Wednesday, April 10, 2024

The hearing journey, and art will save us all

This is the entrance of the building where the ENT has his offices, and where I had my preliminary appointment this afternoon.

 Just a lovely covered walkway with plants in the earth and in pots, ficus, fiddle leaf figs, crotons, draecena, shrubs, very calming. I wouldn't mind going there just to sit and weave. Anyway all the way down there, his suite door is among the greenery 

He took a history, a lot I had sent online ahead of time, looked in my ears and mouth and wrote it all up.  

Then he set me up with a hearing test followed immediately by another visit with him with results and recommendations. Late May. 

Scheduling both him and an audiologist together is the trick, and this is the earliest. I guess I can wait a bit longer, now that I've got my nerve up.

Then I left by the nearest exit. This turned out to be the entirely wrong side of the complex, of course, my usual leaving a building performance,  and entailed a lovely brisk walk until I finally found my car. I rationalized it was exercise, anyway.

So art definitely had a place in the day, here a new square, yarn and wire together, manipulated into a shape.



And set with the earlier parts. And that square I made with pins in cardboard I wove wire into, then shaped it to add to the group.




There's another, larger square in this turquoise yarn, which I plan to thread with wire tomorrow, as another, bigger, component. Then we'll see.

Right now this is all unconnected pieces until I decide how and if they'll work. Then I'll see how to join them, and what more is needed. 

There's a lot yet to think about. I might make plain unrelated yarn squares while I think.  Mouse blankets.

In other vital news, I find the earthquake may have jolted a couple of things, such as the water pipes,  outside faucet suddenly running. 

It's always open all winter, the pipes emptied and the shutoff valve shut. But the valve may have been jolted open a bit. It's in an upstairs closet, but it's bone dry, no leaking. So I retightened it, checked the outside faucet,  still dripping a bit, so I shut it off, no freezing concern now. 

And my clothes dryer, situated close to the shut-off valve I'd tughtened,  has lost the sensor function, though I was still able to get it going on the manual timer. 

I'd run about checking the circuit breaker, check, the upstairs plugs, switching out to check the plug worked, check, concluded it was the dryer.

I wonder if the shaking could do that. I have a feeling that's an expensive repair which I may opt not to worry about. 

Always something! But that green walkway at the ENT office just lifted my nervous spirits a lot.

Happy day everyone, weave on and keep your pipes working..






40 comments:

  1. That weaving is coming along. It kinda looks like birds around a tropical plant to me. The walkway is really beautiful. It would definitely bring down my anxiety.
    I hope you get all your pipes working again. Without too much money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The walkway made a lot of difference to my apprehension. There are other doctor offices like this in the area, but this was my first experience of one. It's a great idea.

      Delete
  2. I’m fascinated by your weavings. The entrance to the offices looks like an oasis. Very tempting to park for a while (as long as you remember the way out).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it would be nice to just sit there, nobody would know I didn't have an appointment.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful calming walkway, ideal for patients who might be a little apprehensive. And it hadn't registered with me that you'd be able to shape those weavings. How ingenious. I shall wait with interest to see if/how you put them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The walkway is really great for allaying anxiety. Worked for me.
      Yes, the idea of the wire is to create pieces that you can reshape. We'll see how it works. If it works.

      Delete
  4. That calming walkway to your appointment is very attractive.
    I shall be interested to see how you amalgamate your pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to say amalgamate now. it's much better than the words I've been using. The people in that building were all so nice, it's like a forest walk on their way into work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a doctor's office or any medical office with such thoughtful planting. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a seventies idea, when there were a lot of plant greenhouses heated in winter, where we'd hang out on cold Sunday afternoons. The fuel crisis closed them. Being among plants like this, all round, is good for your spirits.

      Delete
  7. I would swear Dave went to that same doctor when we lived in New Jersey. I'm pretty sure I remember that walkway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on Ewing st in Princeton. Yes, very likely it was built then.

      Delete
  8. I also think they look like birds, the art that is. I've never seen anything like that entrance, beautiful. I would agree about the dryer. If it still can be run, why spend money only to find out it can't be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use the dryer a lot anyway, so I figure a knee jerk rush to fix it wasn't needed.

      Delete
  9. I love that blue! OMG. So pretty. Glad you got your nerve up. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any new doctor is anxiety producing, especially this one with unknown outcomes. But the greenery helped.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry it gives you anxiety. Glad you pushed past that though. Sometimes we just gotta lean into it and do things anyway. Go you!

      Delete
  10. Yes, that green walkway at the ENT office is just lovely! Glad your appointment went well. The journey begins to better hearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the hope. It might be a pricey journey.

      Delete
  11. Going to the doctor is always stressful. I do like your blue art pieces. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything that helps with stress is good. Thanks for the nice words about the current art.

      Delete
  12. I have occasionally exited through the wrong door, especially in a complex hospital. Or getting to the right door has also been problematic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually get lost when leaving, so happy to be leaving I lose my sense of direction!

      Delete
  13. I try to leave a bit early for appointments since I am likely to get lost going to appointments rather than after them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always about leaving plenty of time for getting lost on the way. That doesn't happen much because I'm thinking. Afterwards thinking is out the window!

      Delete
  14. Maybe you could go to your appt in May extra early and enjoy some quiet time in that beautiful space. Endless possibilities for shaping and "amalgamating" your creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, my May visit is to another building around the corner where I've been before, newer, no walkway. It does have a lot of trees. Well around here, everywhere has a lot of trees.

      I'm amalgamating up a storm!

      Delete
  15. That is a beautiful walkway.
    I see a 3point something earthquake shook your area yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🆔 didn't notice. Us experienced earthquake watchers, anything below a 4.. I'm channeling California friends now.

      Delete
  16. What a lovely calming space. All medical offices should be like that.
    Can you claim earthquake damage on your insurance?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is quite a walkway to a doctor's office. Beautiful. And your weaving is fun. I love your playful attitude about art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice experience to walk down looking for your doctor's door. Art needs to be fun!

      Delete
  18. With that kind of inviting approach I might even enjoy going to the doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a much prettier and more relaxing entry to a doc office than most are and it makes great sense that it would be relaxing and lovely and a good way to start a visit. Good luck with the test and all! Your creations are really interesting and make me think about playing with the wire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good sign when seeing someone's art makes you feel like doing some yourself.
      I think that planted walkway is a really healthy approach.

      Delete
  20. Such a lovely approach to what most people would find to be a harrowing test. Wonder if it was planned that way.
    Interesting to see your progress with the sculptural elements and now I'm curious to see what happens next. Will you put them together into one bigger piece or will they remain smaller elements that will comprise the whole. Will just have to wait and see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a building full of medical suites and yes, this gentle green way was designed to be peaceful, like a walk in the woods on your way in. Very healthy!
      I don't know exactly what's next with the artwork, probably joined up in a single piece.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!