Friday, April 19, 2024

Misfits box, Lucy Locket Pocket, powerhouse supper

Misfits box arrived mid morning.  This is so much better than when they used FedEx, because, unlike FedEx,  the pink Imperfect Food vans are only delivering food boxes, handled by people who know what they're doing. 


They've started a tipping mechanism for drivers, which seems like a good idea. They add it automatically and you can increase it. And they assured me repeatedly that the driver gets all of it.

I need green vegetables, spring calling! Always having a glass of cilantro or parsley in the refrigerator is good then I add them in to whatever's on my plate.

Here I have dandelion leaves, lovely spring tonic, and old favorite baby spinach. And there's shrimp pieces, maybe a curry or a pasta dish, we'll see. Diced tomatoes, versatile veg.

And Thursday evening, supper was a rapid power meal 

Piece of multi grain toast, bed of steamed spinach and parsley, poached egg on top, fresh cut chives, fancy. All Misfits, all organic. From thinking to dining was about fifteen minutes.

This is why I need my strength -- making stuff. It takes mental energy to design and make. Today was the Lucy Locket Pocket.

I didn't use a pattern for the pocket, just drew a kind of pear shape,  two layers, cut together. Then the opening for your hand to slip in. I tried this with my hand before cutting, and measured the pocket against myself, short torso, needs to be the right size.

As you see, plenty of room below the slit so things can't fall out when you sit.




You see I'm using bias tape in a nice blue, opened up for the first pass. Then it's folded over the raw edge, brought down the other side, and the second pass closes the tape and encloses the raw edges.


It's pleasing, makes your work look polished! I think this is some of a haul of bias tape from Judy T, thank you. I gave a lot to embroiderers to cover hoops, and still had plenty to choose from.  

I'll probably make the ties from bias tape, too. Or ribbon if I have any long enough.

In the course of cutting, my rotary cutter fell apart, I reassembled it and find I'd put it together wrong, probably from the last time I changed the blade. It's assembled right now, more functional, parts in the right order.

Happy day everyone, always good to have your parts in the right order!




29 comments:

  1. I find cabbage is a versatile vegetable. We are eating lots of it these days too and spinach added in with the cabbage is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like mixed steamed greens, and there's cabbage in the freezer for use soon.

      Delete
  2. I admire you for your Misfits box and the meals you create. I think we have had something like Misfits in the past but the company went broke.
    US tipping does my head in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like tipping because I think people should be paid properly in the first place, but I won't refuse my lovely drivers a bit extra. I like how misfits makes it easier to plan and cook, since I don't spend energy physically shopping.

      Delete
  3. I looked and I think all my parts are in order, at least a semblance of order! Misfits is delivered by FedEx here. Your pocket looks so nice it's a shame it won't be seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pocket can be worn outside other clothes though, and probably will be.
      I'm in a trial region with the Imperfect deliveries, because they also pick up the insulated bags and freezer blocks, which I never remember to put out.

      Delete
  4. I woke up this morning feeling if none of my parts were in order! I need someone to come and put them back together properly.
    I've made that very same meal before and it is delicious and easy, just as you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice little meal, checks a lot of boxes.

      Delete
  5. Food for another week. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Cooking is also entertainment to me, a twofer.

      Delete
  6. I was reading sometime back about the physical training and strict diet that chess masters do! All that cogitation requires incredible stamina and energy! Artists like yourself must have similar needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's similar. When you look at an artwork and see movement and energy, it's from the maker's brain. Like sex, very tiring if you're doing it right.

      Delete
  7. the fabric is so thin now on one of my favorite summer skirts I'm starting to see little holes all over. guess it won't last much longer so I'll have to make a new one to replace it. I think I'll stick with my gathered skirt with side seam pockets. but I do admire all your explorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a change of pace, but I can see how you like your tried and true.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE THAT BOX OF GOOOOOOODIES!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still of the old fashioned variety and do my own shopping. As for tipping it is getting ridiculous now. Soon people will be expecting tips just to say good morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I am eighty-one years old, but still very fit and active. I can lead a nature walk of fifteen kilometres and barely break a sweat.

      Delete
  10. That pocket looks so neat and trim.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you hand sew everything or have you a machine as well?
    Your food is always so beautifully presented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I handsew everything, because I love to do it. I gave away my machine years ago, hate using a machine. It feels brutal by comparison.

      I do like to set up food nicely, to make sure to keep up my appetite. It's smaller now so I need to not lose interest.

      Delete
  12. I would love that supper. And your Lucy Locket pocket is a work of art. As my Norwegian family would say: Du er flink! (You are clever!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can certainly see that pocket in use with all sorts of outfits. Wouldn't it be lovely made in a multitude of fabrics that would coordinate with different outfits.
    To tip or not to tip seems to be an ongoing 'thing' these days. I learn more about it from our #1 son who is the chef and know that servers (at least in a restaurant environment) are paid the bare-bones minimum and they rely on their tips to manage to make a living wage. Sadly, if you pay via credit card oftentimes the tips are absorbed by unscrupulous restaurant owners - or at the very least, they skim off the top. We used to pay by credit card because we don't like carrying cash but we have learned not to do that, primarily so the server actually gets their tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, with tipping, I'm torn between supporting a bad policy of under paying workers by tipping, and depriving workers by not tipping.
      Back when I ate out, I would leave a cash tip, and pay the bill with a credit card. I just wanted the tip to go into the server's pocket, because I was suspicious about whether restaurants would hand it over.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!