Sunday, August 14, 2022

A day of one thing leading to another

Yesterday was about not getting. I went off to the farm for Roma plum tomatoes to make tomato lemon Amish jam. Amazingly, they were out of Romas. Usually a prime crop, and advertised in their current newsletter. 

I was there early, maybe they were still picking. I can try again but will probably buy for the freezer for winter spaghetti sauce.

But I still had in mind jars sterilizing in boiling water and some interesting fruit stuff boiling away in the other pot.

So peaches, not up to eating fresh, pinch of sumac, bit of cane sugar, dash of vanilla, cooked down and blended,  became some sort of butter or sauce or something.




And, one recipe of  pancake batter later, a nice supper, and planned Sunday morning breakfast.

Then later I went walking in the lovely, not too hot sunshine, in search of early possible fallen oak galls for ink. There's a spot close to home where acorns fall in masses.

But the whole woodland edge had evidently been cut back and cleared, as if vacuumed up.  Clean as a whistle. Even the brambles I was hoping to pick were cleared out. Just too tidy. This cleanup must have happened while I was busy last week. Well, I still hope for oak galls as the season goes on.

Back home I noticed the snake plant had a large broken leaf. So instead of tossing it, I thought I could see if it would make good cord.



So I split it and it's drying now. This is one to be a bit careful with, since the sap can irritate mucous membranes if it gets near your mouth or eyes. I washed my hands after this.  This is an interesting plant to propagate. This one I grew from a plant I took care of one summer for a neighbor. It went to camp on my porch, and I took one leaf as a fee.

You can propagate by cutting sections of the leaf and just sticking them in earth. Every part of this current plant grew from that method. 

But here's the cool part -- the plant knows up from down, and you have to plant each leaf section the same way up as it grew, or it won't root. So even plants have a better sense of direction than I have. Sad for me, really.

And last noontime, while my salmon and roast fries were cooking, aka fish 'n chips, here with capers and fresh picked thyme 

I set up a new accordion book display of a series of botanicals, very seasonal.


Right after lunch, Gary came dashing in, he was about to grill, could he make me a hamburger?  On realizing I was clearing up after lunch,  he said oh man, timing's out!

I did a bit of Sally Pointer study later,  reminded of her by the oak gall search and because I'd tried something like this as a kid, always fancied handmaking my own shoes.

Hers are pretty authentic though, style dating back 5,000 years.






She cuts and stitches as shown, then wets them through, eases them on for a good fit, and lets them dry on her feet. Custom fit.

I was pretty young when I made mine, no pattern or leather tools, just an urge.

Somewhere I got a scrap of pink soft leather I was able to cut with scissors and stitch with a darner, and made a pair of sandals with a strap. I cut soles, then stitched the upper on, added a Mary Jane type strap to keep them on. 

I remember they were very thin underfoot, not real suited to the sidewalks, no fields at that point in my life. These soft shoes do better on grass and earth. But I was so pleased about trying anyway, despite side-looks from older sibs, now what does she think she's doing.

I fact I wonder now if I can get a soft leather or suede bag or jacket from the thriftie to try for fall house slippers. I'm putting that on the list. I don't have a leather punch but I have a big nail I use for punching book pages, and a hammer. I'm ready.

I also ordered a fleece remnant in charcoal grey from Firecracker Fabrics,  to make  pants for cold weather, thinking ahead here.

And because what is life if you can't be amused by silly stuff , here's the Dance of the Dish Brushes


One day I really must think about growing up. No rush though.

Happy day everyone! Laugh at silly stuff, it's good for you.



17 comments:

  1. Those prehistoric leather shoes are very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat shoes. Looking for old leather handbags for the soles might work. You are very creative. It's fun to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "One day I really must think about growing up. No rush though."
    Perfect.
    Yesterday when I was talking to Jessie about this new-found blooming interest I seem to have with dolls, I said, "Well, I am truly an old woman now."
    In her pragmatic, sweet way she said, "I guess as we get older we turn back into little girls."
    And somehow, that choice of word- "girls"- just slayed me. I love the idea of playing again, as a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't ever grow up!! We like you just the way you are.
    Thank you for the how to re propogating snake plants. I'm going to try that just for the fun of it.
    And...re sterilizing jars...we don't bother with the whole 'sterilizing in boiling water' thing and instead simply put them in the oven with the temp set at 230F. Start them in a cold oven and leave them there until ready to fill...at least ten minutes. Don't remember where I learned that but I do know it was a reputable source so we've done that ever since. Our water here leaves a white-ish film all over everything when it's boiled so we almost feel as though we have to re-wash the jars before filling to remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some soft leather moccasins I bought long ago, not the loafer style, the ones that come up over your ankle. Love them. Finally wore a hole through the sole of one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’re crafting and cooking and mending of plants is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the dish brushes! I must confess I never considered making my own shoes. Prehistoric people probably didn't get a whole lot of wear out of those, even on just grass and earth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, don't grow up, you are perfect as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two wedding anniversaries today among our blogistas. Happy Annies, Sandra and Ellen, and I think one spouse is Mark, one is Marc, so we can tell them apart.

    Steve, about shoes, I wonder if wearing the them was seasonal? There are still cultures where shoes and boots are for winter mainly. That might lengthen the shoe life. There's evidence, too, of repairs and insoles added

    ReplyDelete
  10. The salmon and fries look delicious. Halibut season just closed here. Love that fish and we have some now. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely day you have imagined through. When you make your slippers from some found/thrifted bit, you will skip through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No don't grow up! It sounds as though you made a great success out of what could have been a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've said before but you are amazingly talented and brilliant at coming up with ideas! Fantastic!
    Don't all plants know up from down?

    ReplyDelete
  14. About plants, I've successfully started cuttings without noting the polar orientation. Also bulbs planted upside down manage with a bit of grumbling. Seeds don't care. So I'm not sure. I do know that you won't even get an effort out of snake plant unless you fall in with the orders.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As kids we used to make shearers moccasins out of hessian sacks. The more well off sherarers had leather moccasins a bit like those, but many just made them out of a couple of layers of hessian sack sewed up with hempstring and a bag needle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Were you a kid in NZ, Australia? And when you leave Greece will you be back there? I was thinking the UK for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just nosy. I'm part cat. You'll understand what that means.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!