Sunday, April 7, 2024

101 ways to cook sweet potato and other fun stuff

Yesterday was about peace through cooking, since I needed to calm down from the various excitements of the week.

I made the usual Big Batch of Yogurt, then addressed the sweet potatoes you saw in my Misfits box this week.

First up a sweet potato cranberry bread 



You see the texture is firmer than if I'd used bananas, and very good. I'll toast and butter a slice for breakfast. Several pieces went to Gary whose two grandchildren are with him this weekend. 

He and granddaughter K visited, and she accepted an artist portfolio to keep her own artwork in, with a box of sweet potato bread. 

Later she brought her brother over because I'd offered him an artist book too, which he picked out and thanked me with a hug. He towers over me now, at twelve.

Sister,  K, seized the chance to ask about another artist book of handmade paper and beads. I think it was the one she really wanted, but didn't like to ask for earlier! So it went with her, and this was the absolutely best form of winnowing. 

Back to sweet potatoes. I made mini tortillas from sweet potato and chickpea flour.  One medium sweet potato which you saw above in the bread setup, and a cup of chickpea flour, mixed, kneaded 



It rests like this for an hour, then I made it into a sort of log, cut it  into six pieces, rolled into balls, then slapped, old lady style, between my hands into flat mini tortilla shapes




Five are in the freezer, one cooked, see the nice blistering! 


And it went well with the butternut carrot spicy cream soup. The other 99 sweet potato ideas yet to come.

And today I spent a bit of time with this book you saw earlier 

It's a great survey of fashion, social expectations, and some surprising things.

Linda and Mary and I will appreciate this pedlar doll and her wares

Note the red cloak, country outdoor wear of all classes and ages of women in the regency period.

And remember the wet shirt Colin Firth scene in the best evah production of Pride and prejudice?

Okay, here is the style, made in linen with a muslin neck frill. Now here's the surprise, it's all made with rectangles! Like this 

Not at all the fiendish shaping I'd thought. This explains how most people with pretty ordinary practiced stitching skills, like Jane and Cassandra Austen, could routinely stitch shirts for male relatives. 

I did watch this wonderful movie, again, speaking of Colin Firth (!) who stars


I'm devoted to the book and try to get everyone to read it. And it's one of the few movies that truly understands and presents the novel. It's on YouTube. 

Meanwhile I did some weaving experiments, and here's a unit partly woven, partly manipulated, plus a handspun silk yarn weaving. I'll make more, and I think I'll weave wire into the yarn square.

This is learner stuff 


 
Hand in picture for size 


We'll see how this goes. It's such a good feeling to make things. 

This was a busier day than I'd realized! Oh, and you did get the Haggard Hawks puzzle?

FURLONG 

And I'll leave you with this 


Happy day, everyone, enjoy whatever your day's about.





29 comments:

  1. That sweet potato cranberry bread is something I would devour. I may surprise everyone one day and make it myself! Also, the small weaving to start out is really intriguing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You keep edging nearer to, shock, cooking!

      Delete
  2. Who could ever forget Colin Firth's wet shirt scene, lol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember when Bridget Jones friends cue it up to cheer her in the depths of misery? Too good, one movie referencing another!

      Delete
  3. I had no inkling of the pattern for that shirt. Makes perfect sense though as you say! I learn something new from you every day, Boud. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was news to me too! And I may try it.

      Delete
  4. I read that book! Very good. The bread is something I would like. The weaving is looking good, I'm happy you are happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very happy yet with the weaving, just tolerating my beginner's ineptitude at the moment. The bread is pretty good.

      Delete
  5. At the end of last year's garden I dug up sweet potatoes what will forever grow there because I planted them ONCE. They've been in a dark and dry place for months and last night I peeled and sliced some and made air-fried sweet potato fries. They are good, too. It felt good to be using some of them. Perhaps I should make some bread with some of them.
    That silk and wire weaving is really nice. And yes- I LOVE the peddler doll and her wares. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guessed right about the doll! Waiting for Linda to come in now.
      Sweet potato is like the Swiss Army knife of vegetables. The tortilla was great.

      Delete
  6. I am not a fan of sweet potatoes, except in a recipe for soup that I have. It involves roasting the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roasted vegetables are great in soup, good idea. Noted.

      Delete
  7. all my creative endeavors these days are planting and nurturing, getting back into growing food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear how you're sharing art things you're ready to pass along to the younger generation! So glad K asked for what she wished to have. Love sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is as happy as I've ever been about the art giving. And about K stepping up for what she really liked. Her taste is good.

      Delete
  9. I do the same. I make tortilla bread only in cast iron and on the hob and I bake withe yams/sweet potatoes all the time. Excellent in brownies. Excellent I say, excellent. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you do this too. I really like these latest tortillas.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, been doing it for years. Works great in so many things. I instant pot them and store them in the fridge. If I don't use them in time, the puppy gets them. They also work great in homemade dog treats. Happy Cooking!

      Delete
  10. Your very creative in the kitchen. I love that. And I absolutely love Colin firth. If he’s in a movie I watch it.
    I’m glad you were able to give young artists a few supplies to help them on their journey. Best winnowing ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I gave were artist books -- completed artworks. Probably the first they've ever had. They were pretty happy, their grand pop too!
      Colin Firth was just lovely!

      Delete
  11. Garments were amazingly simple, in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was skilful tailoring too, but things like shirts for ordinary use were pretty simple.

      Delete
  12. That is a very interesting pattern for the shirt. I guess it makes sense to keep things as simple as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that era, it was hand sewing, better to keep it straight lines. The fabric was beautiful though.

      Delete
  13. They sound like lovely children. We had - or rather it was mostly me who had - a walnut and cranberry loaf from M&S this weekend. Ordinary brown flour I think but delicious. I guess sweet potato bread is more like banana bread than bread bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of these kids! Yes, sweet potato bread is more like cake, texture and all. I have been having it toasted with Irish butter spread on, five star.

      Delete
  14. I like the shirt pattern - makes good use of fabric which back in the day was a precious commodity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and very suited to home stitching. I don't think there were any leftover scraps.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!