Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Winnowing wins

Today being so boring, way too hazardous to be out in temps that felt like well over 100° f, and just not in the mood for ANYTHING,  I ended up listening to an old Christie audiobook and  sorting a few drawers near where I was sitting. 

This became interesting as I happily chucked papers and miscellany into the recycle and the thriftie pile. 

It also unearthed some bits of crochet that might go well in something or other with the mini Tunisian squares. These were from my granny square period. Using up  superfluous embroidery thread. 

Suggestions would be warmly entertained.

And even more exciting, I unearthed two Cross pen and propelling pencil sets. One engraved with my name, leaving gift from a long ago job, the other was Handsome Partner's work award for something. 

In the box to the right, the supply of graphite sticks that are stored in the barrel of the pencil, while I explore the pencil to see if I can get it to work. See the parts there? There's a built-in pink eraser, even. It plugs the container for the leads, and disappears when the pencil's assembled.

Both needed a little something, one pen needed a refill which I also found and installed, this is amazing.  One pencil needs repair, I think,  because, though it's loaded with the little graphite sticks, I can't get the lead to advance. I have a very nice pen and pencil set, one from each original set.

I've sent away for a refill for the other pen, and I find it's worth sending the nonfunctional pencil to the makers for repair. So it's parceled up ready to go in the mail when weather permits.

I looked them up and found people get all excited about this age of set. It's considered desirable! Vintage! Not sure how thrilled I am that my leaving present from midway in my work life is now vintage, but oh well. 

They're both from the late 70s, early 80s, 10k gold filled, made in the USA.  And they'll save me from shopping for pens and pencils for the foreseeable future. This is good.

I'll offer handsome Partner's set to Handsome Son first, once it's functional, because he does like what he considers antiques from a quaint era, namely his parents' youth.

I went to YouTube to learn more and found there's an entire community of vintage pen enthusiasts, with a Cross pen subsection. 

Such reverence, and technical know how,  it's like stumbling over a group of old watchmakers at their benches lovingly restoring old timepieces, same devotion.




It's taken seriously, and the comments on the videos are so technical I'm not sure what they're saying. This is multiracial and age mixed, however, it definitely seems to be a man's clubby thing, full of arcane jargon and in jokes. 

You can just see them at home holed up in their little workspaces, task lights on, happy as clams. I bet they've done fine with lockdown. 

Anyway that was a surprising afternoon's learning. I tried a few ideas to fix the pencil before concluding that it needed an Expert With Tiny Tools And Knowledge. It was fun trying before I arrived at that decision.

I also watched a great Textiles and Tea presentation, Jessica Pinsky. I'll blog about that tomorrow, needs its own space and mood. 

14 comments:

  1. I remember when Cross pen and pencil sets were the creme de la creme of gifts and awards. How lovely that you came across these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been lying around for ages, hadn't really looked at them. I didn't realize they were so special as a gift though. I'll appreciate them more now! They're very well made.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I remember the days when Cross pens were absolutely DE RIGUEUR status symbols for young professionals! I had a silver one that I didn't actually buy (much too expensive for me at the time) but found sitting on a library shelf, forgotten and abandoned by its owner. It was not engraved and no one came back for it while I was at the library, so I gave it a good home instead. Yes, I know I probably should have turned it in at the library's Lost and Found, but I applied that well-known legal maxim instead -- Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had one? Did you lose it in your turn?

      Delete
    2. I'm not entirely sure what happened to it in the long run. Perhaps the Universe did set it free again -- "easy come, easy go."

      Delete
  3. Granny square suggestions? It seems like I've seen a hat made from them - back in the 60's. They also make nice vests. I love the Cross pens. We've got some around here somewhere and when I find them I'll use them! We have put too many things like that "away" and if we don't use them now, well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with using things, not saving them for best.

      Delete
  4. My husband has pens he’s kept forever. Last week he found the geometry set he had in high school. Much fancier than anything I ever had. Everything was in mint condition too. But that’s him anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son inherited the slide rule, in original box, his dad used in high school and hung onto forever!

      Delete
  5. Today the replacement refills for the other pen arrived, and fit. Several days ahead of schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. propelling pencil! I have never hear heard them called that. I always called them automatic pencils (because the lead automatically extrudes when you click/push the end of the pencil) and that's all I have ever used in my art work since I was in college taking a drawing class. I have some that came with erasers and the oldest ones came with a little metal probe the width of one of the leads to help unclog the 'nipple' (where the leads exit) when the new lead won't advance. Pentel .5mm is the brand and size I use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting info thank you. The Cross kind you advance the lead by turning the barrel. So you decide how much lead will appear. It's designed for writing rather than drawing.

      I wouldn't use it for drawing though. I used to sharpen my pencils with an xacto blade to get the shape I wanted to work with, usually a chisel edge. Like a small version of a carpenter's pencil, another favorite of mine.
      But the black fine point Pilot is a fave drawing pen for contour drawing.
      Talking about drawing is making me want to do it!

      Delete
  7. Pockets? Granny squares lined to make pockets??
    Interesting to read about the Cross pen/pencils. Alas no such thing in my collection. I've been toying with buying a fountain pen but then I stop myself when I remember the distinct possibility (inevitability, really) of spillage. Best to stick with the thought of it methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pockets. Now there's a thought. Thank you.
      Always good to consider the downside when it comes to tools involving ink, yes.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!