Saturday, September 17, 2022

Such a rich life

Yesterday was the knitting group, a reunion with two members who hadn't seen there for ages, and my first since all the exciting health events over the summer.

Here's the endless scarf in progress by our self taught young artist friend, with him considering how much longer to go.


And the temperature blanket in progress by the other person in the picture

The black stripes separate the months 

In other good news they're thinking of moving the morning of the book group which means I could rejoin. It's the same day as the knitting group and I can't do both in one day, time, mileage etc, so I've been choosing the knitting group and missing the bookies.

And the library, this is a library based group, has a current exhibit about early artifacts of the Lenni Lenape original inhabitants, sadly driven out by colonial settlers.

Not very good pictures, light poor, refiections




There are many flint and slate arrowheads, clay lamps and other interesting items in the fields around here , sometimes turned up by spring plowing.

When foundations are dug for new buildings, it's not unusual to turn up interesting early artifacts. Princeton university sends little teams of hopeful archaeologists out, and there's one area down the road which I think may be a learning place, since I've several times seen teams of  students turning over the same corner of a field each spring. 

When RCA built their HQ, across from where we eventually came to live in West Windsor, our neighbors who already lived there would go across after hours, and search about in the upturned earth. 

They found a lot of recognizable items like little oil lamps, the small clay type, arrowheads, axe heads, great stuff. The official archaeologists struck out and the neighbors were so sorry for them that they handed over most of their finds for the museum collection! It was a huge neighborhood joke that two housewives had wiped the eye of the Important Museum People!

Then friend Amitha, next door, back from India, came over with treats they'd brought back


Did ever a person have better neighbors? I think they really appreciate how I love the kids, since a lot of older people are more in the get off my lawn frame of mind. I told her it was far too quiet with them away!

How can anyone bear to move to those 55+ places, where only the occasional visiting grandchild is as seen in the deserted streets? Not my jam, anyway, even when it's noisy I'd rather be pestered with kids and the hilarious things they argue about.

So that's us. The San Francisco jigsaw puzzle is coming along.

 I find I'm the put a couple of pieces in in passing style of puzzler rather than being engrossed for hours.  It's nice to have it in progress on the table.

Happy day everyone I hope your day's as rich as mine



16 comments:

  1. I like the Endless Scarf and the Temperature Blanket! When I was a kid, it was a popular hobby to collect indigenous arrowheads found in the earth where I lived too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I remember hearing about the Lenape when I lived in East Brunswick! That's quite a scarf that guy has going. And the temperature blanket is nice -- I have another blog pal who makes those, and I'll have to suggest the black line idea for separating months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That scarf! It reminds me of the one my friend Kathleen made me for although Kathleen's is long AND wide- a veritable true hug of a wearable blanket. She wove bells into it.
    The temperature blanket is a different kind of a work of art.
    As are the artifacts.
    How lovely to have such sweet neighbors. I wish there were more children living near me. They've all grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what a temperature blanket is. That is some scarf! There are no children where I live, just a bunch of old people and I don't live in a retirement community!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The temperature blanket is two rows daily for a year using pre chosen colors to illustrate the outside temp. It takes a lot of small amounts of yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting knitting, beautiful colors. Good to read can return to the book group.
    Arrowhead hunting was a family week-end event when I was a kid. I found one, but it was picked up by a sibling. I still see the image in memory of the dusty soil. I let the loss go sometime in my sixties. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the nicest neighbours. Then again, so do they!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are the rules for the endless scarf? How does it become finite?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the blanket and the people you are lucky to be around...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joanne, I don't think there are any rules for anything Randi does! He's a force of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Couldn't agree with anything more than your comments about having children in your community and neighbourhood. Living in one of those age restricted developments would be purgatory, and having lived in 'other language' places for a lot of my adult life I can verify that kids are the best teachers - of everything (not just language but all kinds of cultural nuances). That temperature blanket is interesting. Is it colour for each day's temperature? xxx F and Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colors are designed to match a range of a few degrees decided by the knitter. And the colors match the feel-- reds and oranges hotter weather grays and blues colder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A friend of mine does a temperature blanket but she crochets. I'll have to tell her about the black row separating the months.

    I read an article about a nursing home in another country where they gave young college students free room in exchange for just socializing with the residents and the old people did so much better. I'm with you about those retirement villages that don't allow young people. Wouldn't want to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the idea of separating months on the temperature blanket. I started one a few years ago but, after six months, the colors were all warm, very warm, hot, hot, hot. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the most interesting temperature blankets are made in states with clear seasonal changes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!