawings. 

One person I know personally actually bragged that he only spoke the concept then looked in now and then to see its progress.  

Now I understand about collaboration, I've done it, where artists work together, put their names to finished work, and that's perfectly fine. What l don't appreciate is the suppression of the credit and sale share to people who actually did the work. 

I've known of gifted local modelers at a metal foundry, a wealthy local man's property, working up the shapes for his bronze casting, at $9 , that is not a typo, per hour.  

It's where a rich man buys a reputation as an artist. Not so good.  I know a woman famous for her art quilts, where the execution was an important part of the success of the concepts.  

I was talking with her, unaware of this, admired how her execution worked flawlessly. She looked a bit flustered then said, well I have an assistant for that. 

I asked what her name was, couldn't see it anywhere, and she  got angry and pretty much flounced away. 

I'd blundered into this, never thinking that there could be any joy in pretending to make art that you just jobbed out like a contractor. The "I have people for that" approach.

So do look out to see that makers of large pieces credit the skilled team behind them. Good ones will. 

That's one of the traditions I love in old edition prints. On every one they credit the artist who drew the original work, and the engraver who transferred it to the plate, sometimes the artist was also the engraver, and the printmaker who pulled the prints. All skilled work, a team, to create great prints. Rembrandt never pretended he'd done it all. I do like artists who make like Rembrandt.  Credit to the team if there is one.

It follows in other parts of life, too. Important to credit the people who keep our personal little red wagon trundling along. The spouse, the child carer, the cleaning crew at home if you have them, and work, the lunchroom ladies, the deli worker, the chambermaid in your motel, hotel. There's an army in a lot of our lives, often invisible. Heck, do we think to care about the nurses in our doctor's office as people. Yeah, we do if we're nice. That's all the readers in here.

End of unexpected sermon, preaching to the choir,  hopping down from the Sunday soapbox now. 

Happy day everyone! Enjoy your day, play, work, breathe. That last part is good. I should remember that one when I get all hot under the collar about Wrong Things Happening.

Image AC





19 comments:

  1. And let us not forget the "ghostwriters" who, if they are lucky, get a brief nod in an "author's" acknowledgements.
    It's so odd to me to think of people who take credit for so many things that they really had little more to do with than hiring the people who actually did the things and this extends to decorators and cleaners and caterers.
    You are so right about the armies of people who are behind the scenes, making everything run, attending to the details, doing the real and often very hard work. The unseen heroes, if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would never occur to me to put anything on cantaloupe, a good one is perfect as is. I also don't understand salt on watermelon. I get the sweet and salty combo but if I want that I'll eat a bit of watermelon and then eat a salty potato chip. Or buy a Payday bar. Thanks for the mention. The cast glass I do all the work but the 40+ years of etched glass, part of that time we had two employees that participated in the fabrication of the work but before and after it was just Marc and me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a pet sitter once (she always cared for HRH when I was on vacation) and I could not believe how ignorant some of her clients were -- for example, those who went on vacation without leaving any pet food in the house, or who expected her to also shovel snow off their walks and take in the mail like she was a house sitter, not a pet sitter. Eventually, she had to get quite a detailed contract drawn up for their signatures, laying out precisely what everyone's responsibilities were and were not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was told several times over the long years how lucky I was too be able to play with horses all day. Right. Maybe I'll take up quantum physics in retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me, a non artist, no artists work ever looks easy - it all looks impossibly difficult (well, perhaps except for things like a white canvas with a tiny red square) and amazing. As for your herbs/spices. I only have two shelves in my spice cabinet. Top holds the ones I think of as 'sweet'. The 2nd, savory types.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am unfamiliar with all those spices, but I know what you mean about a crowded spice cabinet and struggles to organize same.

    I suppose there's a long tradition in many artistic fields of jobbing out some of the work to assistants. They certainly should get some credit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. Cantalope for me is enough flavor, but spicing it up is now on my list to try.
    Art, years ago a spot on TV was about a NY artist had other people paint the actual pieces he signs his name to.
    It's a situation like a ghost writer. The same can be true for interior design...client tells the designer the look they want, chose colors, materials and such that for the designer to put it all together. The designer's name, I believe, is always credited.
    Paint from a photographer's photo, with permission, always credits the image source. Ideas, on the other hand, can be copyright complicated.
    I will not take credit for art that is not by my hand. Inspired by, in the style of, I will always credit the source. It boggles my mind that there are people who don't give credit to the actual creaters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra, yes, let's share a lab! It's going to be fun, just playing with numbers all day!

    And SP yes, I was stunned about that too.

    I do enjoy cantaloupe unadorned, but now and then I like a little playtime with spices. What I don't get is buying beautiful fresh peaches and making a pie! Why pie why? They're perfect already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steve, the tradition you refer to is the artist workshop. The deal was that the artist taught, all the phases, grinding pigment, preparing surfaces, pricking out outlines and in return got to try small areas as part of the apprenticeship. Painters got opportunities for their apprentices with a chance to move on and develop their own art practice.

    That bears pretty much no resemblance to the exploitation we're talking about here. The underlying assumption here is that the bosses are white affluent males, the "help" largely minority, either racial or ethnic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam what happens in my experience anyway is that people watch the artist at work and to the spectator it does look easy as they see the confident lines and passages of color develop. Then they try it maybe. Oh. Some stuff I need to know. At best they sign up to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debra, yes to all that! I used to have a meeting with new clients spelling out everything, guidelines, vet and health info, emergency contacts, pricing.

    I'd spend as long as it took to establish that we could do a good job together. And I'd leave them with my flyer. I'd also show them my bonding and liability insurance proof. Then I'd have to explain about both! When clients wondered about all this I'd remind them that we might never meet in person again, but this arrangement was for as long as needed. In some cases I got successive pets from the same clients. Also their relatives signed up! One family I had three generations at once!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must be a very naive and unworldly 75 year old, for I had no clue about this.

    However, not long ago I learned that in the film days, photographers would mark up a printed photo with what they wanted the dark room editor and printer to do — darker here, lighter there etc. Some base photos bore a lot of marks and had a lot of editing done to them. When people talk of Photoshop with disdain now, they don’t realize how much of this went on in the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AC, tons of post production editing went on back to the invention of photography. You do notice that every time I use your pic I credit you? Walking the walk. Same when I screenshot interesting stuff from other sites, include the originator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sister is a talented long arm quilter, as well as a quilt maker. She has helped her various guilds produce many quilt shows, and gradually won them over (and sometimes forced!) to making the quilt maker credit the quilter. The vast majority of show quilts are machine quilted, and not by the maker. Quilt makers are a selfish bunch of people who worry some upstart will steal their quilter and get an award winning quilt, too. Rubbish. The arts should be open sourced.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes to this. I hadn't realized this particular form, not being a quilter. You remind me that long ago, when I had print material accompanying the broadcast programs I was running,

    I had to insist that the graphic artists be credited in the booklets. Kicking and screaming, because the fear was that they'd be hired away. I saw red and said I'd publicize that attitude if they didn't shape up.

    I also used to visit the graphic department, shoved in the basement, to thank them and show an interest.

    What a burst of loyalty I got. Evidently people didn't express appreciation. I was horrified, and made it clear there would be words said if they didn't get the proper attention from their division bosses. They weren't used to small women with he high voices laying down the law, I guess, broadcasting being largely a male environment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First off, I want to say... putting my spices in a drawer years ago (with labels on the lids as to their contents) has helped me immensely in keeping my spices in order and easily seen.

    Secondly... I appreciate the glimpse into the art world. It's not one I'm familiar with. As a crafter I try to give credit to the designer behind something I've made, or frankly... anything I've done where the inspiration come from someplace other than myself - which is most of the time, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to be a trustee in a public art charity in London, and had a long conversation one day with one of the artists about the distinction (if one exists) between art and craft, between artists and craftsmen/people. She believed there was no distinction (or shouldn't be). I had Becki's view - that I craft based on someone else's design - the design being the art or the inspiration. She maintained that every artist is inspired by what has gone before and very little if anything is truly created out of nothing - we all stand on the shoulders of creators before us; something has served as an inspiration.
    Other reading I did suggested that craft was what women did (sewn and other textile artwork for example), and art was a male domain (painting and sculpture). Women could be artists but they were engaging in male activities. That just made me plain mad...

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I ghost-wrote the cop's book the publishers only wanted his name on the front cover. My name appears in little writing on the back even though I wrote the whole book. "He has written this book with". But that was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Our spices (most of them) are in a drawer in jars with labels on the top...so much easier to locate. Of course the drawer isn't large enough to hold them all but at least the ones we keep in smaller quantities are at hand.
    I noticed Liz Hinds comment about ghost-writing books and that was going to be my comment. I am sure that more of that happens than what the big names let on. I hadn't given much thought to it happening with art as well, but I certainly have noticed it with favourite authors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!