Monday, June 21, 2021

Solstice Greetings

Happy Summer Solstice to northern hemisphere blogistas, and Happy Winter Solstice to blogistas reading in Oz and NZ. and any other southern hemisphere readers I don't know of.

Longest day here, and wildflowers everywhere. They're tiny so you need to keep looking.

Here's vetch, finished flowering and now making tiny seedpods. I expect they're related to edible peas, same vining tendrils and small flowers succeeded by pods.

I forget the name of this creeper, which showed up a few years ago and has brightened the ground cover with a lovely green. I like that it climbs right over the top of the ground cover. Right now it's in yellow bloom for a few days. 

Sorrel everywhere, edible where they haven't sprayed it, a dark sour flavor great in salads. I've never had enough to make soup but I believe you can.

The summer Austenfest continues, with the BBC Emma. 

Low budget costumes, wonderful sets, great acting, except I think Harriet Smith and Emma should have exchanged roles. Mainly because though Romola Garai is a powerful actress, she's not up to the subtleties of Emma, and I think Louise Dylan, who plays Harriet, would be a very good Emma.  

Mr Woodhouse brilliantly played by Michael Gambon, Miss Bates likewise by Tamsin Greig.  You can tell who understands Austen and who's following a script.

I'm only partway through, since this is a four episode TV series. With subtitles, I'm happy to say.  And I may adjust my attitude as I see the last two episodes.

Then I will return the DVDs to the library where I found recently someone's put a box for collecting donated eyeglasses.

I'll add these prescription sunglasses to the collection. I used to donate old glasses through my eye doctor but the person who was doing it had to stop temporarily for Covid reasons. 

Meanwhile these will be useful. My eye doctor told me years ago he'd done voluntary work in Haiti, fitting people with the nearest to their required correction, free of charge.

I was doubtful, after Handsome Partner died, whether his glasses would be useful. He had no vision in one eye, so clear glass, and a massive correction in the other. Astonishing that he did great scientific research at a lab bench with such limited sight.  But I wondered could his specs be useful for anyone else.

Eye doctor, who knew him, explained to me that the glasses would be prized. With that correction even in one eye, it could make the difference between employed active and helpless. He was happy to take all of them.

Speaking of happy to receive, my next door neighbor is delighted with his little jar of plum jam, and as soon as I handed it over, ran for the muffin to toast for it.

Happy day all around.

8 comments:

  1. Donating eyeglasses for third world use is a wonderful thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's pretty much something a person does if they can. Easy for me, valuable to the receiver.

      Delete
  2. I've donated whenever possible it benefits and is easy to do via a doctor or Lions Clubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of the collecting has happened since March of last year though, at least not here. It's just now opening up again. I'm guessing it's a Lion's club member who put the box at the library. It's a good thing to know about.

      Delete
  3. I agree it is wonderful to donate glasses. I no longer have the same place available to donate either. I should ask my eye doctor about a new one. I love to help others with their vision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not realize that sorrel is a type of oxalis. We have a different variety here which my kids and grands all call "sour flower" and pick it and eat it with gusto when it appears. Ours has a pretty pink/lavender blossom which is the part the kids like to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And a good Solace back to you. Hope your long day went well. It amuses me that it is also the first day of summer. hahahahahahaha! We're past early summer and in the middle of high summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We normally can donate glasses here too, but when I asked at my last appointment they said they weren't taking them on account of covid. Not quite sure what that would have to do with anything but oh well. They went back in the drawer until such time as they start taking them again (and when I remember they're there!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!