Thursday, April 25, 2024

Tab and slot book, ANZAC Day

Thursday is ANZAC DAY, which I mark every year. If you're not familiar with the tragedy of the Dardanelles in WW1, and the blunders which cost so many young Australian and New Zealand lives, Google is your friend. Today we honor all the women and men in combat, and veterans.

As a mom I make ANZAC biscuits (cookies in north America) and give them to friends to honor that courage. They're based on the cookies that ANZAC moms sent to their sons in combat. They were a taste of home, they shipped well, long voyage in those days.

I omit the coconut the authentic ones had, and use honey because golden syrup isn't available here. But they're still good 



Chewy, good stuff 

I also got on with my fabric book, making the wall hanging into a tab and slot deal. 



Top page shows tab, meaning slits top and bottom, bottom one slot, which enables the tab page to slide through and sit with tab and slot working together .

Next shows the spine, all the pages seated.

Here I'm turning the pages 





This was a nice experience. I know how it works now 

Then I went on to new stitching, prepped unbleached muslin for upcoming book, ironed it into sections without cutting.

I also made a cool discovery. I accidentally made indentations into the muslin when stray threads got ironed in, leaving tracks.

This is a great way to plan a design without markings 

So I put down a piece of twine and ironed over it. One side makes an indentation, the other side an embossment.





So I embarked on a new stitching, why not, using the indentation as a channel to lay the thread I couched down. .

Just random stitching, trala. Really enjoying this.  This might end as another slot and tab, don't know yet. It might have some Indian quilt techniques. Maybe beading, I feel an attack of beading coming on.

I do know that Ann Wood, check her website,  is a model teacher of process.

Gary has been busy helping a neighbor dig her garden last couple of days so I haven't seen him other than a flying visit to ask me about ants on a houseplant cactus! 

Happy day everyone, and be sure to spare a thought for everyone in combat of all kinds right now and their families. 







31 comments:

  1. Your stitching might be random but still beautiful! And you've made me fancy some Anzac biscuits now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty good, the biscuits, that is. The stitching is fun.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for mentioning the blunders during WWI. It was an absolute disgrace as our joint forces were mown down while undertaking a task that was impossible and it was known to be impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Important to commemorate and you do it well. Your accidental creativity is genius. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newfoundlanders fought in Gallipoli during WW1 as well. The losses and aftermath for the survivors were felt for decades afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a disaster start to finish. Commanded by Winston Churchill, against all advice from experienced military advisers.

      Delete
  5. And the band played waltzing Matilda. This is the version that I know best. John McDermott. https://youtu.be/_RsKhOk7NxI?si=527ZKtERh3Sacl61

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His rendition of the Bogle version. I can't get through it, always too sad.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for honoring those who fought and were lost, and those who loved them ! Your creativity just seems to flow with thread and fabric, into one form or another, but all seem so beautiful. Yes, I am also praying for all those suffering in the armed conflicts of these sad days...in my own daily practice of invoking peace on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This kind of day it seems more than ever important to make whatever our art is, to preserve civilization from destruction.

      Delete
  7. Your little book is a joy. Your fingers are as nimble as your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the rando stitches!!!!! Glad the cookies were good to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your erstwhile hanging makes a fabulous fabric book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do know about that disaster. You certainly are adept at the fine stitching. Those cookies look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stitching is okay, A bit out of practice. But the cookies are fine.

      Delete
  11. I would replace Golden Syrup with Karo Light Syrup, just as I replace Karo Dark Syrup with Treacle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. I use what I have in the house, me. And they're excellent.

      Delete
  12. I remember seeing the Mel Gibson movie "Gallipoli" years ago. I think that's when I first heard about the Dardanelles. I think you've written about these cookies when you made them in the past...? I seem to remember that, but I might be making it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made them and blogged about it before, you're remembering right.

      Delete
  13. Thank you Liz for your annual acknowledgement of the fallen and ANZAC Day. Long may we avoid another conflict like either of the World Wars, although things are pretty horrific in parts of the world at the moment. Why can't people just get along?

    The biscuits certainly are favourites downunder. Often discussions on who bakes the best ones.

    Loving your cooking and stitching/weaving/general artiness as always. I do read your blog most days but it's usually when I have a break at work but am not logged in to my account, so comments are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to see you in here, Marianne. I hope you're doing well. I think of you often, not just around this time.

      Delete
  14. I just sorted through my beads (and rehoming a bunch). I started to imagine some embroidery work I might make use of some of my remaining beads with. And here you are ready to do just that. You are always inspiring. And the impression/embossing inspiration for your embroidery. It's just so fun to see your brain at work. And your fingers following suit. And your tab and slot book! A couple of years ago I watched a gal (video) make one as preparation for creating an embroidery sampler book. I found the instructions confusing and I concluded it was way too much trouble. And here you've gone and done it! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed following along. Maybe I'll take the book apart to show the order of assembling it. That's the confusing bit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seeing your 'accidental' stitching pattern with thread made me think of the paintings that people are doing involving dipping string in paint and then laying it between book pages and then pulling it out leaving a really interesting design on the paper. Poor descriptive skills on my part, but hopefully you get the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know of that technique, and I think you're right, there's a similarity in the randomness

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!