Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Textiles and Tea, Donna Leon, tomato harvest

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea was a celebration of Nigerian cotton textiles and indigo. It's used for dyeing and medicine in Nigeria where it grows in abundance.









Here's several different dyeing techniques. Adire, a tapioca method, dyes one side only .

There are traditional motifs, such as the gecko, significant to daily experience, and the spiral and other shapes.


Here he's using a sponge to apply motifs to the design



The guest now lives in the US but travels a lot teaching dyeing techniques and a respect for indigo, the magic dye. He loves the community of textile dyers and workers and the mutual respect of dyer and material.

He's a joyful man and a happy artist!

From simple magic to high tech magic


And in the garden this morning, see that lone ripe tomato? 

Yesterday it was a ripening cluster. I see I have to keep ahead of the squirrels here.

Meanwhile I'm reading a Donna Leon


She does great titles. This is not the latest, for which I'm in line.

Happy day everyone, a couple of good election results in, Dems won a special House election in NY,  straw in the wind maybe for the midterms. 



16 comments:

  1. I read one Donna Leon a very long time ago. Maybe it's time for another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rascally squirrels…or was that rabbits?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the dyed pieces, I like the hands the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary why am I not surprised?
    Marie, yes we have rabbits competing too. It would account for the neatness of the theft, too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I also like the hands best. Wascally Wabbits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen a few positive posts about elections and runoffs and whatever other strange things you get up to down there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. African textiles are the BEST! (In my humble opinion. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grrrr squirrels. I, the Tigger, share your frustrations. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful hands indeed - and what designs! Mr. Adeyemo looks like he really enjoys sharing his knowledge, and his students look pretty darned thrilled to receive it. But...that white thing in his hand that looks to me like paraffin - is a sponge?

    That code photo is AMAZING.

    Thanks for introducing me to Donna Leon a while back. I enjoyed the first one, am looking forward to working my way through all of them.

    Sympathies on that much-reduced truss of tomatoes. :-(

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny you used the word truss there. Since that person has been in the running for British prime minister, when I type my name, predictive text insists I have to write Truss instead of my own name.

    Yes, the host thought that was a wax cylinder, but he assured her it's a sponge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indigo is so beautiful. Still trying to imagine how one could dye only one side of fabric. And I am a Donna Leon fan, too. I always get so wrapped up in what he's eating, and the customs of Venetian life that for me the mystery is secondary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only done a tiny bit of work with indigo. Sadly, I'm allergic to dyestuffs (and never wore a mask), and spent more time recovering from allergic reactions than I did to actual dyeing. Indigo was my favorite, however.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marty, I believe it's surface printing. That affects only one side of the fabric.

    Joanne I've never used indigo at all. It does look lovely. I usually dye with natural substances I gather that I'm not sensitive to, been very wary of commercial dyes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonder how long it takes for the indigo to wear off those hands (if it ever does). I've thought about experimenting with it but never have gotten so far as to actually doing it.
    Rather astounding to see the pile of code. Just to have the sort of mind that can do such things is equally astounding.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!