Sunday, June 20, 2021

Sunday morning, thankful.

The Austen film festival is still in progress. Last night Mansfield Park, appropriate for the first Juneteenth national holiday. For people who haven't read it, it touches on the issue of slavery and how Mansfield Park itself is financed by the proceeds from a slave plantation in Antigua, and the moral dilemma arising from it.


This version gets graphic on the subject, far beyond the subtleties of Austen, but it's worth seeing. One of those movies where you keep recognizing actors and wondering where you saw them before.


The potatoes are flourishing


And the Japanese maple, sunlight shining through. It's doubled its height this year. I guess it's happy.

And a recent HOA meeting revealed that the fence project is nowhere, Board still receiving material from the contractor which they haven't read, more contractor demands. 

I suspect the contractor wants out and is making it so difficult that the HOA will dump them, no liability on them. 

Anyway we're now all continuing as if the project were not happening.  I've moved the ficus again, onto earth, hitched to the fence. She may as well have the chance to put down roots if the new fence isn't happening right now. No reason she shouldn't have a good season.


And here's the latest cause for joy. Next to the latest butternut walnut bread is -- a strong cup of Vietnamese coffee. Made by boiling milk with the coffee briefly, then straining it, and it's really strong but not bitter.

It's the first time in years I've been able to enjoy coffee, the real thing, snarling with caffeine and flavor, without hideous pain in a few minutes. Not just a bit of heartburn. More the kind of pain where you have to hold onto something till it passes. Every mouthful of anything but yogurt, instant reaction.

The reason was severe side effects from a medication designed to protect my aging bones. Severe enough for scary emergency testing procedures to determine  if something really serious was going on. Nope. Just this medication attacking my entire digestive tract. I dumped the medication instantly on my doctor's finding. Iatrogenic illness, I was a living example.

Took years to recover from, and I had to quit all sorts of things. Including my little evening glass of wine, coffee, cocoa, sigh.

I was always a coffee drinker in preference to tea, and heaved a  moan or two when I had to switch to tea in the morning. I learned to like it eventually, but there's nothing as good as a coffee jolt. 

Excuse the medical info, but it explains why this simple afternoon snack is such an excitement. Wheeee, I'm back! Maybe I can even have a little glass of prosecco..

Doesn't take much to thrill some of us!
Happy Sunday!


17 comments:

  1. I had no idea you'd had such a reaction to a medication! That's horrible. I'm so glad that you may be able to enjoy some of life's pleasures that have been denied you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit rugged, yes, but all's well now!

      Delete
  2. It's wonderful that you can drink the Vietnamese coffee -- ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a small thing, but such a difference to how I feel about my health. You get it.

      Delete
  3. Simple pleasures are the best in my opinion. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a drug for osteoporosis? I refuse to take them because of the heinous side effects and they don't really make your bones stronger, just denser with old weak bone material.

    the butternut walnut bread sounds good. I'll have to see if you posted about making it since I've missed a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a previous one a few days ago, so you could see that.

      Delete
  5. I don't like drugs either. I know I have bone density issues, I used to take medicine, but again, the side effects. After reading Ellen's comment above, I will study the drugs better. My new doctor has ordered tests that I know I will not pass, but I will not take the drugs either, so I need to prepare a good reason. I was happily surprised at Mansfield Park and how they addressed slavery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very averse to drugs unless there's a compelling reason. Because I have a bit of bone loss despite 20years of resistance exercises, and am in a high risk category for hip fracture, I agreed to a trial. Micro dose once weekly. When the side effects suddenly flared up, after a few months, I stopped.

      I keep up with lifting weights and balance exercises, since avoiding falling is a good preventive to fracture. I refused other alternatives, too. I decided the side effects were worse than the risk factor!

      I do tell women who say they're considering the osteoporosis preventive meds to proceed with great caution. I suspect we're being used as a giant test sample for this stuff. But I did want to at least give it a hearing.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the information on the side effects of that medication. My doctor has mentioned it and I am trying to avoid it. I already have problems due to a hiatal hernia and I don't need to make it any worse! I'm glad you found a coffee you can drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks as if my little bit of gratitude has been a psa! Good. I'd just as soon not have gone through what I did, and the lengthy recovery time from taking it.

      Delete
  7. Raising my cup in your direction with a big smile...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for Vietnamese coffee back in your menu. It's amazing how much simple pleasures mean - especially if they mean that one's digestive system is healing up.

    Ellen Abbott, you say this so well: "they don't really make your bones stronger, just denser with old weak bone material." So - not in my future either. Weight-bearing exercises, balance exercises, and calcium-rich diet is my plan. And laughter - always a good medicine! And while we're on the subject of medicine, I just read a fascinating non-fiction book titled "Cure: a journey into the science of Mind over Body" by Jo Marchant. Trained in western medicine, she takes a close look at alternative medicine and elucidates why some may work, but not for the reasons their practitioners give. We found it fascinating, very well-written.

    I will have to look up Mansfield Park.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've refused osteoporosis meds, to the chagrin of more than on doctor. You are my first knows adverse reaction. Awful. I cannot imagine life w/o coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The side effect warnings downplay the severity of them. Written by men no doubt,who will never have to experience them!

      Delete
  10. I've never heard of that sort of reaction to osteo medication so if the time ever comes when it might be waved in front of me I will know to head the other direction. I'm lactose intolerant and don't get much in the way of natural calcium (not to say I don't eat ice cream and cheese when the opportunity presents itself...side effects be darned) so odds are I might be a candidate for osteo at some point. I take calcium supplements and have done since I was a teenager so hopefully it's helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oesophageal irritation is listed as a side effect. Irritation. Like describing a burning building as a heating issue. But having an iron digestion I thought I'd do okay. Noooo.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!