Monday, April 22, 2024

Manicure set, Elizabeth of York

Speaking of treasured possessions, here's my manicure set, a present from Handsome Partner well over 60 years ago and still in use. Quality. One little tool is missing, probably somewhere in the bathroom closet where I keep the set. 

The buffer, padded kid, is very good for nail health because it massages the nails and the underlying circulation.  




I think of him every time I use the set, remembering the care he took of his own nails. He was so grateful, after he lost the use of his hands and feet, that I did his nail care for him. 

I'd catch him admiring his manicured nails, when he thought he was alone.  A small task for me to do,  but vital for his spirits. He wasn't a vain man, but he respected self care.

I've been reading several books in tandem and here's a rundown:

The Housekeeper and the Professor is brilliant, touching, the poetry of math and human connection in unlikely places, very worth reading. I listened to it, exactly the right Japanese voice narrating .

Dinner Ladies was light and sweet and a good contrast to my other reading. A cosy mystery, it's about an old lesbian couple of dinner ladies who find themselves investigating a murder.  It's also funny.

Huge contrast to the grim reality of the 1619 Project, about the importation of African people into slavery starting then and the continuing struggle to establish their rights. 

It's hard reading which I feel obliged to do, as a white immigrant, though from a family here in the 1850s, who had no idea of the privilege she stepped into, even when things were tough. Because never have any of my trials been caused nor made harder, by my skin color. 

I'm in an online book group discussing this with mainly black readers, and I listen more than I talk, unless called on, or unless I have some different insight because of my different background. I'm definitely getting an education in this group, who are exquisitely polite to me, inclusive, walking the walk.

Then there's Elizabeth of York, who was at the confluence of the Plantagenets and the Tudors, and very confusing it is. 

Practically every woman seems to be named Elizabeth or Anne or Mary, the men's limited first names equally confusing. Also everyone has a title and a completely different family name. And they're all intermarried. And the women get new titles when they marry. There's a complicated chart at the beginning of the book explaining these relationships, and I got lost there, too.

It's like a Russian novel set in 15th century England. And Scotland. And France. And Burgundy. And small children being betrothed to unite kingdoms and territories. And powerful people suddenly being murdered because they said the wrong thing. 

I'm persevering because I like Alison Weir's scholarship and writing style.  I don't think I have a true historian's outlook on this period.

The oat crackers, toasted to crisp them back  up, they went a bit soft overnight, went well with the soup. And the weather is bright and cool, lovely for walking. 

And in the course of following Marion's World, I found a great construction idea for a fabric book. One thing led to another and that wall hanging I stitched a while back, and haven't been too satisfied with, is about to be cut up for a new life.


I'm probably going to use the sashiko stitched stiffened pieces for the book cover and use the appliqued sections as some of the pages. 

I think more embroidery will happen. I do like to have a bit of stitching around, among other projects. I may not use the same construction, devised originally by Ann Wood, but that's the springboard.

So all's well, all manner of things, even.

Happy Passover to blogistas who observe. 



29 comments:

  1. Some very pretty colors and designs there...wishing you happy walks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the book will be lovely and look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read "The Warmth of Other Suns"? It is an historical accounting of the great migration of Black Americans out of the south and into the rest of the US from 1915 to 1970. Very well-written, but hard reading and eye-opening for this child of the south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reference. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I remember when manicure sets were all the rage as gifts for girls and women. I had a couple of them over the years. Wasted on me, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes they were given to young girls to encourage them to stop biting their nails.

      Delete
  5. Well manicured nails is a confidence booster. Lovely memory and gift.

    In first grade school there was a chart for the teacher to put a colored star on if our hands, nails, face, ears clean, and clothes tidy. If such a thing was done today, then there'd be parents suing the school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect teachers would be up in arms, too, at being used as hygiene monitors!

      Delete
  6. You've reminded me, I had one of those manicure sets several years ago. Lost in one of the moves, no doubt.
    Thanks for the book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the book reviews - a good balance. I envy you having such a group discussing the 1619 Project - perspectives unavailable to those of us born to white privilege.

    It will be interesting to see where re-thinking the leaf blocks takes you.

    Nice memories stirred by that manicure kit.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a privilege to be in that discussion group.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely glimpse into your relationship with Handsome Partner.
    How funny, I am reading the Dinner Lady book right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know how you like it. I'm onto another in the series.

      Delete
  9. I love that you still have that elegant manicure set. My mother had one exactly like it. I immediately recognized the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if she was given it as a present, too?

      Delete
  10. I wonder if they even still make the manicure sets? Of course I remember them well. I may have even had one. I seem to recall a green leather one...
    I just looked them up and they definitely DO still make them. Some from Germany quite pricey.
    As I am reading these Percival Everett books I am thinking that you would enjoy them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were pretty pricey back then, too, considering the workmanship and materials. I've been on the waiting list for Everett for months, checked yesterday, still months to go! A pleasure delayed.

      Delete
  11. That is a quality kit to have been used and still in great condition after 60 years. I was given one when I was maybe 13. It's long gone. I'll be interested in what you do with the wall hanging. These things are like a foreign language to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a good set. Handsome partner never skimped on me. Watch this space for the stitching progress.

      Delete
  12. You do good reading. I am doing junk mysteries. No, they're not junk, just not high class lit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd put The Dinner Lady Detectives into the junk but fun category.

      Delete
  13. Oh bummer. Did I end up in Spam again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing currently in spam. I check it a lot because some commenters always get in it!

      Delete
  14. I remember having a manicure set when I was in my teens and thinking it was really special. I felt so grown up!
    I admire your willingness to cut up a perfectly good piece of art and reinvent it.
    Re books - just finished reading 'The Book of Lost Names' and I highly recommend it. It's one of those eye-opening books that might be difficult to read in some respects and yet hugely educational about that period in history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the book suggestion. Yes, cutting up art yo improve it happens around here.

      Delete
  15. I had the same name issue doing genealogy where everyone was named the same -- and if a kid died, the next one was named the same (which was probably the father's name and the cousin's, too!) It sounds good if you can suss it out. I like how Hilary Mantel always put a cast of characters in the front of her Cromwell trilogy -- it kept me on track!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cast of characters, like a Russian novel. She does give a family tree, but it's still totally confusing.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!