Monday, April 22, 2024

Soup, crackers, yogurt

I finally got around to making the soup I've been thinking about. 

Here's why, soup weather 

So I got out the bag of stock makings from the freezer, mostly cilantro and parsley stems, and decided to make a custom stock. This just means I added some Worcestershire sauce into it to simmer.

Then, the stock now aromatically set up, I did the usual onion, garlic, salt, bit of chili powder base and made cream of celery, cabbage, dandelion greens soup. 




A sprig of curry leaves starts to add flavor as soon as it touches the hot soup.  So this was lunch, with a toasted mini naan and cheddar cheese.

Then I was idly thinking about making yogurt because I'm out, and found other ideas than my usual cow's milk. There's a chickpea version. And an oat version. I could have done either and decided oat would be good to try.

Made oat "milk" in the blender then strained it to keep out the fibrous part. This is what the recipe lady said to do. I started with the usual squeeze it in a cotton cloth, like making paneer, but had a little mishap.

This resulted in a backfire of oat slurry over the cook, the counter, the sink etc.   So I regrouped and just strained it through a fine strainer. 

Pro tip:if you've got a small lake of oat slurry on a clean counter, and you're alone in the kitchen,  you can push it back into your container using your handy bench scraper. You're welcome.



Then bring the strained stuff to the boil then let it cool before adding starter, here some of the last of the current yogurt. This version gets really thick and creamy as it cools, so I'm hopeful. 

I'll let you know tomorrow how it worked.

Late addition, here's my breakfast oat yogurt with honey. Pretty good.



However, this left me with a bowl of the fibrous part that I'd strained out. And I thought, crackers? Haven't made them for ages, but I often fancy crackers with soup or cheese.

So I checked recipes and yes, you can make this into crackers. At least the recipes pretty much got me to where I was with the bowl of stuff, so I improvised after that.

Pinch baking powder, added flour to make it dough-like and rollable , dried basil bits, dried thyme bits, all mixed into dough, rolled out, scored into sort of squares, coarse seasalt pressed into the surface, and black pepper.

Few minutes in a hot oven, 400°f



Break them apart on the scored lines.  Crackers, now in an airtight tin.  What you might call collateral crackers. Or one damn recipe after another crackers. They're pretty good.  And my frugal heart loves the good food with nothing wasted aspect of all the cooking today.

I did walk today but it was grey and cold, not interesting enough for pictures, and I was glum.

The opposite of glum, though, are the nice people emailing with interest in a little bit of art in their mail. Most of the pieces are small. So I'll be getting myself organized to pick out what I think they'll like and send it off. There's plenty, if you came in late.  This is fun. My work travels more than I do.

Happy day, everyone! Soup if it's soup weather.

Ukraine is so happy we came through, finally.  The Pentagon,its act together, says weapons are ready to ship within a week of POTUS'  signature. P***n may be wondering what happened to his widgets in Congress. Good.








26 comments:

  1. I love that you played! I've seen files strain the oats. I skip that. Same with other plant milks. I personally don't need to strain because my blender mixes well. And, I feel like even with my old blender, I still never strained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if that was a necessary step. I guess it is if I want crackers!

      Delete
    2. I think so many are used to seeing others use the bag. When really, if I just all the high-speed blender the time to do the job, it works well. Then sometimes if I want cashew milk, I just plop some cashew butter and water in the blender and bliz. Works great. No waste. True on the crackers. Always good to use the bits.

      Delete
  2. Amazing, Boud. You never cease to bring something new to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what happens when you get tired of something!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. This was certainly easier than making from scratch as I've done in the past.

      Delete
  4. Marie is right- you never cease to bring something new to the table.
    Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let us know how the oat yogurt turns out and if tastes "yogurty". Collateral oat crackers are not a bad thing! I plan to make yogurt tomorrow. I use powdered milk mixed up double strength and it it turns out super thick (like cream cheese) with no straining. I use a slow cooker as a water bath, taking care to turn it off periodically so it doesn't overheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My milk yogurt does that, because like you, I add in extra powder. I don't strain milk yogurt, but making from oats does involve fiber. And this morning it tasted tangy and oaty, different from milk but very good.

      Delete
  6. Another day of adventure in the kitchen! I have never made crackers, that looks good. I guess it's better late than never for Congress to get it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought I'd live to make some food you hadn't! I do like crackers with soup or cheese or both, when I remember to make them.

      Delete
  7. You would be the best person in the commune of waste not want not! I vote for your leadership!! Also I failed to comment on your wire weavings that would be so much fun to employ in stop - go- animation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all set for the apocalypse! And yes, that wire weaving would be a lot of fun in animation. Great idea.

      Delete
  8. I am so impressed with your culinary ingenuity, slurry explosion notwithstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was just between us! It did work out okay though.

      Delete
  9. We buy soup in tins. Should we be ashamed?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The yogurt looks like a particularly smooth porridge. Did it taste like porridge?
    You did very well to keep your cool and to make all that with what you had. Clever clogs you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes tangy like yogurt. There's an oaty flavor but it's not like oatmeal. It's worth trying. Long time since I heard anyone say clever clogs!! :)

      Delete
  11. I had no idea that oatmilk or other alternative milks would 'set up' when inoculated with a yogurt starter. It blows my mind. And the collateral crackers. Hah - clever clogs, indeed!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was intrigued by this different yogurt, too. I don't know why I had only thought of cows milk before. It does seem to work. And oat yogurt is a great breakfast food

      Delete
  12. Every blog that I click today seems to be reporting crap weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have never tried making our own yogurt but really should. As it is our fridge is filled with kefir and sourdough and there isn't much space for any additional extras. I have a sensitivity to milk but seem to be able to drink kefir without any ill effects and RC uses it to make cheese and anywhere that calls for sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who can't take milk sometimes find they can take it fermented into yogurt. Something to do with enzymes, I'm guessing.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!