Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Maybe I'll goof off today then

 Beautiful rainy cool morning


Good day for reading, knitting, traipsing about wondering what to do.

Yesterday was a maelstrom of activity

Tomatoes collected and and ripening, need another windowsill


I finished the sock heels, here's a clean pair of heels, so to speak


And I now have a completed vest, seen here with the pink top that used to be a dress I never wore




It's a pleasure handling that soft old denim and the sari silk.  And the vest slips on so smoothly. Lining for the win.

I did finish the Fethering audiobook while I was knitting and sewing. 

In the evening, comfort food, here pink blancmange, because I needed a little something



Marie's great explanation of the difference between viceroy and monarch butterflies over on her Island Musings blog (go there for wonderful wildlife photography and knowledgeable nature observations, from Prince Edward Island) set me off on a tangent, why are you not surprised.

It's this: what hierarchy-crazed lepidopterists ran about naming butterflies for monarchs, red admirals, viceroys, and moths for emperors? What equally crazed grammarian named the comma butterfly? Were they rewarding their benefactors who financed the expeditions maybe?

And what about the naturalists who angrily named beautiful plants lousewort, scabious, henbit, hogweed? Were they mad because all the grant money went to butterfly people flittting about with nets pretending to be Nabokov?  I only ask. Because that's how my frivolous mind works when I have no one to talk to.

Happy day everyone. Try to be silly, it's good for you and entertains the neighbors.





17 comments:

  1. You're right! Serious investigative journalism needs to be done about insect naming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a busy day yesterday so goofing off today sounds like a good plan. I love that denim/sari silk vest. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that "fireweed" was quite appropriately named. Also "horsefly." They are huge.
    Goofing off sounds lovely. I have to go to town to get groceries and look for seeds. I'm having a very hard time getting motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the grin on my face! Let your frivolous mind wander!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plant names, I believe, sometimes have names from something attributed to its environment and growth. Can't think of an example at the moment.
    Thank you!
    Manuka Honey! I got some!
    Browsing for sales, I stop to check at TJMaxx. In the waiting to check out aisle, I se the word, Manuka! 1.1lb jar $12.99. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz
    I took a small bit. It has a deeper honey flavor, a wider flavor spread, and a mellow ending. It's almost like the difference between a good Scotch vs sweet tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you get a lot of flavor out of just a touch of it. So different from the wildflower honey which tastes much more sugary. I'm glad you tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the shout-out about my blog, Boud. Great job on the vest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No problem, Marie. I get so much out of following Island Musings that I want everyone to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a bunch of green tomatoes! Cool weather? what's that????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blancmange! My grandmother used to make that I as a kid I hated it with a passion. I wonder what the grandmother aged me would make of it - I haven't eaten it since childhood. Interesting observation on naming stuff. We humans have a fixation with naming and categorizing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a haul of tomatoes! I have pictured you living on a smallish plot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are from one self sown plant on the patio. My planting area is the narrow strip around the deck. Total about 35 sq ft. Mostly in half day shade. With shrubs, trees, bulbs, ground cover, herbs, loads of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blancmange! I haven't seen blancmange for years. I used to hate it as a child, something about the skin I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And what wonderful musings on names. I frequently name things after me when I believe I've discovered a new variety!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Entertaining the neighbours is something we have often excelled at.
    Glad you had a goof off day - they're good for the soul. As for the naming of things, I've often wondered how some names came about. To say nothing about the English language as a whole.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!