Saturday, August 6, 2022

Misfits, cherries and a successful struggle

 The Misfits box arrived very promptly yesterday, with the cherries.




Also white potatoes, ready for a change from yelliw, good as they are.

And since the cherries are so good there's a chance there may not be enough left for the proposed cake, I thought I'd better pit enough, to make a pinch of them.

I don't have a cherry pitter, not being a fan of single use tools. Or single use anything, if there's an option. So here's what I tried.


The qtip gripped the pit, but couldn't eject it. The skewer could eject it but only after stabbing all over, skidding off it. snd showering tho  cook with juice.  The spoon could scoop the pit out but not free it first. The little parer is probably going to do it. I didn't have a plastic straw in the house, or I'd have tried that. 

I don't usually pit cherries. If I'm eating I pit and spit as I go. If they're for jam, I cook them whole and fish the pits out after the boiling has released them.

Kitchen engineering at work. HS better like this cake is all I can say.

And yesterday was largely devoted to struggling online,  including completing the medical passport information required for next Thursday's Second Eye Work. 

It took a long time, since it rejected my user ID despite numerous tries, finally asking them to send it. Many security questions and screens later they did. The same one I'd been entering all along. 

Same shenanigans with the password, ended up creating another just as I'd had to last time. Finally after numerous more security questions and screens, did that and got in. About 45 minutes to accomplish this. 

Then the updating was another lengthy process. Finally after most of the morning was over, it's done, complete, and acknowledged by them.

Then I eas asked to confirm next week's eye doctor appointment. The link didn't work, clicked or entered manually, on any device. I ended up calling and confirming with a nice human being.

Okay, two down. Then the surgical center called and I paid their fee. I tried last week and they wouldn't take my money. First experience I ever had whete a medical establishment turned down my $$.

Three down. Then the rx people texted to say I needed to refill, with another link that didn't work. 

I tweeted their corporate to say wtf only politer, and when they asked me to start all over with info ( their dm function not available to me, how to do this??) I curtly referred then to their own customer support.

I also asked them, again, if there's a phone number to order. Finally somebody dmd it to me. In the middle of this, corporate called, full of apologies and did the reordering for me. 

They asked me which meds and I refrained from shouting I can't get in to find that out! So she looked up the account, found almost everything needed to reup, did it. 

By then it was late afternoon and though I'm glad I ended up Boud 4 tech nil, it wasn't my preferred way to spend a hot summer's day.

Though I did end it with baked cod and white potato roasted fries, so there's that.

This morning is a better day. Evidently there was a beautiful rain during the night and the garden's happy. The butterfly bushes, plural, are booming, and Gary's thrilled about it.

And here's a thing


This is not spiderwebs, but the veiling createf by the dollar spot fungus, of which I have plenty in the pachysandra. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm, just making these artworks in the rain, diamonds in nets.

So all's well, and here's some art to celebrate with





We get smaller versions of the last art, only in chalk, on local sidewalks around Diwali.

Happy day everyone, press on, enjoy the good bits.




17 comments:

  1. You know, when you consider what a web is intended to do (by a spider), then your experience on the worldwide web yesterday certainly fulfilled that role--captured you in a tangle of strings. Not helpful.

    Have had the same experience with getting my RX's from my mail order pharmacy. RX's on (supposedly) auto renewal don't come half the time, so I have track them down anyway. I've just been started on a new med and had to get it from a local pharmacy to start it immediately. No problem. Not sure I want to bother adding it to the mail order system--fortunately, it isn't that expensive. But still, sigh.

    Best of luck with the second surgery. Hope the remaining time leading up to it is calmer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a computer technology nightmare! Glad it got all sorted out but it required the patience of Job on your part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the sort of techno futility that could send a person to hide under the bed and whimper. You did it though!
    Your experience with the cherry pitting is why I buy lovely frozen pitted ones for smoothies and cooking. Fresh for eating out of hand. Again- I admire your persistence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My life has been sucked dry at times in the hours (which added together would probably amount to weeks) I've spent on the phone for the last year and a half - both with the business of settling my deceased brother's estate, and trying to get answers to my health insurance questions. I tell you that to commiserate. For all our technology and ability to digitally store and therefore access information easily, the left hand still too often doesn't know what the right hand does (or why it does it). Glad you got your issued resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's not a way to spend a day. The only positive is eventually it was resolved. When I have pitted cherries, which isn't much, I just cut them with a paring knife and pried the pit out. That does mean it's not a whole cherry anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just for the people who didn't realize; I can't safely drive around at the moment in search of frozen cherries. I haven't seen them, frozen or canned for years in the shops I go to when I can drive. Fresh from Misfits is the only option. Far from my choice! But enough are now pitted and chunked ready to bake tomorrow it will be good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you had a time of it.

    Why good log in information is rejected is a mystery. I highly suspect it is a glitch they know, and do not want to be bothered fixing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dealing with the medical establishment via technology is nothing but frustration in my experience. Oh how I wish everything was done in person or by phone still.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SP, I'm darkly suspicious too.especially when Lily the IT person said well, the links work for me. OF COURSE THEY DO. You're at command central, every effin thing works from there. Your job is to find out why it doesn't work here. Breathe, boud, breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I like the machine embroidered swallows.
    If DS will request many more cherry pies, a pitter might be in order. Or, a cooked filling, releasing the pits. Do you spoon them out then?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't make pies, usually. And this year there are no local cherries at all, second year they failed. So they're not on the radar. But this was just a few to add in to a chocolate cake. once my vision is sorted I can shop to see what's available in the frozen department. If he's interested, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a day! Congrats on Boud 4, tech nil - but not the way I'd choose to spend a day either.

    Today I attended a two hour luncheon hosted by an Iraqi friend, with two of her fellow students from ESL class - one Russian and one Nepali. Seven hours later we disbanded. What a terrific adventure for non-social Chris! You can't imagine the heaps of multicultural food! And a good reminder that there are (many) good Russian people despite their leader.

    Despite the over-indulged tummy, I'll be standing in line for that hard-won chocolate cherry cake!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  13. And those barn swallows swirling with the colors. Wow! And the intricacy of the paper cutting and rice flour painting! Double-wow!

    Chris from Boise again

    ReplyDelete
  14. Geez, I am so sorry you had to deal with their IT problem. I do hope you both enjoy the cherry cake and happy birthday to handsome son.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also had some login difficulties yesterday but not like yours. Mine got resolved easily in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I notice that all my online problems are with medical sites. Which means they're cheaping out on software or personnel or both. Not attracting the best and brightest. Like local government.

    ReplyDelete
  17. At least there's one thing - being all wrapped up in online angst meant you didn't have time to think about what mischief you could get into that would further aggravate your shoulder. For every cloud...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!