Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The Sock Ministry rises again , and other exploits

 Here's what went off today to Sock HQ


This is probably pairs 17 and 18,  but who's counting.

About the corporate exhibit Mary wanted to know more about, it predates today's digital pix, also was not up for pictures at all, proprietary information and concern about industrial espionage, very exciting. So you'll have to take my word for it.

Anyway I was invited to solo in rather a large corporate gallery, my choice of subject, medium, all that.

So I put on a display of fifty, yes, really, prints, half state of the art at the time, computer assisted, half the other end of the spectrum, hand pulled and inked monotypes. The idea being Prints, Ancient and Modern.

Since they couldn't permit the general public into their facility, which was their ghq also their research facility, they arranged for my opening to take place when the max employees could be there. And did an eblast to make it happen.

The place was mobbed, many questions, loads of interest. This was the only group, many techies, I didn't have to explain the computer work to! 

This was before using the computer in any art environment was ever heard of. Full credit to the art faculty, Rivera and colleagues,  of Mercer County College in the 80s for setting up the lab and coursework so artists could increase their repertoire of art making tools. It changed my life at that time.  

Back to the people at the opening: they got exactly how challenging this was, and how getting the work from the disk into a tangible form for framing was quite a trip. You really needed a nimble mind to navigate all these new ideas and options at once, while creating art.

But they were totally excited about the monotypes, art made so simply by hand with ink, a glass plate, a baren (rubbing block), hands, and burnishers. 

I remember people making rapid notes as I explained reductive and additive methods, high risk art when the ink would only be workable for a couple of minutes. Definitely my cup of tea, just total focus, go for it. Many times.  

At the end of the exhibit, the usual month long, management picked four pieces to buy for their corporate collection. Great caper! 

So that was an interesting side effect of the petcare biz. Clients took an interest and were supportive. 

It did take high energy to run a busy business and all that takes, and a busy art life, and pay proper attention to both, so I'm glad I did it when I could. 

The thing is that art can't happen in a vacuum. A busy life outside the studio  feeds what you make when you're working.  So when you need to provide yourself with a living, it isn't such a bad deal.  It's a full life

Speaking of which, here's my local school district getting parents up to date.


I thought the Bible was fixed, but evidently you can add in amendments and updates. Who knew?

And Ukrainian Independence is on the 24th, so here's the great mouser cat who lives at 10 Downing Street posing with the display.



Photo credits Justin Ng

Happy day everyone! Cleaners here today so I'm out doing errands and staying out of the way. Home soon to a clean house, joy.

Enjoy your day.





.

15 comments:

  1. You've had an interesting life.Animals and art, my cup of tea! The people getting your socks have to feel lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well! I'm so glad I asked! That was a fascinating tale of your corporate art instillation! Thank you, dear Liz!
    I am excited for you to return to your clean home. What a terrific and sweet thing and honey, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's one cool dude that cat. You should have seen the eviction letter he wrote to the last tenant, telling him to move out. We like hus floral display and he will make a better job of PM than his tenant had been doing. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting art show you created! And I laughed at your Genesis/Bible joke. Love that photo of Larry the Chief Mouser of 10 Downing Street showing his support for Ukraine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Larry! Didn't want to be outdone by your art installation.
    I have a dresser drawer full of sock yarn, but I won't dump it on you unaware. Are you interested. It's all merino or merino blend, machine washable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed catching up on your last two posts, Liz. Fun reminiscing. And another glimpse into an artist's world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanne, yes, I'm interested in the sock yarn now that it seems I can knit again. Thank you. I've used almost all the yarn sister M of the Knitting ministry sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That seems like a remarkable event. Good on ya, as they say.

    Imagine having your phone number posted for eternity. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  9. Larry the Cat is the most trustworthy being in that building.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Larry has his priorities straight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your last two posts have been most interesting, Boud. I agree that "fun" jobs take a LOT of work, invisible to the people looking on. Thanks for explaini8ng more about the corporate showing.

    I'm sure you don't need to hear this: don't overdo it on the shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, in fact I do need my friends to remind me to watch the shoulder. I can't be trusted to remember. So don't hesitate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hooray, Liz. Watch for a box that is fits, not misfits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much Joanne! This may be my fall sock ministry coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you are able to get back to your knitting again - just don't overdo it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!