Thursday, September 15, 2022

Yes we have no vaccine, but gardening is there

So yesterday's greatly nervous trip to the pharmacy for the Covid booster involved getting up my driving nerve to navigate a major highway to a town I was unfamiliar with and a pharmacy inside a store. All that went well, I arrived in good time, very proud of my effort.

And found an apologetic pharmacist telling me there was no vaccine, hadn't been for two days. She waited till half an hour before my appointment to leave a cancellation voicemail. I was already on the road. 

I had received a confirmation text that morning, reminding me of the check-in procedure. For an appointment they knew they couldn't honor. Clearly the software has no relation to the facts. The pharma said I could call to see if they had supplies. And gave me the number I'd been calling since Friday with no answers to any of my questions.

So now I wonder how I can trust them to honor any future appointment I might make, endless input of information required. If I can get one nearer home it would help if they don't have vax after all, I could regroup and do other errands. To give the pharmacist maximum benefit of the doubt, she told me they have no idea when and if vaccine will arrive. So I'm guessing they delay canceling until they're sure it hasn't arrived.

I came home and took a walk to soothe my savage breast. 


Here's part of it, where there used to be all that garbage dumping I complained about. Now it's once again a nice walking area.  

It's the broken window syndrome -- where there's garbage, it attracts more garbage, but where there's obvious care, mowing, pruning, there's no incentive to throw garbage. 

It was only after I got the management to get the cleanup done that the landscapers were able to access this area and mow. The results are terrific. 

In other news, I did a bit of gardening at home, pruned the dead twigs off the thyme and the Thai basil, tied up the butterfly bush and found there are two of them, now tied together, next to the mystery plant.

Amitha's back from India, so I must ask her what it is, since it migrated from her plantings.

I was talking to her husband yesterday, who told me it rained almost every day they were in India, cooped up indoors with the inlaws..by the time they left, the children were quarrelsome with the grandparents, longing to be here with their friends. 

He commented that when they got home and it rained here they were groaning,  until Gary said no, we're longing for it, after the heatwaves! I think India and NJ must have had a climate exchange.

Back in the garden, I cut a bunch of sage to hang in the kitchen to dry, along with the basil already drying. 


They're near the stove, right there to use.

Soon I'm going to bring in the ficus, a heroic effort usually, and the pots of Thai basil and Italian basil to the kitchen. 

I'm reading Donna Leon, essays on Venice, really entertaining and funny brief writings, highly recommend 

And I finally, after many weeks of waiting, got


Which turns out to be a chicklit beach read rather than the engrossing novel I'd hoped for.  

It definitely suffers from being read soon after the piercingly intelligent and funny Leon. Like chicken nuggets after Julia Child's roast chicken. But okay if you're in the mood for chicken nuggets.

On one of my many recent doctor office visits recently, the receptionist was intrigued by this pin and asked about it.



It's the bird's nest longtime blogistas will remember. A friend with cashmere goats sent me a sample of cashmere fiber from a couple of them,  needing to be processed, guard hairs and debris removed, long picky job, but I was happy doing it. 

I spun then knitted this bird's nest, in the natural colors of the goats, whose names I knew at the time.  This used up all the samples, just a tiny experiment. 

I pinned it on this jacket and forgot where it was. I do this, then when people ask, I have to squint down at my lapel to see what pin they're talking about. 

So I guess this is today's art offering.

Happy day everyone, if your vaccine doesn't arrive, don't take it personally. It's the triumph of software over reality. A metaphor for life.




13 comments:

  1. I believe that your mystery plant is papaya! Or so says my plant app and I think it may be right.
    What a disappointment not to get your booster after all of that! Ugh!
    Yes. I'd try to find one nearer to home. And you've reminded me that I need to do that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have one of the better apps. Thank you.

    I'm trying again, appointment today, also unknown place but nearer home, I know how to get there. Let's see if they actually have the vaccine. Impossible to reach a person to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find that vaccine soon. it seems another variant is circulating here...I'm a Leon fan and had not heard of that book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that's disappointing, about the vaccine! Hopefully next time they'll be able to iron out the supply/demand messaging issue. I second Mrs. Moon's suggestion that your mystery plant is a papaya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'd think someone could program the computer to text a selection of messages including "we're out now and don't know when more will be in". I am jealous you can hang herbs to dry. Too humid here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roast chicken and chicken nuggets...funny!! Hopefully you will be vaccinated today. We need to get boosted, too. I put My Venice on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It can be infuriating dealing with automated messages and machines. It would be hard to trust them again!

    My husband always refers to the broken window syndrome. He hates seeing anything left around a public area!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am soryy you had to go through the booster fiasco. You are brave to have tried.

    The yard looks pleasing. I have hope it will stay that way. Love the little nest! Before reading it is a nest, I thought it was a cameo pin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very annoying especially as you pushed past the comfort zone to get there.
    I don’t travel far from home if it’s not in our town I’m not going. Thankfully as more and more people move to the area the
    Doctors and other medical buildings are being built around here.
    Makes my life much easier

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry, they didn't have any vaccine, after you made the effort to get there. I must call our Walmart and find out about the vaccine. I don't shop at Walmart, but I must say that their pharmacy is terrific. At least in our town.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And speaking of vaccine, three cheers for Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have been so aggravated with that vaccine snafu. Heck, I'm aggravated on your behalf. Glad you were able to walk it off. Hope tomorrow's attempt is simple and successful.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  13. We must book appointments although our rollout is always slower than yours. Meanwhile, daughter’s LTC has had to lockdown one floor. So, I uses booster 3 is a little late for them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!