Monday, April 15, 2024

Skirt happening, whitlow grass

That skirt I showed you yesterday at Marion's world? I found some cream unbleached muslin, cotton weight, the stuff I used for curtains,  and a skirt is under way.


That batik fabric hanging in the doorway might be another skirt, though I did make one last year from it. We'll see.

So long since I did any hand sewing, this was great. The skirt is an 18th century pattern, with slits at the sides so you can access the Lucy locket pocket that ties round your waist under your skirt. This pose is tricky because I was holding it together with one hand, having run out of pins.

You can make this pocket as big as you want, so it's good under a full skirt. Eighteenth century wearers were known to carry live chickens in these pockets, among other items, but I expect I'll just carry my keys and phone.

Here I've done unpressed pleats, just set by eye, front and back. Box pleat in the middle, knife pleats out to the sides.

The skirt has a waistband at the back which becomes a belt that ties at the front. The front waistband ties at the back. 

This is very easy to make, fits however you fasten it.  It's like two aprons joined at the sides.

I did French seams for the sides, and pre finished the edges of the side openings. This was accompanied by Ash learning to use her new vintage knitting machine. My YouTube watching doesn't get my undivided attention.

The front waistband is under way and tomorrow I'll do the back. After that, hem it and I have a new skirt.


Then I'll make a muslin Lucy locket pocket.

I did do other things, walked and found a natural bouquet, violets with, I think, whitlow grass, tiny white flowers new today. 


The woodpecker was busy chipping out her nest again, and a Carolina wren shouted for ages. We still have a couple of juncoes, usually gone by now, but this year staying longer. They're winter residents, usually October to March.

Home to a pot of tea on the patio, very warm today, in the 80s, no biting insects yet.

So I marked the change of season by summerizing the sofa. 

The warm winter throw is now in the laundry, and here's the white summer quilt in place. Hand stitched pillows. Posh.

Happy day everyone, however you observe whatever season you're up to where you live.

And here's a bit of Basho for wisteria lovers




38 comments:

  1. Aren't the miniature landscapes of violets and other tiny flowers enchanting?! Whitlow grass is one of our earliest signs of spring here, just about gone by already.

    I'm going to have to look up many of the terms you so blithely toss off in your skirt description. My many-many-decades-ago home ec education apparently did not stick (sorry, Mrs. Moore - you did your best!). The two-aprons-joined-at-the-sides explanation helped clarify it.

    Your local birds are bustling with spring activity - just like you!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a puzzle to explain this skirt without video, so I'm glad the two apron idea helped. I do like whitlow grass, so miniature, probably overlooked by most humans.

      Delete
  2. Had to stop and wonder why? at the live chicken in the pocket under the skirt. One way to keep warm maybe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you had to carry a live chicken several miles home from market on foot, it's a good way to do it. Also eggs often carried this way

      Delete
  3. You are most productive. A Lucy Locket pocket sounds so attractive - it's just the name, of course;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It explains how Lucy came to lose her pocket. It was a separate purse

      Delete
  4. I think walking around with a chicken under your skirt would cause you to get lots of strange glances from all who cross your path lol
    It’s looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays yes! In the eighteenth century and earlier, pockets were the shopping bags of their time.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful skirt and I love the idea of that Lucy locket pocket and would love it even more if you kept a chicken in it. You are a woman of unlimited talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've carried baby birds in my bra in the past, so what's a chicken between friends?

      Delete
    2. Ha! So have I! Mine were a pair of day-old parakeet chicks dropped off at a wildlife rehab center where I worked. They grew up well in their "incubator", were completely imprinted on humans, and eventually found the perfect home with an older woman who needed companionship.

      Chris from Boise

      Delete
  6. The skirt looks really good. I like the box pleats. I need to make some skirts one of these days, and plan to use Ash's historical adjustable waistband idea. I just need a chunk of time to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cool design because it's adjustable to your current size, which fluctuates in many women. Also you'll make a pocket to carry a little turkey?

      Delete
  7. Hari OM
    That is a very pretty skirt! Not to mention, practical. I mean, who knows when you may indeed require to transport a chook?!!! The season is very tardy here by me, but we have no choice but to take it as it comes. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pocket is a separate item, and as you say, who knows? In its time it was just a shopping bag.

      Delete
  8. Your sewing begs the question as to why anyone might want a live chicken in their pockets (unless a small one in need of warmth and protection perhaps).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the shopping bag of its time, good for many purposes. Easier to carry a live chicken home from market. Dinner.

      Delete
  9. I've never carried a live chicken in my pocket but I have certainly carried a lot of eggs. Overalls have the best pockets! I will admit that I have broken more than one egg in a pocket. Not a pleasant experience.
    That skirt is going to be a favorite, I bet! How clever the design is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would pay money to see you carry a live chicken in the pocket. You are always up to something new, you made the skirt fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your skirt looks lovely. The finish of the post with Basho is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The thought of a live chicken in one of those pockets is pretty funny, to me if not to the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds tend to be calm in a warm dark place, so I think they'd be fine in a pocket. Except for the noise of people laughing at them.

      Delete
  13. We’ve had two lovely days and we’ve been out enjoying them. I swear the mosquitoes are out already! The skirt will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this time of year, warm enough to sit out, and not be bitten. It won't last long.

      Delete
  14. I've been thinking about skirts and dresses lately. I haven't worn one is so long, I found myself wondering if people would be shocked to see me in a skirt if I wore one. I'm not even sure I own a skirt anymore. I do like the long, flowy styles that have become popular again. If I'm going to try wearing one, now would be the time. When short becomes the fashion again, I won't be entertaining the idea anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started last year, because it's so much cooler in summer, and I did get a few surprised comments. But I liked them a lot. I made them in the length I liked, figuring nobody was checking!

      Delete
  15. I really want you to try putting a chicken in those pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful skirt with a hidden pocket! All skirts, cardigans, trousers, dresses, should have pockets. Big pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pocket is a separate event, but you access it through these side slits. Watch this space! Yes, everything should have pockets, including gloves and scarves.

      Delete
  17. I don't think I've ever seen a skirt constructed quite like that (although I don't suppose I've been up close and personal enough with what people are wearing to know for sure). It would be a great skirt for travel because you could keep your passport, etc. well hidden.
    Haven't 'warmed up' the decor here yet - it's only 2C here right now and bitter wind so not warm enough to think about summer beyond hoping it comes soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an 18th century design, so you might not have seen it. So useful. And I imagine in its time a protection against pickpockets.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!