Friday, August 19, 2022

Daring feats, weekend reading and full disclosure

Up front today is the news that as of yesterday, polls are showing a substantial increase in women registering to vote. Jaw dropping, is the phrase of the day. Dobbs may have been an ugly gift in an ugly wrapping.


And this is the midterms, traditionally a time of voter apathy and the party in power dropping congressional seats. So we're hopeful. We need to hold the House and increase the Senate.

In other news (!) I made a daring venture this morning, drove all the way to the library. This involves a couple of towns, many intersections and traffic lights, and is the furthest I've driven post op, as they say in the trade.  My brain can't believe I can see this well without the glasses I've needed for nearly fifty years.  Turns out I can.  Trala.

And here's today's haul, now that I can read regular print and can even fetch the books myself 


I'll let you know how it goes.

I also had an encounter of the nicest kind as I was leaving, reaching out to push the door opener. I noticed a little guy with his Mom watching intently, and asked him if he'd like to push? He leapt to it, I thanked him and pointed out he'd opened TWO doors, the lobby being designed that way 

As I left i heard him all excited "I opened TWO doors! I did. I did open two doors, I did" i have a feeling his mom will have to hear about this mighty feat for a while.  Not unlike old ladies, " I DROVE to the library, I did I did".. 

And I also did some Sock Ministry work, I did, I did, and my shoulder is okay up to now, it is, it is.


Speaking of mighty feats, Mary Moon cleaned her refrigerator. If you don't read her blog you should, she's a terrific writer, see her Bless Our Hearts. 

Anyway she's also a terrific cook, feeding husband, two generations of family, growing food, and canning and pickling. Which means her fridge is a real food workshop.

Mine not so much. I do cook, as you know, and it's usually for one. I bake a lot snd mostly that makes its way to handsome Son and neighbors, never lands in the fridge.

The reveal, complete with protest bumper sticker, visible from the front door.




It echoes. The bottom picture is the chest freezer, not self defrosting, which has a protective inner coating of ice

When Handsome Son was very young I had a big vegetable garden and a big chest freezer. I used to defrost in July, and give the ice chunks to him and the kid next door to have iceball fights in the hot sun. I don't have that motivation right now, so I'll get to it at some point.

Speaking of food, which we are, and self image we're smart enough not to take from the media, here's a take I like


Happy day everyone, we're in charge of the Great Us, and the people who've pissed us off this year, SCOTUS and others,  you'll regret upsetting the distaff side.  Dollars to donuts.

In other good news, Ukraine is holding off the pesky Russkies, and they're trying to invade by feet,  not miles, right now.  Go Ukraine!  Bye Putin.




10 comments:

  1. The boy’s excitement reminds me of what I was told was my earliest or at least very early sentence. We had visited cousins, and apparently, my aunt kept exclaiming about my big, brown eyes. Supposedly, the next day I exclaimed, “I have big brown eyes, I have.” It was the way this boy said it that bought that to mind. I’ll never remember saying that of course, and I am not even sure when my mother told me about it. Was it when I was a teenager or when our first daughter began speaking? Either way, it was a long time ago, I think.

    My goodness, I did go on there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Liz! Thank you for the shout-out. That was so kind of you.
    And guess what? I have a dorm-sized refrigerator that I keep grains and beans and so forth in to keep the bugs out and to prevent them from going rancid. And you don't even want to see my freezer.
    Plus- the freezers and refrigerator in the garage...
    Well.
    Mostly that's all hunter/fisherman gathered food. Maybe some bait. Some beer. The necessities.
    It's a lot. We will not starve for some time.
    What terrific news about driving to the library. Wow! I am so glad your eyes are done and better than ever. And I can just imagine that little boy. I love it when they are proud of something they have done (or have, such as big brown eyes).
    I'm off to make a blackberry/peach pie. I'm in a most cheerful mood today and went to the library myself, as well as the grocery, a thrift store, and to lunch with a daughter. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for you to tell us about Fewer Better Things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the first time I drove along one of the longer streets here after my second eye surgery. It was momentous, seeing the definition of the world stretched out before me! I still notice it, enjoy it and don’t take it for granted!

    Yay for the power of women!

    Have a great weekend, Boud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading regular print books? Driving to the library? YOWZA, those are indeed Mighty Feats! I love that Guide to Body Shapes, LOL! And self-defrosting fridge freezers are the best thing since sliced bread, as far as I'm concerned. Gawd, what a chore that used to be! The pots of boiling water, the chipping out of ice with a screw driver, groan. And it took so long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. O lord am I with Debra on the defrosting of freezers. My first fridge I think was a Sunbeam. It certainly was a hand me down. When I finally saved enough to buy a new one, my electric bill halved. It was a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful post from start to finish!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were great with that little kid. Happy weekend and enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for women voters!!! Rise up ladies and give 'em what for.
    Reading the bit about the little kid and the door reminded me of when our boys were small and I was trying to teach them manners. We walked up to the entrance to the mall and I simply stood there silently in front of the door. One of the boys scurried around me and opened the door, to my profuse thanks. An older gentleman stopped me inside and complimented me on my teaching methods. Obviously they worked because my boys still open doors for people. Now I wonder if they will teach their kids the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Women! Love the body shape cartoon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!