Thursday, September 8, 2022

Change of seasons

The season changed yesterday from summer to fall around here. Meaning The Changing of the Bag.


This involves tipping the contents of the ancient crocheted summer purse into the ancient suede one. That's it. Season changed.

I have other ones but they usually end up as project bags rather than carrying the vital stuff bags. 

And there was a change of accordion book art in the living room, Pantone giving way to a crowd of Japanese woodblock prints






Then Misfits arrived




I've given up on golden raisins in local shops, either unavailable or very expensive for such an ordinary item.

So my "first" this week is dried cranberries. They'll take the place of raisins in baking, and I've now tried them. They're more interesting than raisins and I think this won't be the last. 

And since I'm not sure how much further the sock yarn will take me, I've embarked on the cuffs

a bit early but if I get long cuffs, fine, the recipient won't complain.

Speaking of knitting and learning to knit, I notice how often I've observed people who are experienced in knitting, though not in teaching it, insist that you start learning by learning to cast on.

Aside from the fact that casting on is one of the more complicated processes, it's like assuming that a writer starts at word one, writes all the way to the end, then they're done. 

I've resisted attempts to hire me to teach a class because I don't have the repair skills for rescuing people from the bird's nest which is their early effort, other than by starting over.  Or when someone's pretty good but suddenly comes on a mistake they can't fix after a lot of knitting is done.

A friend of mine dismissed my concerns,took on a class I'd declined, and was distraught after one session. Someone insisted she teach continental, which she didn't know, having planned to teach English style. It didn't go well.

What I've done for the occasional beginner I've got started, is to cast on a few stitches for them, have them learn the knit and purl stitches, then when they've got the hang of holding the yarn and the needles all at once, progress to casting on for themselves. Same for people going from crochet to knitting. 

For beginners in crochet, I've created the starting chain to let them get right into learning a crochet stitch, turning at the end, first learning when they're actually at the end. Turning too soon results in an accidental triangle effect. Then, once okay with the yarn and hook, they're ready to chain like veterans.

It's a good idea to know both knitting and crochet because you use both in design. I crocheted my provisional cast on for these socks. And you can use crochet for finishing knitted things. 

I've never understood the chasm between the two, and definitely never understood the attitude that one's better than the other. I suspect it's fueled by those magazine features trying to stir up debate and sell copies.

It's like the question of dogs vs cats, why, why. I wonder if it's that need to classify and reduce life to sound bite thinking, just to make it easier.

Anyway, happy day everyone, knit on, crochet on, read on, whatever-floats-your- boat on..


I have a routine doctor visit today, and hope it stays that way. The last one unleashed the osteoporosis discovery, and the last routine eye doctor visit unleashed a summer of eye surgery.  Soon there's the dermatologist visit and who knows what she'll find.. cue ominous music here..

Meanwhile, as I say, happy day!

12 comments:

  1. I've been using the same purse since covid began. A leather backpack bag. I do love it.
    I like using craisins in salads, especially. They work well with apples and nuts. Just like raisins do but a tangier taste.
    Those socks are going to be nice. And I do very much like the Japanese woodblock prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the doctor! I remember going to an amazing exhibit of Japanese woodblock prints at the Asia Society in NYC. Really amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only knitting was a pair of socks sometime in middle school. Strangely, I still have them with me here, so I guess I must have been proud of my accomplishment. I used to belong to a crochet group here in the canyon, but it ended with the pandemic.I too will change my summer bag to my winter bag soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a book of postcards in the charity shop the other day and thought of you.
    I am very impressed that you have summer and winter bags. I have one bag that goes everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven’t changed purses yet…soon. Thanks for the reminder. I am oblivious to the seasonal change just now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crocheting - yes I do that. Knitting - no. My aunt tried to teach me how to knit but it just never took. I wish changing out a bag like that would actually make 'fall' appear. We're still having summer (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned to knit in Girl Scouts, but just knit/purl. The only thing I made was a wool scarf. My grandma was an accomplished crocheter and embroider. She didn't knit. I learned embroidery but not how to crochet. Your Japanese prints are eye-catching. Hope the dr visit stayed routine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice seasonal transition.
    Prayers for your good health

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue will put up fall decs any day now, and I shall purchase a pot or 2 of mums.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have one purse I use all year. I've never had a 'summer purse' and a 'winter purse' and instead find one I like and wear it into the ground before I grudgingly go in search of another one and then am upset because I can't find one just exactly like the one that I've worn out. I should pay heed to that and when I find one I like I should buy several but pretty much all my purses are thrifted and thus can't be repeated.
    The only difference I take note of between knit and crochet is the speed factor. I can crochet FAR faster than I could ever hope to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One grandmother taught me to knit, the other crochet. Mother was a dedicated knitter only. I never regarded crocheted garments as having the finesse achieved in knitted ones, but when it comes to rugs and blankets, well knitting can't hold a candle (as they say). Angela, the Aussie Empty Nester blog, has been showing us some of her mosaic crocheted rugs this year and they are fabulous (two sided pattern). The tecnique would make great warm jackets. Here in Greece crocheted handbags are currently all the rage. Your latest postcard display is fabulous. It has got F thinking about stuff stored in memory boxes.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must check that blog, thanks. The accordion book idea is appealing. I know a few people who made them from the postcards they'd stuffed in a drawer, after seeing mine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!