Friday, August 12, 2022

Yay, new day, I can see!

Yesterday's eye work went a treat. Different anesthesiologist, a woman, listened, noted previous aftereffects, made a plan which she explained. It worked so well. Little to no fentanyl, and anti emetic added in. 

I freely admit to preferring women on my medical team. They face many  more  obstacles in training and hiring so the ones who come through it all are superior.  At this point almost all my practitioners are women and I'm in good hands.

However, credit where due, my male surgeon did a flawless job, and here I am reading, writing, posting on a tiny screen, no glasses. Wheeee! 

I really appreciate the friendship you and other people have shown. I think the real test of friendship is not so much helping when friends are struggling, good as that is, because that puts us into a power position. 

I think a better indicator is when friends are happy when things go gloriously right, even when they wish they'd been as blessed. That's generous 

Yesterday got better and better. Gary stopped over a couple of times to check after Handsome Son left, and we were pottering about outside, got  into the subject of making string. I've shown his grandkids various art forms over the years. The older one is more interested in sports now, but the six year old loves crafts.

So I said fine, next time she's over I'll show her string making, from picking leaves to making her own string supply. Gary loves all the arts and was very happy. I said after she learns, she can show her friends, too. So that will happen. 

While we were in the house rummaging through my string stash, which intrigued him greatly,  I remembered something I've been meaning to do for ages. 

He loves this charcoal drawing, often he wanders around the house enjoying the art and now this one's his, a present. 

He's very excited and is planning a place for it. It's still here for the moment, but I'll deliver it if, and when, as expected, he forgets! 

This one has an origin story. Years ago I noticed the shrubs at a local nursery, burlapped and tied for winter protection, and noticed how human they looked. 

I did a few drawings, in charcoal, of them, on various papers,  some showing the support stakes. When exhibited, people insisted they were people, refugees, look, that lady's pregnant, where did you see them? I pointed out the stakes, but the illusion persisted. People even got a bit annoyed over it because obviously they were people!

This is the best drawing, I think, and I eliminated the stakes! The photo is a bit distorted here, but the framing isn't, in real life.

I just went further into the illusion, guided by my audience.

Here's the original old film photo, now attached to the back as part of the story.


So that was a really vintage day. Everything's so bright now I'm wearing sunglasses in the sunny living room even. Who is that mystery lady in the wraparound dark glasses! Just back from Mar a Lago?? 

Happy day everyone, hope we can all see better through the fog of fascism and fight back. I'm hoping Jared goes down next..



12 comments:

  1. I don’t mind women doctors. Our GP is a she as was my recent MOH’s surgeon. My recent urologist was female although she is gone now. My dentist is also female.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your surgery went well -- congrats on the "new eyes" and seeing clearly! And what a lovely gift for Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, hurray, hurray, dear Liz! Your eyes are done and like new and you can see the light again! And not just a metaphor, either! I am so happy that it went so well this time and that you were listened to. That is the main thing I like about my doctor now- he listens. Absolutely listens. And hears.
    That charcoal is very cool. Of course we can see the people in it- the human eye is so good at that. "Pareidolia" is the word and yes, I absolutely had to google that.
    I am thrilled that Garland is pushing to release the Mar-A-Lago search warrant contents. Now what will the ex-pres do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a female GP and she's the best yet - even Resident Chef, who you would think would be more comfortable with a male doctor, thinks she's wonderful. We lucked out when we got her and it was all thanks to your sister!!
    I am so happy that you can now put the whole eye ordeal behind you (well, except for those blasted drops, that is) and that you have great vision. I'm sure you're doing a happy dance behind those sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news! Happy Surgery Success!
    The drawing is fantastic. I see the people forms, abstract art style with personality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really pleased that you are passing on the crafting to impressionable young minds. Habits formed young - like creativity habits - will stand them in good stead for a life time. Pleased to read that the eye surgery went really well, amazed how quickly anyone who has that procedure is back using eyesight (no bandages, darkened rooms etc).
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news! I'm happy for you, that you got through this one well. This is a lovely gift to Gary, he must feel really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad your eye surgery went well. It's got to feel great to have that all finished and your vision so improved. What a great idea to attach the photo to the back of the drawing -- it's important that people understand the source of the image, even if they saw (and hopefully continue to see) human likenesses in the shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for great vision! I prefer women doctors too but we don’t get any choice here. We are lucky to have a doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the day we were waiting for, the day you could see again. Well done, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I clearly haven't been keeping up! Somehow I thought your second eye was finished already. So glad all of that is behind you, and you are seeing the world more brightly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent news about your eyes. And, sorry, they're definitely people.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!