Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Trying morning, then Textiles and Tea improved things

 


The day didn't start auspiciously. Cleaners expected today, to clean and take any artist-made books they liked from the pile I left out, before I offer them elsewhere. 

So I set off for the library, to be out from under foot, pouring rain. And on the way there in traffic, loud alerts, flashing screens, thumpety-thump, limped into the library parking lot, nearest safe stopping place, and found I had a flat tire.

This changed my plans a bit. Gary came to the library, and the rescue, with jack, tools, knowhow, still pouring rain, pointed out my wheel had a theft proof lock on it. Asked me for the key. Key? No idea, didn't even know wheels came with keys. 

So he rummaged in my glove box and found a little purse thing with a little tool thing in it, which evidently was the key. There, unknown to me,  for the four years I've been driving it.

He changed the tire heroically, still pouring rain, and we drove home, my car still emitting all kinds of loud alerts and flashing screens. He then tried driving it, surmised that the computer was upset over the new wheel, maybe just a reset needed. 

We the took two cars to a favorite local garage of his, left mine with the old tire, and a request to check the brake system since that was one of the alerts flashing on the screen, and came home. 

Later we got a call, verdict: brakes okay,  tire no use, shredded, come collect my car, get a new tire, garage man would install it. So the part of the afternoon I thought I'd be at the knitting group, was spent here with Gary drinking tea, figuring out the right tire, and ordering it online. This will come to about $200 by the time it's done. Sigh. 

The good news came later with

on Textiles and Tea, a weaver and sculptor in wire, mainly 28-gauge, in  various metals. That's the gauge I used in copper and brass, back when I knitted components for mixed media artworks. 

Look at some of her marvelous pieces





this was a statement about the dying coral reefs, from several years ago, left the healthy reef, right the bleached skeleton.



She also incorporates dyed felt and roving


And she's written a book





She's a true teacher. She had mentioned experimenting with wire weaving on pinlooms, which got my attention right away, and I put up a thank you for the instant epiphany: that's what I need to do next. 

Whereupon she got back and said she had some useful thoughts, and I should be in touch. Which I will be, wheeeee!! The day took a sudden upward leap!

I'd just been talking with Gary about how I needed to shed art and other stuff from around me because it stopped forward movement, and an hour later this new combination of past work in wire suddenly came together with upcoming work with a pinloom.  

I think it's the space from moving on from the art work friend G took, and the couple of artist books I think the cleaners accepted. It leaves breathing room for future work. I'm very thrilled that I've found a new/old direction.

Here's where the work lives, now.


and a much better selfie, taken by G. I'm five foot two, barely, and I tower over her! I feel tall around her.

So there's today, and a full one it was. Posting tonight because tomorrow is about Easter, finally, and I'll be occupied eating candy and other nutritious Easter fare.

Happy day everyone, I hope your highs are high and your lows only moderate.





32 comments:

  1. That wire art is stunning! But - aggggghhhh - a flat tire! And in the pouring rain!
    Not the end of the world, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wire art and the photo of you two but flats are always a pain. Gary is a jewel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's a great friend. And that art is amazing.

      Delete
  3. Bummer about the tire, especially in the pouring rain, which just makes it worse. And hooray for good old Gary coming to the rescue! Congrats on finding a new artistic outlook and path -- looking forward to seeing what you will create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exciting to have a new form to work on, yes. Gary commented, rain dripping off him, good thing this isn't snow, didn't have to dig through to the tire!

      Delete
  4. Talk about a roller-coaster of a day! May your Easter repast with HS be the perfect antidote to the way this morning progressed. Please give Gary our communal appreciation for coming to the rescue in a major way.

    What a Textiles and Tea to lift the spirits, especially your epiphany and the speaker's offer to talk later. As you say, wheeee!

    Chris from Boise

    PS lovely selfie of two lovely ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G is lovely, always chic and beautiful real jewelry. I'm hoping today will sort of go as planned.

      Delete
  5. I've said it before but Gary is a star. What a morning though. Hope your week gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful final photo. So glad you were able to turn your day around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it sort of turned itself around, but I was certainly glad about that.

      Delete
  7. Too bad about the tire, Boud. There is always something…our microwave gave out last week. Glad Gary was able to help, as you always help him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always something, as you say. But I was rescued!

      Delete
  8. Ugh. I HATE flat tires! I suppose I should not say that as Mr. Moon owned a tire and auto repair shop for many years and that paid our bills. And made him old before his time. And yet- flat tires are always a most unplanned and expensive situation.
    To be honest, I am not sure how I feel about the weaving of wire and ensuing sculptures. I can see and appreciate the artistry but it does not resonate with my soul. Is that okay?
    I do, however, love that picture of you and your friend. She is a tiny thing!
    Good for you for making way for new art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different art for different people! Notice I'm bending to get in the picture with G? I've often thought, when I'm faced with yet another scary expense, that I've always been in the wrong line of work! Shoulda been a plumber, a chimney cleaner, now tire store owner!

      Delete
  9. flat tires are bad enough but in the pouring rain? kudos to Gary for coming to your rescue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did seem over the top. Good thing I took my umbrella. I hadn't planned to.

      Delete
  10. Now I love Gary even more! I do like the art a lot. Also the one you gave your friend. Have a wonderful day with HS....and we are the same height.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are tall. Compared to really small people. I'm glad you liked seeing the art.

      Delete
  11. Oh, that tire episode sounds exhausting! Thank goodness you had the key in your glove box and Gary knew what to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He always seems to know or be able to figure out what to do. Great rescuer

      Delete
  12. As I've noted before, you and Gary support each other well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of weaving with wire but is sure is lovely.
    Nice that you got your tire taken care of if I need a new tire I have to purchase 4 because of all wheel drive in my suv.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the wire art. Stunning.
    As for cars. Well they’re really expensive. Kinda why I married a mechanic lol
    But honestly. Tires are very important. Glad your getting a new one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, important. But no choice where I live.

      Delete
  15. So glad you were safe when your tire went flat. I'm curious... Does Gary have any idea how many fans he has among your readers?!? Love your thoughts about clearing out some art to make room for more creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd brush it off if I told him! But he's not happy about my giving away art, though he's coming to understand why I'm doing it.

      Delete
  16. Oh goodness - yet more drama! Good thing you were able to get stopped in a safe spot and your White Knight could come to the rescue (Gary is a wonder!).
    Good thing you had Textiles and tea to calm your nerves and light your creative fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a local treasure! the first part of the day wasn't so good.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!