Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Antiques, butterfly bushes, Textiles and Tea

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea involved a concept new to me, but evidently very long established among weavers, the ondule reed 

This is a reed which sets up a wavy shaped warp instead of the right angle warp/weft grid we usually see. It comes with its own complications and skills needed, and her depictions of ocean in her Maine-inspired hangings fit right in.

She also repurposes discarded fabric, seen lower down, silk reduced to strips and woven in a traditional Appalachian double bowknot design.











The last image features barbed wire she found on her newly acquired country property.  Interesting weaver, seeing weaving as a form of fine art rather than a functional skill.

Nearer home I noticed a couple of nights ago when I was awake and breathing the outdoor air, a beautiful sweet scent, couldn't think what it was. Then I found that the butterfly bush is scented. From the ground I hadn't noticed since the blossoms are about fifteen feet up. But from an upstairs window, just right. 


I tested this yesterday, on these blossoms beaten down by recent rain, and yes, that was the same scent. It's more delicate than lilac or spice bushes, but very pleasant. Nice discovery.

And yesterday, what to eat when you've no idea what to cook, resulted in a large two egg mushroom omelette with basil, parsley and  pita bread.


Definitely keeping up the nutrition. After this morning's Covid booster appointment, no more medical bulletin appointments this month. Maybe I'll get unstressed and just a bit heavier!

Meanwhile the toes chime in


Some people are anxious to get an exact match between the patterned socks, involving the exact place on the yarn to start. Me, I'll just take what happens, life's short!

And someone mentioned antiques yesterday, reminding me of a few years when I dealt in antique porcelain and art pottery. 

I live in an ideal place for buying well -- well bought is half sold -- an ageing population in the east, in a pottery center, NJ being itself a clay source, right back to the Lenni Lenape coil pots from Cape May harbor clay. And centuries of immigration of English potters in search of work, plus family porcelain handed down. 

All these make a buyer's market, at flea markets, house and garage sales. Where I thought something was offered too cheap I often checked, only to be assured they wanted it gone!

So I acquired some very desirable Minton, Shelley, Rookwood, and a lot of cheaper but collectible items which I sold on to clients largely in the West, at very fair prices, making some friends in the process. 

This involved a lot of study and research into authenticity, and auction prices, since world events make big swings in pricing and perceived value. 

I eventually got tired of the collector buying mentality, not my thing, and switched to teaching antique detection at community evening schools and the local college. 

This was much more fun, and the classes were jammed, such happy people. I'd bring in a carload of examples of what we were covering that evening so everyone could handle and learn to identify for themselves. We did glass, silver, furniture, clothing,  whole range of items. 

Participants also brought in their own items for identification, and learned how to find ids on glass, and how to read precious metal hallmarks. 

I had some huge excitement when people let me handle precious museum quality silver and early Worcester porcelain, normally only seen behind glass.

I eventually gave up the field when we sold the house and I couldn't make space in my new apartment for all the antiques.

I sold off in-person a lot from the house at knockdown prices just to get them out before I had to move.  One older couple came in search of stock for an antique business they were embarking on. I promptly said if they would take everything that was left they could have it for a really bargain price.

They couldn't load fast enough, worried I might change my mind, and I helped them, worried they might change their minds! Everyone happy, and I got the house cleared just in time.

This business was one I conducted while I had a full-time job in higher ed admin, one reason I've done a lot being that I often had a business along with a full-time job. Or a part time job along with a full-time other occupation. I think I have a low threshold of boredom and a high need to use energy. 

Happy days. And happy day everyone! 

When in doubt just do everything. Later you can decide, my lifelong  motto. Don't wait to get your ducks in a row, they won't stay put.



13 comments:

  1. Your knowledge of antiques must have been hugely helpful to others just starting out. I can understand why such classes would be full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do seem to have an array of experiences. Energy can be a real gift. Somehow that gift was not bestowed upon me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You surprise me nearly everyday! What a life you have lived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still living it! more adventures to come, I expect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. Still waiting to hear about that go-go dancing in Alaska I know you must have done! Or was it burlesque in Chicago?
    Seriously, lady- you have covered a whole lot of ground in your life in the occupational sense. Your interests have spread far and wide and you have become proficient in so many of them. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was tap dancing in Tennessee, though. Yes I do believe in trying things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I worked on Saturdays at an antique store, my sister worked there four days a week. She did all the researching on the stock. One of the specialities was signed antique costume jewelry. I'd pick something out to wear for the day. One day a guy came in who was working for a period movie being filmed in the area and bought a lot of the jewelry. During the time I worked at the store McCoy pottery was fetching some high prices. Not long after the store closed I guess prices plummeted as I see McCoy here and there pretty cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much to learn, so little time! I'm not particularly interested in antiques for their value (sentimental or monetary), but it would be fascinating to parse out their history. I bet you were a sought-after teacher, with your depth and breadth of knowledge and the way you spark interest. You're a born teacher.

    I enjoyed the fragrance of a purple butterfly bush this morning on my neighborhood stroll with Rowan. It's lovely. Here people prune their buddleias down to the ground in winter dormancy, so the flowers are closer to nose level at this time of the year.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, the real interest in antiques and collectibles is the craftsmanship. I used to talk about the hand tools furniture makers used, the primitive furnaces used to make Russian enamels and the apprenticeship needed to create blown glass (NJ a major glass center from pre colonial times because of the natural sand deposits) and the skills of clothing creation. All that. history is entwined with making and with population moves. I think you'd have liked the detective and research side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The director of the Cleveland Art Institute called me once asking me to put a warp on a loom for a talk. Two students were to bring me the loom. They never showed up. Then she called and invited me to the talk and of course I went.
    She had a simple frame loom and the warp was length after length of buckled together dog collars. She took collar after collar from a basket at her feet and proceeded to weave them over, under the warp, buckling on a new collar when necessary.
    She had been to the animal protective league (the dog pound) for a rescue dog, and offered a free collar from a basket.
    I cannot really carry on, here. She learned they had bushels of collars from euthanized dogs. The subject of her talk finally became clear to her. She took home a generous bushel of collars and explained to a very subdued audience why all new pets should come from the recycle center.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a powerful argument for rescue. Brilliant. Also heart rending.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your ending thoughts, Liz. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Upon retiring from "big business" I took on managing a local antique store. One of the things I did was research whatever the owner wanted to buy to determine it value and possible provenance. It's interesting learning what things are and where they came from.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!