Thursday, April 25, 2024

Stitching, renovating, Misfits and cabbage

Early morning start on stitching today and I really enjoyed just doing whatever suggested itself. I've left the book fabric intact for now, so I can see the different pages as they emerge. 



After trotting up and down a flight in search of floss, I finally brought down some of the floss drawers to where I was working on the sofa


Picture is sideways, and the little rug you see on the left is that piece I wove a while back, which saw me nicely through the winter.

While I stitched I listened to Norman Baker, former member of parliament and cabinet minister, examining the finances and secrecy of the British royals. 


The title refers to one of the classic questions put by royals at receptions, to their guests.

It's a good analysis of the general economy of the country and the extent to which the royals seize income and gifts, while spending carefully. 

This surge of stitched book interest is the result of getting some artworks sent out into the world, some on their way soon to blogistas,  when I get to the post office. 

I've picked out a couple of things I think you'll like. The mental space they're leaving causes new energy and ideas to flow, so thank you. 



Misfits came, too, minus a couple of items, but I'm not near starving. The swiss cheese was going on top of the second cabbage casserole, the cheddar into it.

The chocolate covered almond bits are highly nutritious (!) vital dietary component.

Later, here's the casserole 

The top was browned and it was pretty good. That's the cabbage sorted.

Later Gary came over to bring me in to see his latest renovation, or endless renovation. He seems to be rebuilding the entire fireplace wall now. Not sure why, it may be one of those one thing led to another situations that happen to him.

Happy day everyone, I hope good things happen to you today.



33 comments:

  1. I see blueberries in your misfits box. Oh, how I miss blueberries but I will not pay what they are asking for them now. I only discovered them a few years ago - I always imagined I would hate their texture. I wish they had a longer growing season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, and have them every week they're available. Great food.

      Delete
  2. I like your idea of getting a natural curve with the string ironed onto the fabric, and that book interests me, so must look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really see other applications of that ironing idea, to impress a design without marking fabric.

      Delete
  3. It’s a good thing I just finished breakfast. The casserole (and the dark chocolate covered broken almonds) look way too good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The almonds are a great idea. Rescued food. Almond pieces otherwise discarded, collected, covered in dark chocolate, successful combo.

      Delete
  4. We are having roast chicken today and I am roasting cabbage slices with it. Love that vegetable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great way to get food that you can use up for fun things. I love that. At the Co-Op, we'll often buy unsalted, non-roasted cashew bits. Best on the reno!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday to you, and have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my sister left behind a drawer full of embroidery thread. not sure what I'm going to do with it. give it away eventually I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check around in case there are library or other classes in fiber arts who can use them? When you're ready.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It's great for our sudden freezing weather again. 80s next week. April in NJ.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It is, and reheats well, so it's several meals.

      Delete
  10. I have sent you an email!
    I swear to you- yesterday as I was going about my busy-ness, I thought, "Oh, it's Thursday! Liz will be getting her Misfits box!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as I think on Fridays, Mary will be doing clean sheets and martinis! I'll look for your email.

      Delete
  11. Your casserole almost makes me like cabbage. Good idea to bring the floss to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The floss moving is one of those why didn't I do this before things. It's because I forgot the floss was in two stacked drawer containers, not one big one which I couldn't have carried downstairs. Duh!

      Delete
  12. As ever, I enjoy seeing your creativity, as well as the recipes from misfits boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There's always a reason behind the misfits choices.

      Delete
  13. So much crafting going on at your place.
    My juices have kinda dried up. So I’ll just continue with the knit down jumper I’m making. At least I’m still crafting I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone hits a fallow period now and then. It's part of creating.

      Delete
  14. Your stitching is so exquisite and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's such an encouraging thing to say.

      Delete
  15. That's quite a bit of embroidery already, Liz. Your freeform stitching is fun. And perfect for your curve of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curve of inspiration! I love that. I also love your new avatar with sharp new hairstyle. Very chic.

      Delete
  16. I'm sure chocolate-covered almonds are one of the food groups (at least they are in MY world!!).
    Sounds like Gary suffers from what we call the 'galloping ick' in respect to one thing leading to another. I really want to change the colour of our living room but then I stop and think that it connects with the hall to the bedroom and to the entranceway and realize that the 'galloping ick' will be at work and I think better of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suspect one repair led to the next, or he kept finding things that had to be done before he could get to what he originally planned.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!