Sunday, June 27, 2021

Persuasion and the unpersuaded

Also Happy 89th Birthday to Handsome Partner. Still in mind, ten years after you peacefully left us.

Last night was Persuasion time. I had planned on watching one of the library DVDs, but on the way got sidetracked.

Watched part of a 70s BBC miniseries 





As you see, sets full of more or less accurate furniture, very well organized and nice to see. Costumes lovingly made to fit by someone who knew how and had the fabrics and budget for the job. 

A far cry from the low budget costumes of the more recent productions such as the Romola Garai Emma, poorly made, ill fitting, just a sad show, pulling down great acting.

Moving along, the hairstyles here were created by someone who seems to think Austen was writing about the later 19th  century rather than the early 1800s of the Regency period. I guess they had a good time getting carried away, so there's that. The simpler Regency styles wouldn't have been as much fun. 

Alas, the production itself was pretty much local repertory theatre, sloooow,  inexpert, actors suddenly starting to act on command at each scene change, not being already in persona. Actors clearly feeling they were in costume rather than the good actor who's just wearing clothes. It was worth checking out, though, just to see what Austen inspired in different producers and actors. 

And I did love the settings. And the horses. Wonderful carriages. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it.

Then I stumbled onto a truly inspired production, a Saturday night theatre BBC radio version, just cracking along, very intelligently acted, just as full of life as I think it oughta be. 

Saturday Night theatre was a regular BBC offering before TV was really a thing, and some great actors and playwrights can be spotted there, some before they got famous.

When I started this summer Austenfest, I though there might be enough productions for a few nights' viewing fun. Now I realize that it was a bit naive, like going to the library and thinking maybe there will be a couple of books in here.  Spoiled for choice, moi.

Summer got here. Woke at 2.30 am, to switch on a fan. Checked the weather. 90% humidity, temp high 70s. That's as cool as it got, after daytime heat index in the 90s f.. No wonder I get tired in this weather. Just breathing takes work. But all's well. I have air conditioning. 

15 comments:

  1. So glad I moved away from that humidity of Princeton, N.J. Then, after I'm done reading blogs, I will go to my now organzied DVD drawer and see which version of Persuasion I have. I wouldn't know too much about hair and dress, but I do know the Regency style, propbably from watching so many Austin films with correctly dressed actors. Not a clue about hair. So great that you notice these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know what version you have. My favorite Captain Wentworth is Ciaran Hinds, wonderful voice, great face, great name, too.

      Delete
  2. You can just about date a production as to what their idea of period hairstyles looked like.
    I'm glad you have AC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely part of the fun. How anachronistic will they get?

      Delete
  3. With all the films/series that are available, it's a good thing you're an Austen fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's little danger I'll run out before the end of summer.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for visiting Buttercupland. Persuasion is my favorite work by Jane Austen. When I was in Bath in 2018 I visited the Jane Austen Center and got to meet a Captain Wentworth "impersonator." I was, needless to say, thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your AC holds out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my laundry done just in case of power loss later.

      Delete
  6. sounds like our normal weather. my bedroom is the farthest from the AC unit in the attic and so the coolish air that finally makes it out of the vent requires the ceiling fan on high all night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that Texas has sky high humidity as well as heat. Torrid.

      Delete
  7. Any Austen series would be okay by me, warts and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, they're all enjoyable. Critiquing them is part of the fun!

      Delete
  8. Reading this reminded me of my childhood (in reference to the 'before TV' time period). As I child I rushed to the radio every day at 1 o'clock to hear the children's story read by a man with a VERY wonderful voice. It was my 'tv' of the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!