Friday, August 26, 2022

More shoes, Pantone art, The Crown

Yesterday I discovered this wonderful native American archaeologist, on YouTube, showing how to make sandals from broad leaf yucca, with laces from narrow leaf yucca. 





See her video for the whole process which you can definitely do if you have access to yucca, which I don't. 

It's very thoughtful and takes the foot, size, pressures in different parts of the sole, need for protection from sharp rocks, all that, into account. Shoes for dry country.

And she makes the cordage for the laces more simply than the Sally Pointer neolithic approach. Instead of twisting then bending one group over the other, she starts with the u shape but rolls the two sides in parallel, then lets them curl up together 

I had to try this, looked so labor saving. Forgetting that she's a lifelong expert, with literally thousands of years of family experience.

So I tried with daylily leaves



Best I could do. Then I tried the paleolithic way


This worked better. It occurs to me that I can make shoelaces like this for sneakers. Hm.

I haven't made it to the thriftie yet, driving not quite ready, but there will be leather slippers in my future, maybe with daylily thongs to fasten them.

This weekend, though, the library is in range, and today I'm picking up The Crown, season four. I seem to remember giving up on season three after the Aberfan episode, too much like voyeurism. But we'll see about season four. 



And today's art is the ever changing display of accordion books, this one the Pantone collection




Happy day everyone, I guess it's the weekend though my days don't vary that much. 



13 comments:

  1. Shoes, by virtue of their fit and function, have not really changed that much, have they? I am glad that we don't have to make our own anymore.
    I love the Pantone Art! How perfect! As are your laces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pantone accordion book looks so bright and colourful on your mantel! To answer the question you asked on my blog, my drawings were done on 12" x 16" paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am up to dat on The Crown with one more in the works, apparently. I've enjoyed them, but maybe that is not quite the right word. Intrigued, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Debra, that's good info. Also very nice renderings. You have a good eye.

    Mary, yes I doubt anyone would have shelves of shoes if we had to make them!

    AC, the Crown has now gone beyond when I left England, which was during the Profumo affair, so those earlier episodes I lived through. After that I have to take their word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had to make my shoes I would be lucky to own one pair. Winter would be a problem. :) The second method of cording looks really nice. I would never have known about any of this without you. I haven't watched The Crown, I think it's on Netflix, which I gave up a month ago. Days of the week don't matter much to me, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making your own shoes is a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In winter you'd be wearing fur from animals you'd trapped. Tricky, first hunt your boots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way beyond my skill level, but very interesting to see how Native Americans use the yucca plant for shoes (and other uses as well). We have quite a few Mohave Yucca on our property near Joshua Tree and they are common all over the high desert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is so much we can learn from the First Nations people!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary was so respectful of the plant and reminding us to take some, leave a gift if only words of thanks, only take parts of plant you need. Very traditional care for nature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your paleolithic shoe strings are pretty darn cool.
    I'm through all of the Crown and waiting for a new season to drop

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting shoes - wouldn't be much use in the rain I don't suppose.
    Haven't watched The Crown. For some reason Resident Chef has zero interest in anything to do with the monarchy so I rarely get to see such things.
    And, only you would think to make an accordian book using paint samples!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shoes are made in and for the climate. Yucca is a dry country plant, so the shoes work fine. Wet climates, different plants and animal sources, different shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!