Friday, September 2, 2022

Not just hindsight, Crevettes Boudiennes

Yesterday, you'll be glad to hear, was my final checkup at the eye doctor, so you won't be hearing more of the whining about cataract surgery.

And I heard that 20/20 doesn't apply only to hindsight. He tested my eye pressure, poifect,  then my vision. 20/20 distance, and 25/20 reading. We were both happy.  He agrees I don't need any kind of glasses, asked if I'd tried driving, how was it, and declared I'd got the best of all possible worlds and to go forth and enjoy it. So I will.

Handsome Son visited after we'd got home, eating pita and cheese, and generally as happy as I am about not having to go to that doctor's office again.

Since our days are blessedly cooling, I picked some green cherry tomatoes to ripen on the windowsill, though it was nicely hot while I was doing it.

Sun-ripened is better, but the prowling squirrels and rabbits have been joined by chipmunks, so I'm trying to keep ahead.

And I celebrated with a terrific meal, shrimp with fresh picked tomato from Gary, and scallions, with basmati rice .  Seasoned with Old Bay, salt, black pepper. No idea if this has a name, so henceforth it will known as Crevettes Boudiennes. 



After the shrimp and tomatoes were cooked through and spooned over the rice I reduced the sauce a bit and added it.


I did have a moment of wishing I had someone to eat this with, but that passed in the loud answering thought "I'm worth it!"


It was very good, and there's at least two more meals here 

Today's art is from a painter who worked into her late nineties, an encouraging thought. You'll see echoes of Delaunay in here

So here we are, amazingly, at Labor Day weekend, traditionally celebrated by not working. 

Handsome Son however is working the whole weekend, which he doesn't mind because time and a half kicks in on Sunday and Monday. To people in his income bracket, it's significant.  And since Labor Day celebrates trade unions, it seems appropriate that he gets the time and a half benefit of being a member of one.

Happy day everyone. Up with Jorts! Avoid the union busting Starbucks and Amazon, support whatever local business is still there, buy from artisans and artists, enjoy the weekend. Signed middie of three generations of union workers.





14 comments:

  1. Congrats on the good report and having that all behind you. It’s been cooler here for a few days, but it is going to heat up a little later this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic thing you have to celebrate! I am SO very glad that your surgeries turned out so well. Amazing!
    Speaking of amazing- that shrimp dish. I can taste it from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing. I really didn't expect this good an outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a simple shrimp etouffee to me. And good news about the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love when extra meals are left and ready for another time.

    Yay for great vision!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic news! That shrimp....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're probably right about the shrimp recipe name, Ellen. But I think since I invented this, not knowing of the official recipe, I'll stick with my title!

    Marie, when I cook it's always enough for several meals. It's the amount I know how to make. Now that I'm solo, it's proving handy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are indeed worth it. I am inspired always by your good meals - delicious and healthy and beautiful.

    Fantastic news from the ophthalmologist. Verified what you had already found out. Yay!!!

    Jorts? as in "Up with Jorts'? Did I miss something?

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jorts is the pro union activist cat on Twitter, tying Starbucks into knots, backing the pressure on Calif governor to sign the current legislation protecting farmworkers from exploitive growers. And other good deeds such as signal boosting Amazon's illegal union suppression. Starbucks lawyers tried to get injunctions against the account and backed off red faced at the ridicule they encountered for fighting with a cat. They're now onto CEO number three trying to crush Jorts and the unions. They've just been ordered by a judge to reinstate illegally fired union organizers.

    The Jorts account is a vital information hub, since media covers unions about as well as they cover major presidential speeches when the President is Joe Biden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay no more eye doctor appointments! That is good news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for your eye outcome!
    My dad was a "white collar" guy who supported unions wholeheartedly. "Rising tide floats all boats!"
    I must look up Jorts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That shrimp dish looks lovely. I'm glad your visits to the eye doctor have ended for your sake. How wonderful to have fully working eyes again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for a great eye appointment!! That makes all the drops and worry so worthwhile doesn't it and something worth celebrating. You certainly deserved to celebrate with a special meal and even better that it will carry over into another celebration or two.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!