Sunday, August 7, 2022

Mystery plant, moringa and oakgalll ink

This morning's wander in the early morning cool revealed another sudden mystery plant, probably another escapee from next door. 

I'm guessing some variety of squash, but if you, or your app, know better, please say. Beautiful leaves, perfect for leaf printing..

And my moringa, grown from a seed from Arizona, is doing well. I started another as a houseplant but the winter light levels were too low and it eventually gave up. 


In the much higher light levels of Arizona, they grow as trees up to 90 feet I'm told. So this is an infant.

And the thyme is flowering now, woody but persisting.


Back indoors, full disclosure, I made a few inches of Iris string


I had unwrapped the fibers, kept damp in a napkin in a plastic bag, in case they were mildewed from waiting, but they're fine, so I tried a bit and will now desist for a few more days or resting the shoulder.

Anyway there's yet another adventure to add to my plans: oak gall ink. 

I've made walnut ink, as you know, and given it to students. But I supposed oak galls were attached to trees. Not so, as I found from Sally Pointer, who has gathered them from among acorns on the ground.

Having found that out, i checked further online, in the British Library and Getty museum YouTube channels, highly recommend both.

Turns out it's not a big deal to make oak gall ink, just takes a bit of time. It's indelible, permanent, waterproof, and if you don't make it right, corrosive! It can eat through the paper or vellum. 

Which means the ink makers who provided for the Canterbury Tales and Magma Carta and Declaration of Independence knew their stuff. As well as all the other mss.

I've often wondered what happens if you make a mistake on a manuscript. You can use the knife you used to make and sharpen your quill pen to scrape it out! Phew.

And yes, in the past I've made rather rough and ready quill pens from locally found feathers, and used them to write and draw a bit.  Need you ask?

Anyway here's my fall plans, as soon as acorns fall, to make ink and maybe a quill pen or two. This hot year might have been good for galls, which result from wasp attacks. You can see the hole in the gall where the wasp departed, no danger of bringing home an irritated wasp.














Always good to have something to look forward to, as well as cooler days. You can order galls online if you don't have local oak trees.

Today I'm baking the chocolate cherry cake.

Later I'll deliver the card and enclosure so Handsome Son gets a nice surprise when he arrives home late tonight from work  

He lives a couple of minutes'drive away, I can do this. This way it will be there in time. My tiny baby is going to be 55! Unbelievable.

Happy day everyone, make plans for adventures in everything, play and work and rest and we got this.



11 comments:

  1. I have no idea what that plant is but definitely not a squash. Ink and quill pens, another entry for your DIY book for when it all comes crashing down. The cake sounds good. My little babies are 45 and 43!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your Handsome Son -- 55 yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing woman! I loved this post. There are oak calls on the small and twisted oaks here in the canyon, I had no idea ink could be made from them. I only have junipers on my land but friends have oaks, I will tell them about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My plant app says you have a papaya! Yay!
    Making gall ink sounds fascinating! You have to wonder who it was who decided to try galls for ink making. I mean- it seems so random!
    Anyway, I hope you give us a picture of the cake. I am sure it will be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Papaya can't tolerate our winter. And it's right up against the butterfly bushes plural. I'll have to think about this. Ut thank you for checking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine says castor bean
    Nell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Gum leaves look the same on the mystery plant in 1st photo, (lobed leaf plant images search).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learn something every time I come here. In the short time I've known you I know I do not need to ask, of course you've made quill pens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your young man!

    Oak hall ink is a new one for me, Boud. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My granddaughter attended her father's wedding this weekend and showed me a picture. I said how lovely, but he's growing a bit bald. Granddaughter said He is getting old, you know. He's the same age as mom! That's only 55 I said. She looked at me like I had two heads, and I realized I was talking to a twenty year old.
    Happy birthday to your dear son.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oak gall ink! That's pretty innovative -- at least for me! (Even though it's been around hundreds of years.)

    Nell might be right about the castor bean. I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!