Sunday, June 6, 2021

Sunday morning, hot

Our temperature is now officially in the too hot for me range. High 90s is what it feels like. Just right for Handsome Son and his regular shore runs. He's picked up his season pass to his favorite shore location. Me, it's a season pass on a cool sofa except for early morning walks.

Between the early heat and torrential rain everything's growing beserkers. I used to have a wonderful English teacher who still spoke in the accent of an earlier age, clergy pronounced clargy, berserk pronounced bersark. So she comes to mind when I encounter those words.

And the ginger plant you had to squint to see a few days ago is now leaping up


The review of the canteloupe ginger jam, speaking of ginger, which is really a sauce, follows.


Here's the first trial. Even though the recipe said jam they also said great on meats, ice -cream and in general more of a sauce than a spreadable jam. 

I'd agree. The taste is way more than a sweet jammy thing. The salt as well as the ginger make a terrific combo, much more interesting than jam. I used it in breakfast oatmeal and, well, I may need a second bowl.

I really recommend you try this. One regular sized canteloupe makes four cups of dice. I added a couple of tablespoons of diced ginger. Not much sugar, just one cup. It is pretty sophisticated. 

It needs a bland partner such as plain bread or meat or, as here, oatmeal. I tried it on cornbread and there was too much going on. They were in competition. 

Speaking of the best, June is Pride Month, and happy month to our blogistas who celebrate. And to us who are proud to call them our friends and neighbors. I wonder when we'll rewrite Paul to include "neither gay nor straight" in his list of how we're all one in  love, nothing separating us. I think he got it, so long ago.  As well as all the  expressions of gender. And if you don't know why June is the month, look up the history of the movement and learn about the courage and suffering that have paved the way to this day.

Couple of important birthdays coming up: sister Dogonart on the 11th, well into her tenth decade and following this blog still.

Later will be Handsome Partner, who left us ten years ago but is still very much with us. We'll do a strawberry shortcake, his favorite birthday thing, in his honor.

Leaving now to continue fiddling away at Mitered Squares while the sun shines.


But not before I come back to remember that not only did I vote early in our primary, I got an acknowledgement from the County Clerk. Or Clark





8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't think that cantaloupe jam would be that great but as I sauce with ginger? yeah, that's probably pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the canteloupe is too delicate a flavor by itself

      Delete
  2. Pride month is so much more than flying a rainbow flag. Thank you for acknowledging that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Rainbow chic is not it for me. And definitely not rainbow merch!

      Delete
  3. Voting? Again???!!! I have never understood the mysteries of US politics (have enough trouble with our own) but it seems like you're forever voting for something or other.
    The saucy jam looks quite tasty with oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the state elections. I voted in the Democratic primary. Our governor is up this year, among other offices. The last election was the Federal presidential one. Different hanimal. Something's up for voting every year.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!