Saturday, August 27, 2022

Finger loop braiding, more soup shared

I should have known I'd get involved with yet another fiberart skill. This one's finger loop braiding, great way to create lacing and bands for various uses. You pass long loops back and forward, cat's cradle style, to create strips.

I found it on Sally Pointer, but she was doing a braid of multiple loops, bowes as they called them in medieval times, way above my pay grade. So I searched for a beginner one, five loops, and found good old Morgan Donner had made a video.

This one has a tutorial from a medieval manuscript. And you see a team of friends making a fairly advanced version.





 But before I start making loops and attaching my loops to a doorknob for tension while I learn how to braid, I thought I would get that upcycled denim vest done.

Still attaching the lining, here to an armhole





The combo of soft old denim and silk is great to stitch, making stitches vanish into the weave. It's working nicely. One more armhole, and the hem, and it will finally be done. Also I need to clear the decks for sock yarn incoming from Joanne, on its way.

Meanwhile the Misfits  butternut squash is now soup. Along with a homemade stock, carrots and red lentils, chickpeas added at the end. I now have choices of soups in the freezer, for when I just can't be bothered to cook.



Sprig of flowering thyme, half a wholewheat pita.

Butternut Boy, even as I was ladling this out, was already on the deck making short work of the seeds and rinds.


Dragging them about and leaving a mess for me to clear up.  What else are humans for, anyway?

Happy day everyone, knit on, braid on, cook on, read on, stay cool if that applies, here it does.






17 comments:

  1. Lovely all from vest to soup.
    I'm feeling under the weather today and I think I will spend the day making doll clothing and perhaps knitting, sitting tight, gathering my health back around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debra. Mary that sounds like a plan for getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I will never do what you do I find your curiosity inspiring. The vest looks great and I'm glad I got to see you. I need to make soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup looks amazing! I think I've seen illustrations (or movies?) where people braid fibers tied to a doorknob. That sounds very familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes,Steve, you do tie the other ends to something stable. Sometimes c clamps on a table edge work, sometimes a door knob. Some people even attach the threads to their big toe -- need a strong toe, I guess. This approach is also used for cardweaving and backstrap weaving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandra, this is the new bare faced me -- no glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your vest and the soup sounds good.

    I can't remember if I've seen season 4 of The Crown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven’t frozen soup in a while. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz, season four introduces Thatcher and Diana to royal circles, oh dear..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Squash soup! It looks delicious. Chickpeas, I like that. My squash soup needs a lift.
    Finger loop braiding reminds me of the wood thread spool braiding. Is it like that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, that's a form where you lift loops over to form a tubular piece. Here the loops are anchored and the braid is flat. Like braiding hair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you.
    I understand now. Flat braiding has embellishment possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are an amazing woman, so talented, interested in so many things. I always enjoy reading your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm happy to see the vest again. It is so handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bare faced you looks very wonderful! And a good stash of soup in the freezer is my idea of heaven.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  16. The soup pot is going to be fired up here before long because I've seen Resident Chef rearranging the freezer in preparation for topping it up for winter. Butternut squash is on the list to pick up at the farmers market next month.
    I, too, am happy to see the vest again - AND the model as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!