Sunday, June 27, 2021

Abbrs. + Othr pzls

Today being very hot, too hot to go out, it was hot enough to brew sun tea. Which I did. Loose tea in the container, out in the sun, infusing and infusing. 

It's the subpar tea that I got the refund on, maybe this will be a good use. Worth a try. I strained it into a carafe. With the handmade Mickey stirrer, present from a glassblower friend.

Here it is, just cool enough to handle. The lemon slices are from the freezer so they're acting as ice cubes as well as flavoring. It's in the fridge now. I'll check it when it's cold.

Lunch was several small pasties, leek, potato, Thai basil, parmesan. Little sprig of the basil, for garnish, now that it's growing fast enough to pick 

Same sprig flavored the leek and potato soup later for supper. Yes, heavy emphasis on leeks since I accidentally bought enough to supply a small commune.

And today, speaking of ordering leeks, was Misfits box building day, where I order up and find I've gone way over the minimum, no fears I won't qualify. Posh name greeting from them, only because I have to use the name on my credit card. The order will arrive Friday.

Also it will soon be fireworks for the Fourth, and handsome Son and I go every year to a great spot he found where we can bring our chairs and see the show without needing to be in the crowds. 

It's a little grassy area a street away with a sky view and the company of a few other clever people who don't like crowds much either. Parking is right there, no crowds to navigate when we leave.

So I asked him to check when the show will be. Usually not on the fourth, that's a prime expensive booking time for the fireworks people, townships tend to fit around it, so you have to check each year which night they got.

Now, he has the same frugal gene as his mother's side of the family, and it shows up in his texting.  Not a wasted syllable when you pay as you go.

This just arrived and after a few tries, I broke the code.  I think it means he's on it.

Not that this took a lot of the day. That was mainly spent doing laundry just in case there's a power outage, listening to a Christie,  Murder is Easy, while I Tunisian crocheted tiny mitered squares, just because I like doing them, no other aim. And catching a bit of Sarah Millican on YouTube. And waking with a jolt to realize I'd been sleeping.

Very leisurely day, really. Maybe a bit of Persuasion this evening. 

Summertime..or smrtm, as the case may be.



15 comments:

  1. Breaking news: fireworks will happen Labor day instead of the Fourth. Sounds like fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I broke the code except "ew" -- ???? Alas, I am no Alan Turing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have to check or chk a map for that, the initials of the town in question or qu.

      Delete
  3. Your tea looks very refreshing. I haven't made sun tea in a long time and I used to love it. Thank you for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never felt comfortable abbreviating my words. What is "frwx"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got everything but the ew though you explained it above. the only abbreviation I use is thx and only recently. I also don't use emojis except for the red heart. I feel like our language and writing skills are devolving back to hieroglyphics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write in full in here and to friends who aren't familiar with current abbreviations, in shorter form in Twitter, and totally abbrev in texts to people who understand the form. You need to code switch rapidly according to audience

      Delete
  6. Phonetics in letters, fun times. I missed the ew as well. Maybe the letters for the location or who is putting on the fireworks. Using letters is fun, but can be scary when spell check changes to a word that might not be pleasant.
    Hot here as well. 97ºF on the thermometer here yesterday, and that is, I believe, situated on the shady north side of the building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, upstream I explained ew was the initials of the town doing the show. Spell check is annoying when it makes a change after you click, though.

      Delete
  7. As long as we're breaking codes, where is your fen located?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like fireworks - on the tv. Don't need to be closer than that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the current trend to shortening everything - mostly it just drives me crazy. I hate coming across a term and then having to sit and puzzle about the possible meaning. Maybe I'm just plain lazy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!