Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Fallow week, Textiles and Tea, contrasts

 So yesterday after a night when I had to get up in search of an icy-hot pain patch for my  shoulder, to get sone sleep , because of a little bit of cording, I did the previous day I made nothing. 

It looks as if even a tiny bit of making is causing a physical uproar, so I've resolved, first time in my long life as far as I know, to make nothing this week. Since it's feeling a bit better after one day off, this might be wise.

To say this is causing an emotional and mental uproar is putting it mildly. If you're an obsessive maker, you'll get it.  And yesterday was filled with walking, blessedly cool day, reading and YouTubeing. 

Now I need to plan how to make good use of the week of Not Making. It occurs to me this is a good time to revisit some of my art books, especially the textile histories and just btowse, without leaping to execute the ideas I'll no doubt get.  I may need moral support in this endeavor, dear friends, please rally round!

On the subject of textiles and history, do you remember my campaigning to get the Handweavers  Guild of America, who present the wonderful Textiles and Tea series', to be more inclusive?

 I noticed the privileged lily-whiteness week after week, probably going for people they already knew. Anyway they were very open, and I sent them a bunch of contact's to go from. Now look;



I don't want to take credit, because for all I know, they've been working on this for ages. But I did write a hugely excited email thanking them, as soon as I saw this month's lineup. You nay be sure I'll keep up the pressure, i mean encouragement, so that this doesn't become a token month.

Meanwhile out in the garden, accidental gardening is doing well. Cherry tomatoes appearing

The butterfly bush turns out to be several separate plants. Compared to Gary's giaht one next door it does look like it. 

Probably an offspring, since the birds were feeding all winter on the topmost blossoms, too high to deadhead, which went to seed.  And it's growing exactly where the old cherry tree was, also planted by birds. 

I think I should probably turn it all over to nature and birds, since they're doing at least as well as I am.

Here's the spiderwort, revived after cool rain


Blue sparks of color in unpromising earth.

And I love the contrast of textures here


Black eyed susans against the concrete path.

In other news, Twitter tells me I'm seven!


I must say it brings a lot of interest into my life, and yours too, since some of the images you enjoy, always credited,  in this blog come from my carefully curated Twitter feed, all good stuff. 

Happy day everyone, new paths for old this week. How would you handle it?




19 comments:

  1. Diversity is always a good thing! Kudos to you for raising the issue and making suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a lot of neck stiffness leading to headaches for about 5 days. This is the second day of some improvement. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know all too well what it's like to be forced to take down time away from our creative pursuits after spending nearly 8 weeks without being able to see after my cataract surgeries. It was 8 weeks of pure h-e-double-hockey-sticks. I could sort of see to watch tv but mostly relied on shows where I was familiar with the characters so I could 'see' them in my mind. Eight weeks of not being able to see well enough to stitch was sheer torture. Luckily I was able to embiggen the font on the computer and could mostly see to surf the internet. It's fortunate for you that it's still summer and you can spend time on your deck and perusing art books is good even if you're only able to see the pictures. Perhaps have a look through the library web site and see what art books they have in their collection that you can borrow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The art books at the library are mostly what I've donated!! Or recommended. But I see you do get it. Too hot for the deck except early morning. Back up to high 90s again this week. Enjoying early mornings though. Too hot to go to the library.

    AC I hope you continue to do well. This alas is the second month of these issues chez Boud. But I'm hopeful it's starting to do better. Takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard as I know it is for you to do, you must rest your shoulder. Think of it as buying a future of making. It won't be long before you have fresh tomatoes from your volunteer. Burst cherry tomato sauce....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It didn’t take you long to find something else to occupy your time, Boud. There is always something to do. I am never bored either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers your shoulder heals
    Maybe time for a sports doctor visit? Otherwise, a robot companion helper might be a consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This may be a very silly question but have you considered going to the doctor about your shoulder? Or have you already? I know that not-making is almost unbearably hard for you.
    How terrific that Textiles and Tea are featuring those weavers! I have no doubt that your voice has been instrumental in that. Good on you! And good on them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pain in my shoulder was not from making but the pain in my thumb joints usually is. They will zap me all night after an intense day of using my hands. I hope it's not rotator cuff related. Mine is/was (as it will zing me now and then if I move in a certain way. I had to stop doing certain yoga asanas for months until it healed. Does painting bother your shoulder? I would think the movement would be minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, and SP: I simply can't take on another doctor visit. My vision isn't currently reliable enough to drive that distance myself, much traffic. And it would probably result in rx in addition to all the powerful stuff I'm already using for the eyes, not wise, and/or physio to which I equally can't get. or she'd tell me to do what I'm doing!

    HS simply can't take more time to drive me than he already is taking. So for all these reasons I'm getting the surgeries over and then if necessary will check with a doctor. But I appreciate your concerns, don't mean to ",yes but" you.

    The thing to remember is that medical issues in your eighties are dramatically different from even ten years younger. My body is gradually wearing out, and I may need to rethink a few things, not just a week of not making.

    I had to set these priorities at the outset when this started up in early July, subtle at first, then more pressing. The first eye already scheduled, so once launched, had to complete it.

    I notice it ebbs a bit when I'm less stressed, too. So there you go.

    I think reducing use while still moving gently is probably the way to go for now. I also think I've gassed on about this long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elken, thank you, yes, I've been thinking about a bit of painting and drawing, to see if it's less taxing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry if posted already. County community services in some areas have transportation at no cost to the rider. In this area, call a week before appointment to book, round trip or one way. They even do grocery shopping trips. The elderly, no matter what income, would do well to know what services are available. I think it helps reduce stress.
    There are also medical services that do online visits. If follow up is needed, then arrangement might be possible. In pain and discomfort as long as you have been with that shoulder, is negativrly impacting your overall health.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My right shoulder has kicked up again. A period of inactivity quieted it and now I just ease up when it flares again. Other than that, I have no advice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like good advice to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh well done you on complaining/campaigning! And now REST!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What's your - um - handle? On Twitter? So I can follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Liz, unsurprisingly, it's @Fieldandfen

    Mainly so I could remember it, but I just had to check then!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!