Friday, September 23, 2022

Good news and other news

 So here's the good news


To look forward to. Two whole dozen snowdrops on the way. To be a memorial planting for Irene.

Yesterday's pleasure was to resume this


Too soon to know what it will be. This is the cordage made from daylily foliage and iris leaves, with silk roving added in. To Thrones and Dominions audiobook.

Then the other news. A major talent has left us, but her work survives

If you haven't read the Wolf Hall trilogy, put it on your winter reading list, it's totally gripping.

I have a weird connection with Hilary Mantel. I read in her memoirs an account of the view from a house she'd lived in briefly as a child, and kept thinking how familiar it all felt. 

A bit of detection revealed that in fact I had been in that room in that house. A University friend lived with her family there, and I saw that view on the morning of her wedding from the house. 

Handsome Partner was best Man, I was matron of honor, and it was a happy morning getting them all out to the local church. 

Considering Mantel's later writing on how houses are haunted by earlier inhabitants and events, it feels oddly significant.

And today's art, art will save us all


In good news, Judge Cannon has retracted the disputed classified document order completely, leaving only the other documents to be examined. The first and probably last big case of her career. Total admission of incompetence.

We need to get out the vote, keep the House, improve the Senate and keep good things going.

Happy day everyone, seeing my knitting buds today




8 comments:

  1. That's quite the connection with Hilary Mantel! I haven't read any of her books but I did see the TV series of "Wolf Hall" which was excellent. Quite the revisionist view of both Thomas Cromwell and Sir Thomas More.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and appropriate bulbs to plant in her memory.It's so good to see you can resume your cording. It seems a painstaking process. I am tentatively hopeful that trump will pay for his crimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your Mantel connection is an impressive "brush with fame"! I haven't read any of her books, I'm ashamed to say. Maybe that will be a good winter reading project.

    I hadn't heard Cannon retracted her order! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad news, the loss of a favorite author. Her name goes on my reading list

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why have I not read the Wolf Hall books? Crazy that you were in that same house, same room. Life is funny.
    An author named Connie May Fowler used to live in the house I live in now. In fact, her ex-husband sold us the house. She wrote a book in which the house and a fictionalized version of her ex were prominent. The name of the book is "How Clarissa Burden Learned To Fly." Unfortunately, it is not a very good book.
    Even more bizarre to me, is that she now lives in Cozumel. What the hell?
    I think that your snowdrops will be the perfect tribute for your sister. What a lovely thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will check out Mantel’s books. Interesting connection to her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I planted snowdrops and crocus and some other spring bulbs all around my brother's grave. My daughter helped me. We were so late, we were locked in the cemetery and drove around for half an hour looking for some service drive to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes the connections in this world are pretty incredible. What are the odds that you would have been in the same room.
    The snowdrops are a perfect memorium for Irene. I know she would appreciate that so much because she loved her flower garden.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!