Monday, September 12, 2022

Jigsaw anyone? New socks in action

 The socks are done and in action.



After I'd knitted to my preferred length, I even had leftover yarn, to my great surprise.

Knitting them side by side is definitely the way to go. Once one was cast off, the other was ready to cast off, and it was so much less laborious than one sock at a time. I think that's my m.o. from now on. 

And what treat to just keep knitting the same yarn instead of having to figure out stripes and other ways to eke out the supply. I did make some nice designs, but it's easier if you don't have to.

They're so comfortable, a bit warm for this weather but they'll be great when it's colder. 

Now the denim vest and the socks are done I feel free to think what next. 

Maybe the string mat thing. 

Meanwhile to my surprise I got out one of the jigsaw puzzles I acquired last winter for winter entertainment and never started.


And even found I quite liked doing my San Francisco street scene. Amazing, for someone who isn't a puzzler, crossword, Sudoku, Wordle, scrambles, all leaving me pretty much uninterested. So this is new. 

As a kid i liked to cut up pictures to make into puzzles, just straight cuts. And I created some pretty simple crosswords, and made up riddles to drive my sisters mad. But doing puzzles already thought up,  not so much. Maybe I'll actually do this puzzle thing this winter. 

The library puts out a puzzle now and then for anyone to sit and work on for a while. They set it up near the reference desk, because of experience with obstreperous kids and oblivious parents. 

I think their puzzles might be a bit beyond me, those solid color million pieces type. But we'll see if they resume,  now the pandemic is more or less manageable.

And food continues to happen, Roma plum tomatoes with seasalt, black pepper, blue cheese crumbles, parsley and flaked baked cod. 




Writing a blog like this one, with many ideas and observations and projects, it's always fun to see what people comment on. Often a random throwaway thought is what interests readers more than the ideas I thought were the point. Always good to see what people really like to talk about. 

So here goes again, from my desert island of a life, so many days with no company, no conversation, just my own resources. It's good to have a blog to anchor myself in the human race. 
Happy day everyone, puzzle on!

Photo AC 



19 comments:

  1. Sometimes all the obvious comments have been made, sometimes it really is a flick in a photo that parks a random thought...a shape a combination of colours.... sometimes it is the inspiration to create that your words or activities have triggered. Today we are concerned about you living on a desert island. That takes a strength of character. A life time of resources to call upon is useful, but lonely can take even the best prepared by surprise sometimes. xxx Mr T and F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't knit but I love jigsaws. If they put one out in my library They'd never get rid of me.

    Dinner looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right about that, Mr T. I've outlived so many friends and relatives that it's inevitable. But there are times it's not so easy.

    Liz, I wonder if they have to throw people out of the library at closing time or throw a cloth over the puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such nice, cozy looking socks!
    I'm not a jigsaw puzzler either but I've not completely disregarded the notion that I'll never take it up. It would be a good activity to do while listening to audio books, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking socks though I like mine a bit longer up the calf. I do like jigsaw puzzles and when the grandkids were coming for their visits in the summer before they got grown we always had one out. They can suck me in for hours so I don't usually have one now except for the jigsaw app on my tablet. And yes, good to have a blog to stay connected with other humans. I have my social day with SHARE but other than that I can go days without seeing anyone else except a neighbor who I encounter on the street some evenings as he takes his walk about the time I walk the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You see your husband and sister, no? And your yoga class. And visiting grandchildren. This is quite different from my life.

    I don't think I'll get very engrossed in jigsaw puzzles, but we'll see. That could be famous last words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jigsaw puzzles drive me crazy but I am a life long solver of crosswords, something I got from my father. I like those socks, I rather covet them! I'm making cod tonight, your side sounds like a winner to me. And, I know about the quiet island of a life and how a blog, my own and others, anchors me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My late husband, Handsome Partner, was a keen crossword puzzler. Apparently there are ins and outs to the nyt xword which aficionados love to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Desert Island of a life sounds sad, and weird. You do so much, desert island isn't what I see here. I read about food that inspires me to cook. See knitting that slowly encourages me to try. And the weaving info is a real treat, even though my brain doesn't get it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’d love to knit socks. I tried once but the yarn was so thin it was taking ages to grow
    Might have to try again with thicker yarn. Yours look lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. SP, I see what you're saying. Thank you for the encouragement.

    Angela, get thicker yarn and give it another try. If you're used to crocheting heavy yarn into rugs, it's an adjustment to go to sock yarn, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A blog is a wonderful outlet for interests and random thoughts. I enjoy yours, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blue was lovely. Remember, it's part mohair; bunny I believe, not goat. Thanks for dispensing with a hank of yarn. Now you have a stripe left over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's part alpaca, so I'll proceed accordingly! Handwash etc.I really like the feel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jigsaw puzzles were pretty much always on the 'go' over the winter months for both Resident Chef's family and mine. I will insert a piece or two on my way by but don't have the interest in sitting down and spending much time on them. Resident Chef was doing them up until last winter but for some reason he quit. Could be the discomfort of his sciatica but he's never said. I like crosswords because I like words but don't spend much time on those either. Absolutely detest suduku. Had enough of numbers when I worked in the bank!
    Your socks look cozy and such a pretty colour.
    I agree that blogging serves as an anchor. For me, it's contact with people who have different interests than my own - something that serves to broaden my mind. To say nothing about the friendships formed through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Back when, I would sometimes compose crosswords via an app to help the kids review units. I forgot all about that until now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I smiled as I read "it's always fun to see what people comment on. Often a random throwaway thought is what interests readers more than the ideas I thought were the point." because on you post after this one (I'm reading backwards), it was your final (possibly random?) thought that grabbed me.

    A cross word puzzle! That could be one answer to my slower days while I'm one-handed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I fear puzzles are a big NO at my house. I feel certain the Demon Duo would chase puzzle pieces all over the floor and under the furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When Duncan died, it was the first time in fifty years I had no animals in the house. Not coincidental that jigsaw puzzles never appeared here. They'd never have stood a chance.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!