Monday, August 29, 2022

Nature, wild and tame, homeschooling

 The honesty never came back this year after several years of faithfully reappearing each year , and almost all the neighboring honesty was destroyed by the fence project, so I was glad to find at least a few seedpods lying about as I was out walking 


and back home just dropped them into the honesty pot in hopes.

Since my accidental gardening was so much more successful than my on purpose gardening this year, I'm starting a new policy of non-involvement. Things seem to go better when I leave them alone.

And here's a little insect I last saw ages ago on this very clump of grass


Perpetual motion, not very good picture. His colors are startling, so vivid. I believe they're a warning to birds not to eat, a defense mechanism of some sort.

Here's a better picture


No milkweed for miles around, so I'm not sure why he keeps showing up.

And some people like them enough to get their tiny red eggs and create a habitat for them



Homeschooling according to the dialog. The youngster explains it's a class pet!

Not that the homeschoolers I'm familiar with around here actually sit at a table at home with a parent teaching as if in a classroom. Usually the idea is not to translate the classroom idea to home, but to unschool, hiring teaching talent, and taking trips and expeditions to learn subject matter and develop thinking skills.

The reason I've come into contact is that around here homeschoolers usually form alliances and hire teachers for subjects the parents aren't up for. 

I used to teach the occasional young student art at the studio, with parents staying out of the way. I'd explain what we were doing and why, in case they had to report to the regular school authorities on progress. 

I had one student I really loved, great little kid, wonderful sense of humor. His mother was a physicist, and taught various sciences to their group at a rented location in a church basement. 

I used to avoid the parents wanting to hire me to do exactly what, and only what,  they dictated, on the grounds that if you can't teach a subject, no background in it, it's better, when you hire, to let the teacher do the teaching.  

One of my friends got caught up, briefly,  in a group that wanted her to teach art to their rules -- one week shading, another week perspective, another week color theory. To kids aged six to eight. No logical sequence, no art integrity, no age appropriateness, just stuff they'd probably seen in bullet points. She was an experienced class art teacher, and I think they lost a good chance there. But this can happen.

I never taught perspective as such, it being an architectural rendering concept not a fine art one. I used to teach seeing, and perspective would follow naturally.  No need to beat it into shape.

And the groups who said I had to sign on to their religious beliefs in order to teach their kids an hour a week didn't get far with me!

There are different reasons for homeschooling, some religious, some where kids are outside of the usual range of abilities or temperaments.  

A kid operating several grade levels above her age can't very well be accommodated in even the most flexible public school program. Age seems to be a big factor in class placement.

Likewise some kids on the autism spectrum just can't fit in, even in special needs groups, and are bullied. Anyway parents make different decisions. They don't all subscribe to the industrial education complex which works for a lot of students. 

It must be Labor day coming up, turning my thoughts to schooling, long after it no longer affects me. No more August shopping for school shoes!

I'm looking for a parcel of yarn from Joanne about now, my fall knitting program about to start. That's the good news.

This is the year of bodily breakdowns around here. This week sees the final  post-surgical eye checkup , then the first of the twice a year  osteoporosis shots, which I'm doing with trepidation, but some hope it will be effective. Then last evening a chunk of molar fell off.  It doesn't hurt, but it's added an expensive dentist visit probably next week, sigh. Always something.

I really have to get a social life that doesn't mean a round of doctors! And I'm a relatively fit person, amazing how they take over.

Anyway happy day everyone! May all your health issues be the result of falling off your skateboard at age 90!





15 comments:

  1. I don't know what I think about home schooling. I think it's detrimental when it's religiously based, either content or reason for it. the kids don't get exposed to other ideas. Hiring tutors though is a good idea especially, as you say, when several families come together for whatever subject. And not all kids learn the same way though our public school system only teaches one way. There's a lot of good to be said for our public school system and a lot of not so good. My kids went to montessori pre-school and 1st grade before going to public school and then they were in the Vanguard program which winnowed out the smartest quickest kids from the general population. They were learning above their grade which benefitted them but some of the complaints were that taking these kids out of the general classroom had a negative effect on those left. I personally went to a private school 1 - 7 and then begged my parents to send me to public school. It wasn't the pressure of the academics that ran me off but the social pressure of a small school and the same kids year after year. I was a floater, never completely 'in' or 'out' and never really knew from day to day or week to week which it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are homeschool groups around here based on religious beliefs. One family I know of has at least ten children, maybe more. They are part of the "quiver full" movement, I think. I will say that the mother has those children in all sorts of theater and art programs and projects which is good. Whatever opportunity the local community offers, it seems like. The public schools in the county I live in are notoriously awful so I suppose that whatever the mother is doing can't be much worse than that. There seems to be a big community of homeschoolers and they get together for social activities. I often see them down at the river and all of the children seem incredibly well behaved. Preternaturally so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just this week, I've heard of two people (friends of friends) who "converted" to Catholicism in order to get a teaching job in the Catholic school system. One was Protestant and the other Jewish. Both essentially crossed their fingers behind their backs while being baptized. A job's a job, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of people needing to be Catholic to teach in the parochial school, but maybe that's just me.. And a baptized protestant is already done. That's what "one baptism for the remission of sins" means. It's nondenominational. So I guess this confuses me! You can't be baptized Catholic or anything else. I guess this is not well understood. But then I was educated by FCJ and Jesuits, heavy on doctrinal analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say there are limited reasons to home school. Those I've known did it to keep their children in a religious and homogeneous bubble.

    I don't know what honesty seeds are?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t understand the home schooling trend but whatever…

    ReplyDelete
  7. That milkweed bug is striking. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a milkweed bug. I've certainly never seen one. There must be milkweed somewhere in your area, unless they also eat other things.

    I associate homeschooling almost exclusively with religious extremists, so thanks for reminding me that there can be other reasons for wanting to homeschool a child. (I still think it's a tall order for most parents, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra: honesty, lunaria, is also known as money plant and moon flower. I bet you know it by other names.

    Recently right wing home schoolers have been getting a lot of negative attention, unsurprisingly considering their statements. But, yes, there are reasons other than religious cults for homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our oldest grandie was homeschooled last year due to their concern over covid and now, as we expected, they're having to continue with it because he's hugely ahead of his peers academically. Luckily our DIL is trained as a Montessori teacher so that part of it is fairly easy for her. Our concern is centered around whether he is getting enough socialization with kids his own age, something that's difficult to provide in a homeschooling environment. Not up to us though, fortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The socialization is why parents form groups. Usually home schoolers have tons of age mates to hang out with. Covid changed that, of course. But it will return.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know so little about homeschooling. So many not so twenty somethings brightly declaring, "Oh, we're goin; ta homeschool our childern," and I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think lot of people forced by Covid to deal with their kids' schooling at home on top of their own wfh jobs, came to realize it's a luxury for people who can afford not to have their own 9-5 jobs too.

    And that's not even getting into issues of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our garden has evolved mostly into a place of benign neglect except, I suppose, for the many posts of petunias strewn about.

    While I cn appreciate that there are varied reasons for home schooling, I can’t help but think that most of it is for the purpose of indoctrination, and this can suck funds out of the public system.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not possible to take funds from the school system in this state, anyway. School taxes are part of property tax, paid directly by owners, indirectly by tenant. Doesn't matter whether you have children in the system.

    Doesn't matter if you homeschool or private school, you pay for public schools, as well as other expenses for education.

    We live in a state with so much incoming population largely because of the public schools, that the school pop isn't decreased by home schoolers. In fact we're constantly having to build to accommodate incoming students.

    I think there are different systems elsewhere, and maybe you live in one?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!