Saturday, September 3, 2022

Salt, Jorts and Donna

Yesterday I added a salt to my  collection, thank you Sandra. Basil salt. 


Reading clockwise from the clear container: kosher, coarse seasalt, basil salt, mix of dried basil and seasalt,  here wrongly labeled, but now corrected, can't get good help these days, regular iodized salt, Himalayan pink. My little container of spicy ground kosher still in the cabinet, camera shy.

I use them all for different purposes including cleaning. Kosher salt and olive oil make a great scrub for cast iron, preserving the patina and the nonstickitude. Table salt and lemon juice clean copper on the rare occasions when I clean my only copper, a tiny little pan.

Yesterday was a perfect sitting outside watching clouds day. Mare's tails or contrails, still lovely.




While reading ny latest Donna Leon


Taking place in the pandemic.

And for people interested in the phenom that is Jorts



Right side of history, I'd say. 

Speaking of phenoms, goodbye and thank you to Serena, best of all time tennis player and fighter of racism. Never forgot her parents.

Also a more permanent farewell to Barbara Ehrenreich, whose Nickel and Dimed among other writing, spoke for the working poor, RIP.

Happy day everyone, rest on, fight on, never forget where you came from.


Photo AC 


11 comments:

  1. Oh, I hadn't heard that Barbara Ehrenreich died. A great thinker and activist, RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard about Barbara Ehrenreich's death either. Nickled and Dimed opened my mind to so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard about Barbara Ehrenreich either! I loved "Nickel and Dimed" when I read it years ago. She used to write a lot for Harper's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose I should read non fiction now and then. I used to. These days since I live reality I want my entertainment to be fictional. We brought back an assortment of three small boxes of different salts from Hawai'i; red (sea salt, with red alaea [iron oxide volcanic clay] for an earthy flavor), black (sea salt with activated charcoal for detox diets and 'stunning presentations'), white (pure sea salt).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am wondering is basil salt should be shortened to basalt, but maybe not, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen I envy you those salts. My seasalt is the plain white.

    AC, i think basalt might confuse the issue if a chunk showed up on my salt shelf.

    Ehrenreich died Thursday morning. Her son announced it shortly after.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a fine collection of salt! My friend in Denmark clued me in on herbs in salt. I didn't know about salt and olive oil to clean cast iron, thanks for that. You had a gorgeous skyscape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salt is amazing. My favorite is sea salt for its sharpness.
    Your clouds make me smile.
    I just posted cirrus clouds in the Vermont sky from this morning. It isn't usual they cover most of the sky I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aha, thank you for enlightenment. Up with Jorts indeed!

    Barbara Ehrenreich was an eye-opening journalist. Nickeled and Dimed was extremely enlightening to my callow and privileged youthfulness. And we're still fighting that battle.

    Yes per AC: basalt!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  10. I shall have to try the salt and oil scrub on my pan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Resident Chef was once gifted with a selection of different salts and I think finally just used the last of it not too long ago. He wasn't overly impessed with the entire thing and thinks that salt is salt. I have, however, convinced him that sea salt is preferable to the iodized.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!