Tuesday, April 23, 2024

New friends, Textiles and Tea

This morning was about stitching my pages, just folded back wrong sides together, and stitched around with embroidery floss.  The slot and tab thing happens later.

Here are three pages, one side then the other 



Then the afternoon was Tuesday Knitting Group, and since school was out today, we had the pleasure of a little girl starting crochet, while her mother looked on. 

Another knitter taught her the start of Granny squares, and I found a sample of them in my bag, to show her, this notebook with gs covers, seen from both sides 


It's my purse notebook, made when I had a surfeit of embroidery floss.

And while the granny squarers worked, 


the mom and I had a great convo about Indian textiles. She knew quite a bit about the kawandi I'm interested in, also kantha stitching and Gujarati stitching, the kind with the tiny mirrors embedded, so we were very pleased with each other. She took a picture of her daughter with me before they left, very cool 

Other chat ranged over young people starting crafts, artists and musicians finding everything new all the time, how knitting is not work, it's entertainment, wire jewelry,  and more. Cheerful, no apocalyptic chat. 

Then home to Textiles and Tea with Demetrio Lazo,  a wonderful weaver and dyer from a long family tradition in Oaxaca, who teaches as well as makes massive rugs in traditional and newly creative designs. He has children one of whom is already committed to a career in weaving in the family business.

He teaches weaving and dyeing workshops, as well as producing sought-after work of his own








look at the size of this rug loom. He says its really a dance to manage the harnesses. A rug takes about three months.



This makes a person want to sign up and rush to Oaxaca to do this dyeing workshop. Natural and synthetic dyes, including cochineal and indigo, which grows in Mexico.





and the last entry here is a reference book he uses and approves. It's the one you see above, open on the loom to the design he's working on.

I have to cop to falling asleep and missing a bit, cup of tea in my hand, narrowly averting a spill, but it had been a busy day one way and another.

Then supper, which looked pretty good considering it consisted of odd things lying around. Sweet potato tortillas under a  bed of steamed spinach, poached egg on top, roast potatoes.


I find a great way to get potatoes tender inside and all crisp outside is to microwave them whole till tender, then dice and roast them in the toaster oven. Seasalt, black pepper, olive oil great.

Happy day, everyone, mine was wonderful. 





 


31 comments:

  1. What wonderful weaving in today's Textiles and Tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And such a happy and enthusiastic weaver. His work place is also a b and b!

      Delete
  2. Nice to see a little girl learning a craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so happy! When she left she told me she would carry her work in her backpack so she could continue it.

      Delete
  3. A lovely day! Great to encourage a young crocheter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand why you fell asleep with the cup in hand. You were busy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely day though. I didn't feel tired till I got home.

      Delete
  5. Your story about the little girl learning to crochet made me think about how you could advertise as a sort of grandmother who passes on all sorts of skills from needlework of all kinds to cooking. Does this sound crazy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the normal course of things. At least in my world of makers.

      Delete
  6. my grandmother taught me how to crochet. I'm pretty sure I made at least one granny square lap blanket but I have no idea what happened to it. worn out I suppose. all that dyed yarn looks luscious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the granny square is the universal experience of crocheters. I love the dyed stuff.

      Delete
  7. It had to be joyful to have the little girl amongst you! I like those rugs he weaved. Wow. I'll give your method for roasted potatoes a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, just happened schools were closed on the knitting group day. The library was packed with students.
      I think you'll like the potatoes. I usually use yellow ones.

      Delete
  8. I love that the mom brought her daughter and is passing along a love for creation to her. She looks to be about the same age as I was when I first discovered crochet. My aunt taught me the basic stitches and started me off on a huge (!) granny square afghan. It's a wonder that I still enjoyed crochet after finishing that thing which seemingly went on forever. That was my first introduction to crafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mom doesn't do any making, so she wanted to give her daughter the chance when it came up. Nice mom.

      Delete
  9. Marvellous rugs and dyed yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is heartening to see young 'uns learning the old crafts. There was a while there where handmade was shunned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indians in my experience are very supportive of crafts and the arts. It's good to see.

      Delete
  11. I love that you eat your leftovers together. I do the same thing. I too love the rug colors and the makings. I did not have good experiences trying to make things as a kid and was all thumbs when trying to knit so gave up...That mom is doing a wonderful thing for her daughter letting her learn from others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knitting's not for everyone. Sometimes giving up is the intelligent path. No point in pursuing something that doesn't reward the effort. I think you and I have similar approaches to food and cooking. I made my recent soup after reading your plans for matzoh ball soup. Was that part of your Passover food?

      Delete
  12. Lazo’s work is amazing! Oh to be able to spend months studying with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His workshops last ten days, at the end of which his students say they're exhausted, and he's still revved up. There's a program with Georgia State to study with him.

      Delete
  13. Mexico is a dangerous place these days. I think I’ll stay away!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you ever cook potatoes in the electric pressure cooker? We do and then let them cool. Next day from the fridge they go into cast iron for breakfast potatoes. So good. I don't have a microwave though that sounds like a neat way too! Love me some spuds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a pressure cooker. Vivid memories of my mother's blowing its cap and exploding stew all over the ceiling!

      Delete
    2. Yes, back in the day that was the thing, everyone stay out of the kitchen when that thing was on. This though, is an electric pressure cooker, multicooker, steamer and yoghurt maker. It does sorta explode from time to time however nothing like back in the day. Nothing on the ceiling. Lid stays on

      Delete
  15. That looks like a wonderful supper -- and I love your fabric book. The cover reminds me of when I made granny squares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a crochet cover. The fabric book happens elsewhere, also fun. I make a lot, hard to follow it all day to day!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!