Monday, June 7, 2021

Art and food, what a change

The statice you may remember from several weeks ago as the monthly fresh flowers has now graduated from water to a dry container and will become dried flowers. Along with honesty, it's a favorite for drying. 

And it's taken up its place on the mantelpiece, artfully dropping one flower, watercolor painting style.

And new ideas happened despite my having thought I had nothing to blog about today.

I woke up thinking about how that flour tortilla recipe is like the Swiss army knife of my food world.  We'll draw a veil over the benighted federal judge in California whose idea of a SAK leaves something to be desired. If the reference escapes you, count yourself blessed.

Anyway, this dough. I like it very much for pasties because it's crisp but strong enough to enclose a bunch of unruly ingredients. And it occurred to me with a rush, that those are the features you want in crackers. 

So since I had two clumps of dough left i made one into the planned pasty. Filling was broccolini, hot sausage, yellow potato, mixed mushrooms, scallions. And the other clump made a little batch of crackers.

Both in at 400°f, the crackers for 12 minutes, which I guessed, and the pasty 20 minutes, guessed way back, when I first tried them.

And, remember the chai  spice mix leftovers which I accidentally dried? I rolled some of them into the cracker dough, with seasalt, scored it with a pizza wheel, and it worked ok.


How it looks cooling


Then how nicely it broke along the fault lines I'd scored in it. Really pleasing.


Here's the pasty with a sprig of that peppermint I swiped, I mean imported, from my old planting at the condo. Chewed alternately with pasty, really worth trying. You can make a great mint sauce with malt vinegar, and a pinch of sugar, but you don't have to.

So when Handsome Son visits later today, bringing cheese, among other groceries, he'll get not only the purpose baked cornbread, but cheese and crackers to boot. 

And he'll take away my empty Misfits box for his decluttering, and help me hang the canvas summer door curtain and fold up the red felt winter one. All vital tasks.

Meanwhile I'm busy reading Austen Years before it expires. I can't renew because it's got a waitlist. 



10 comments:

  1. Statice are are a beautiful accent dried flower. I find leftover bits of them in with threads and notions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's ALWAYS something to blog about! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have risen creativity to an art form! I love it.
    I bet those crackers are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waitlists are brutal reality checks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and how did the crackers taste? I've thought about making my own crackers but that's as far as it ever gets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're as good as the seasonings you put on them. The spices made these interesting enough that Handsome Son finished them off with a few chunks of cheddar. I had eaten just a few with my soup, and will make them again. I used good flour, that makes a difference.

      Delete
  6. "Make crackers" is now on my must-learn-to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like them. So much better than store bought. But they do vanish fast.

      Delete
  7. You don’t waste anything. You can teach us all a few things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those crackers would be a perfect accompaniment to Resident Chef's kefir cheese. Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!