Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Early one morning, Sock Ministry, now it's teeth..

Early this morning, window open all night because I can, and here's the late summer view




My little yard, then left toward Gary, right toward Aditha. Mourning doves giving background music.

And yesterday was a day of consultation with the dentist after my tooth collapsed Sunday night, then with the doctor about whether to do the Prolia injection Friday for osteoporosis, because of this new situation. 

After a miserable day of passing time till my late afternoon appointment, I finally got to the dentist, who said a crown is needed. First dental work in years. Usually they clean, xray, empty my wallet, wave goodbye. 

He tells me the Prolia isn't an issue since he's not touching bone. Apparently if they extract a tooth, that's different. So I expect my doctor will get back to me today to let me know.

This is shaping up to be the Summer of Expensive Doctors, this week being the most: 

Monday dentist,  $1100, Thursday eyedoctor, $3000,  final post operative checkup, Friday rheumatologist injection, the only one covered by Medicare.  Gosh, hardly time to knit. Or to figure out how to keep up with the medical bills.

Handsome Son will drive me to main dentist appointment, end of next week, because it's long and I think I'll be tired out, not good for driving home, otherwise I could have got step one done yesterday.

But the good news is that yesterday I drove to the dentist, two towns over, traffic, complex intersections, and home just fine. I was exhausted from the general doings and slept as soon as I got home.

And the car did one of those loud clanging alerts and flashing screens on exactly the same stretch of road for the third time, nearly sending me off the road in surprise, all to say low tire pressure. Not a blowout as you might think from the hysteria. But I wonder why the same stretch of road, yet again. Seems woo-woo.

The other good thing is that the injection and possible aftereffects will be a week in rhe rearview mirror by the time of the first crown appointment.

Also the thriftie is in that neighborhood, so after the second crown appointment, maybe I'll stop in  and check the leather bags for that slipper-making I was talking about.  Just a carrot for the falling-apart donkey here.

Meanwhile on that most miserable day, the mailman brought two parcels, and a surge in good spirits, contents for the Sock Ministry, courtesy of Joanne


The two wooden tools are an old darning egg and and a future nostepinne, for winding center-pull balls of yarn.

Wonderful plans here. And the donor agreed I could legitimately divert some yarn to a sock or two for the knitter, having made a lot of pairs to donate. I've been very careful to use the Ministry-donated yarn only for the people it's intended for, despite some temptation.

The other good news yesterday was a shout-out from the Knitting Ministry sisters' newsletter, very nice to keep the knitter's spirits up

All in all, on balance a good day after all.

And I watched the end of The Crown, definitely best season yet. It was so much better acted, directed, everything than Season Three.  I think the actors were a level up, just very moving. I even began to feel for Charles, amazingly. They're a pretty grubby bunch, all said and done. Great drama though.

And here's a piglet taking her bath at the Squirrelwood Sanctuary. 


This was a while back. Now all grown up, she could nicely wear the tub as a hat.

Happy day everyone.  Keep well, make sure, if you're in the US, that you're registered to vote. Good vibes to Ukraine on their upcoming counteroffensive. 


 




13 comments:

  1. "clean, xray, empty my wallet, wave goodbye" -- hahahahahaha, entirely accurate description of dentists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of this is making me anxious just reading it. It's a lot!
    And of course you will get through it all. Still, I wish you didn't have to.
    Joanne's yarn gift is beautiful. As is Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be a while yet before I'm interested in opening the windows at night. Though days have been cooler but not cool by any means. And what a great pile of yarn from Joanne. I hope that $1100 to the dentist was for the upcoming work and not the exam! I've gotten 7 or 8 new crowns in the last couple of years. Busted my teeth up as a teen and old dental work failing. Because there was so much to be done and no insurance to cover it, he did give me a break on the cost of each.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me check to see when Season 5 of The Crown is coming out. (November 2022, apparently, at least here in the UK.) Medical appointments are a drag, no two ways about it. After all that, a stop at the "thriftie" will be well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is one thing I have enjoyed about living in Greece. I have an ex-pat English dentist at Greek prices - a shattered molar crowned for €300, annual check up and polish €45. Can't argue with those prices. Same dentist in UK would have charged £700 and £170 respectively for those visits. Mr B is getting an implant done here to replace a front tooth on a bridge for about 50% of UK price. It's all the same hardware so someone is simply lining their pockets on these procedures! Good shout out on the socks. Good luck with the crown and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep putting off a call to the dentist. Maybe next week, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. T, I have Indian friends who get all their medical needs met when they're in India in the summer. Very good doctors and state of the art equipment, in Mumbai, and incredibly cheap by comparison with US care.

    People even travel abroad to get expensive things like joint replacement done.

    I've had so little need over the years that my complaints are those of someone who doesn't think this should apply to her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dental work is expensive here too, even with insurance! Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers all goes well
    Wow, the medical costs are so outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy all that sock yarn is in your capable hands, instead of shouting "shirker" from my cupboard drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some of it is on my capable needles now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been warned that my teeth will be falling apart momentarily and every so often a filling falls out. Our previous dentist told me I needed three crowns done and, at that point, well over a thousand dollars for each one. Because of other issues we changed dentists and when I asked the new one what he had to say about me needing crowns he promptly laughed and said whatever gave you that idea - you don't need them. I hesitate to say that first dentist is a shyster but we've heard since of the same thing happening to other people. Guess he has to have some way of paying his staff. At any rate, so sorry you have to go through that on top of everything else you've been dealing with. At least you have some nice new yarn to hug!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The reason I have this dentist and have for many years is that another dentist claimed, very aggressively, that I needed several thousand dollars worth of work, and started screaming at me when I said I'd get a second opinion.

    I went to the dentist I've now been with for ages, who said you need none of that! His hygienist told me privately that dentist One was rapidly losing patients, because of these kind of claims.

    In thirty years Dentist Two has done two fillings and three crowns. None of his work has ever failed or broken. In fact the tooth that broke had a filling that even predated him. So overall, amortized over time, not too bad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!