Tuesday, April 2, 2024

April showers

 I expect the daffodils are liking this. The people not so much.


A couple of people have been wondering recently about online places for or by older women, where the news is not always front and center.

I like YouTube channels Sixty and Me, The Last Homely House, and Silver and Solo. They're calm, interesting and happy women, all very different, one in Switzerland, one in northern England, one in BC.

I do like media literacy, also funny younger women, so for that  there's Meredith Constant on YouTube and Tiktok, and I follow podcasts, such as Rachel Maddow, The Daily Fail, also hilarious self help, not the news, in How to be Fine.

There's also a lovely new YouTube channel by craftsman Anthony White, Ants Country Life, so peaceful watching a woodworker and craftsman rebuilding dry stone walls, and things like building sheds in his country location in Northumberland, UK. 

He also works on Kate's place, building a cabin in Last Homely Garden, another lovely channel, offshoot of the Last Homely House. There she works on all kinds of fiber crafts and quiet domestic occupations.

And there's always Atomic Shrimp, endlessly enterprising, making, gardening, experimenting, foraging, beach walking, cooking.

So there's some nice alternatives to gloom and doom and fear mongering. You're welcome!






28 comments:

  1. Be thankful it is rain we are in for snow starting tonight
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering this morning's adventures, I'm glad we didn't have to dig before we could attend to the car! See tomorrow for update.

      Delete
  2. We are having snow right now. You listed a lot of fine sounding choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll find something to enjoy there.

      Delete
  3. So much good stuff online if we know how to find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tends to get drowned out by the noisy stuff.

      Delete
  4. what I need is more time to just sit and read. that will come when summer hits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan when it's too hot for the garden

      Delete
  5. Our forecast looks a bit like that too, but every day we've had more sun than anyone expected. It's a nice problem to have!

    There is an awful lot of doom & gloom out there, that's for sure. I try not to make it the focus of my media consumption!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of deza designed to depress people's expectations, so I'm fighting back

      Delete
  6. Some interesting recommendations there, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Maybe you'll enjoy some of it.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for these alternatives to horror! I have copied and pasted your post into my file so I will not forget what I am looking for. You have made it so easy to find our way through the jungle. Thank you again, Captain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If April showers do indeed bring May flowers, next month is going to be a colorful one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be a jungle paradise. Or swimming, whichever comes first.

      Delete
  9. We could use some of that rain! I like your selection of listening and viewing matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be welcome to it. I've been wet three times today.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the great suggestions, Boud. Rachel Maddow is one of the few current affairs shows I record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's made some wonderful podcasts and written riveting books. Required reading.

      Delete
  11. I think we have the same weather. Less April showers and more April rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is raining, windy and miserable here on the 3rd, with snow coming -- apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Rachel Maddow. The others sound interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too love R.M. It's raining, windy and cold. Will stay like this until June. uhhhhg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dreamed about walking last night! Can't do it in this weather though.

      Delete
  15. I sometimes wish I had time to watch some of those sorts of programs but then I weight the time I would spend against the same amount of time spent being creative and you know which one wins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do artwork and crafts while I'm watching! Some of them could just as well be audio.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!