Monday, April 29, 2024

Afternoon on the patio, season opener

The temp suddenly went from below freezing to 80°f, not unusual for NJ April, at least no blizzard this year.

So I had a wonderful patio afternoon of tea and stitching and reading my cosy mystery, quite a body count, and listening to woodpeckers working hard, rattling away,  also pecking nest sites. Probably the flickers I saw nearby. Leaves on the old trees soaring above the roofs that  spring bright green.



I'd taken a walk, no biting insects, this is a blessed time. Just a couple of wild golf balls rattling off the trees near me.

And I had a chat with Billy The Pup, who's growing up to be a great big dog, who now chews his toy, not Gary's sneakers 



You lookin at me?

This morning I spent cooking from Yeung Man Cooking on YouTube, and recommend him for, aside from good food, the ASMR of a calm, lovely guy, explaining quietly, no drama, great contrast with a lot of excitable presenters.

Today it was 



He used basmati rice and I had only white jasmine, but it was okay. I remembered to put the lentils in to soak the night before. 

And here's some of the process. It's worth cutting the ingredients finely, to spread the flavor better.



Recipe wanted ground coriander, and I had only coriander seeds, so I ground them with my heavier rolling pin, and that worked. Easier than my tiny mortar and pestle.

And this really came out well. Every forkful was a bit different with sparks of the various spices and ginger and garlic. There's tomato, too, and I think I'll add more to my next helpings, because it was a great contrast.


It also made a lot. Another bowl in the fridge, three more helpings in the freezer. It's the kind of recipe to make when you have time and the right outlook for chopping and adding and several stages. I even remembered to rinse the rice. 

And I'm about to embark on Wilma's recommendation 

It's relevant to the 1619 Project, another part of the black history of the US, the many years of migration north in (a vain) search of a better life.  It's another of those books that may be hard reading but I owe it.

Can't end on a sad note, so

Happy day everyone, tend to whatever sheep or maybe ship,  you're tending today! Which reminds me I may have neglected to give you a couple of haggard Hawks puzzle answers. Catching up, just in case

MOONLIGHT

FURLONG




38 comments:

  1. The only rice we ever use is basmati and it seems to work for pretty much everything we cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I use jasmine! My palate isn't fine enough to detect much difference between rice types.

      Delete
  2. It's nice to listen to a calm presenter. So many feel they have to relate their life story before they get down to the nitty-gritty, and I find excessive 'enthusiasm' wearying and unconvincing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this guy doesn't get your stomach in a knot. To the drama queens I always want to say calm down, honey, it's only dinner.

      Delete
  3. Oh, the dessert isle! The rice dish looks and sounds delicious. Feel free to fly over and make it for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was almost summer-like yesterday. We bundled up more than necessary for our walk and were too hot, But we're back to April-normal today, including rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get caught over dressed for sudden warm days, too.

      Delete
  5. your stitching is looking very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so beautiful on the patio. We are in the spring grey for a while yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely time, trees moving gently, no biting critters.

      Delete
  7. I've heard good things about the Wilkerson book. And yes! Hooray for warm weather at long last! Time to read outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good, just being out. Before it gets too hot.

      Delete
  8. That dessert island is my idea of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great? I studied it a while to identify the desserts.

      Delete
  9. Dessert Island!! Your stitching is really nice, I like it. We had steady rain all day yesterday. It's glooming at the moment. I like rice but use it sparingly because it's so high on the glycemic index. The lentils would help counter that, though. I do use a lot of wild rice, which isn't actually rice. A patio day sounds splendid. Billy grew up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Will Yeung's foods are pretty balanced, using a great selection of spices. I don't eat a lot of rice, but yes, it's usually balanced by beans and lentils.

      Delete
  10. That looks like a really good recipe.
    I am almost to the end of my second reading of "James" and I am not at all sorry I started reading it again right after I finished it the first time. I am picking up and retaining more than I got from the first reading. I'm also listening to another of his books after just finishing yet ANOTHER. I dreamed about them last night. There is so much within them and he is such a talented author and weaves the horrors and the truths into the fabric of the whole and I just can't recommend him enough. I've never read The Warmth Of Other Suns but perhaps it is time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a terrific book recommendation, thank you. I'm in a very long waitlist for him, so I guess a lot of people agree.

      Delete
    2. He's written a LOT of books.

      Delete
    3. They're not in my library!

      Delete
  11. Great to have patio and reading time. Weather is delightful here this morning. Cute little dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's quite a character. Such a beauty in movement.

      Delete
  12. Barbara: That was a wonderful book, insightful and entertaining both. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people agree with you, very well received.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I'm always happy to be there. Shady in the afternoon when I want to sit out.

      Delete
  14. Ohhh I could do with some 80° weather. Billy the pup is gorgeous. There are times I wish we had a dog again. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's beautiful, and I'm just as glad she lives next door rather than here. Labor intensive.

      Delete
  15. Spring is a lovely time to be outside. Not too hot as yet and the world is coming alive after the long sleep of winter
    I’d love to be on a dessert island right now. I’ve been fasting for 24 hours and doing the dreaded prep for a colonoscopy today. I’m starving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not good timing to see a dessert island! Good luck with the test.

      Delete
  16. Yesterday was in the sixties, today was eighty. Temps will remain warm all week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Doesn't everything seem better when the sun shines, we've had some warm afternoons too and sat outside.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Homemade goodness for the win. Great backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the update on Billy The Pup. So cute!
    I cooked lentils once and there was such a hue and cry and downright revolt from the men in my family that it was the last time they've been on the menu. I'm sure there are better ways to cook them that would be good but just the mention of them brings up the 'remember when Mom screwed up' in my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're not the chief cook now, no danger there. This recipe is in fact very good!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!