Thursday, April 11, 2024

Misfits, cabbages, kings, no, queen

 Misfits arrived 




with one small hiccup, one egg broken, which resulted in a refund of the dozen. There doesn't seem to be a way to refund just the damaged one.

The unboxing setup isn't on the counter, which was occupied by the makings of spaghetti, but crowded onto the little island.

Lunch was in the works  on the counter 

Simple sauce, diced tomatoes, fresh basil, chili powder, grated Parmesan 


Two meals' worth of this radiator-shaped pasta.

And the cabbage, some of it, even a small head is a lot, will become a cabbage casserole, a new venture for me,  worth a try.


This is only half of it; you see the other half draining, to be chopped and frozen.

And the current artwork is moving along. I switched to 26 gauge steel wire for this piece, not wanting it to be too conspicuous.


I threaded it around the edges with a couple of extra threads in the body of it, to support the shape.


I like very much how the yarn can take on new shapes, and sit up unsupported.

So here's a trial of related pieces.


This changed several times before I took the photo, and will probably change more before it's done. The pieces are still all separated. More playtime will happen.

I'm thinking of another copper wire piece to add. We'll see.

Speaking of seeing, remember these daffodils in bud a couple of days ago 


Here they are this morning 


Sweet smelling, just lovely. My neighbor came running over to admire them and catch up.  She and Gary want to help me separate iris. 

Lots of luck. We'll need a chainsaw to get through them! They got ahead of me and haven't flowered in years. They don't when they get crowded and the pachysandra covers the rhizomes. They like to be exposed to light and air. 

Happy day everyone, it's good to know when roots should be preserved and when you have to cut em off.

And here's a gift to give yourself. Go here 


Brunello Creatini's YouTube channel, to hear this star operatic soprano  still performing, wonderfully, at 96. 

It's not "good, considering"! It's good at any age. Such breath control, range, strength, beautiful tone and passion. Just go there.  Squillo in action. 





39 comments:

  1. Looks like a good haul today. You’ll be enjoying lots of yummy food.
    I love the spiral pasta. Holds the sauce beautifully
    Enjoy being busy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's radiator shaped, a block with cutouts like a radiator. Interesting in your mouth.

      Delete
  2. I'm enjoying your wire and yarn weavings, Liz. And I'm impressed with how long your daffodils are lasting. Ours bloomed for a very long time (seems a month or more), but the flowers all finally died off last week. I felt sad about it even though it seemed overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re cabbage: Look up any receipe for Austrian Krautfleckerl, it is really more than the sum of its parts. Thought you might enjoy the combo of pasta and cabbage ...
    Guten Appetit aus der Schweiz
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here's a receipe: https://www.wien.info/en/dine-drink/viennese-cuisine/recipes/noodle-and-vegetable-dishes/krautfleckerl-350116
    enjoy a

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cabbage casserole sounds interesting. I like raw cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great that they make good (better) on a broken egg. I like the lighter weight wire even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They instantly credit any item reported as missing, damaged, etc, no problem. And they send only what's ordered, no substitutions, which I like.

      Delete
  7. I am sure they don’t have a barcode for a single egg. That’s why they need to refund the carton. Automation, doncha know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. That's why there's waste at the local supermarket. They barcode for one package, so eggs can't be rearranged to accommodate broken ones. You can't assemble a dozen good ones because they can't process it. I got tired of being unable to get a clean dozen from a local store which often had a broken one in many packages. I wasn't buying broken ones to please the checkout!

      Delete
  8. There is a knot of iris rhizomes around that boulder in the park. I will have to see if they do anything, but I suspect they won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you sneakily separate them, they might!

      Delete
  9. Cabbage is such a versatile vegetable and one can get lots of meals out of one. My husband likes the cabbage roll casserole I make; the taste of cabbage rolls without the boiling of the whole cabbage to remove the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cabbage rolls give me vivid dreams, so I'll see if this casserole does the same.

      Delete
  10. Haven't made a cabbage casserole in years, but I find that white cabbage lasts ages in the fridge (even cut) if I just put it in a brown paper bag - no need to freeze it and turn it to mush in the process. The wire woven pieces are taking on interesting 3D forms. (Will have to listen to the singer at home - no sound available on the work computer set up).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do listen to her when you get the chance. Her Panis Angelicus is wonderful.

      Delete
  11. I found that video of Magda Olivero singing -- so beautiful, her voice unaffected by age and the passage of time! Made my day, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you followed up. She took a long break in mid career, and I think it preserved her vocal cords. My unsupported theory.

      Delete
  12. Nice Misfits box! I always forget how much I like cabbage. I will be interested to see what a cabbage casserole looks like.
    It is fun to see that you can re-shape and re-arrange your wire and yarn artworks. Playtime indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art is serious, but not solemn! It's the best play.
      You'll see the cabbage casserole, cabberole, no escape.

      Delete
  13. I like that your metal-incorporated amalgams don't have to be static! I use cabbage leaves in a salad just like I would a lettuce leaf, usually with dressing that has some citrus juice and toasted sesame oil for an Asian flair. I'm not usually a big fan of cooked cabbage, but always willing to give it a try. Looking forward to your casserole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had cooked cabbage in years, so I'll be interested to see how I like this.

      Delete
  14. I need to plant daffodils. I also need to thin iris. Except for coleslaw I don't like cabbage. That doesn't mean I don't want to see the finished product, though! I am enjoying the look of this new art project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like coleslaw. Even my sister's homemade from scratch, supposedly very good. The combo isn't for me. We'll see how the cabbarole goes.
      The art is developing okay. At this point it needs lightening up with more wire, more air.

      Delete
  15. your pin weavings with wire remind me of Carol Milne's work, cast glass artist. https://www.carolmilne.com/knittingwithneedles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I've seen her work, lost wax method. I'll look her up.

      Delete
  16. Your lunch looks really good. And thank you so much for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lunch sound good.
    I started thinning my irises last year and will do more when I can get out in the gardens
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wire weavings, who knew?! Very cool.
    Now I'm hungry for radiator pasta and cabbage casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cabbage casserole. Sounds like something my Polish grandmother in law would make.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am intrigued by your wire weaving.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Resident Chef makes a cabbage casserole that has hamburger included in it. Very good, but he doesn't make it often, choosing instead to most often make coleslaw.
    Very cool that Misfits would refund the price of the dozen eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misfits is excellent at making things right, almost instantly. There was also a freebie in this box, one of those points deals, a can with a small dent. I alerted them, said you don't owe me, but you need to know. They promptly refunded me as if I'd paid full price, with a note.
      I don't like coleslaw at all, so it's never around here.

      Delete
  22. Wow, refunded an entire dozen. That's cool. Love the gauge you went with. I look forward to getting back to yarn work when we move. Right now, I cannot fit not one more hobby in our current space. Happy Weekend. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!