Saturday, April 20, 2024

Wire, weaving and winnowing

The day warmed up quite a bit, the sun came out and I walked. I love this time of year, trees just starting to leaf out, dogwood under way, the last of the daffodils, birds busy singing and making nests.




Home again I set to work playing with wire and weaving. I'd put away the wire, and not seeing it around let my mind create new ideas. 

I realized I can incorporate all my weaving into one little panoramic arrangement. So I threaded wire again and had a lot of fun turning and twisting the woven squares into new shapes. As you see. A couple of pieces, many iterations 















This grouping is beginning to suggest meaning. More to come.

Then I finally did one of those jobs you think about for weeks, then do in about ten minutes.

This time it was oiling the thirsty furniture. Only a few pieces need this treatment, after being vigorously damp dusted by my cleaning family. But the improvement is terrific.

Here's my teak mid century modern table feeling much better after oiling. 

I rubbed in safflower oil, with the grain, then across the grain, then with a terry cloth, and it looks so much better. Then the butcher block island, the oak coffee table, both lovely dumpster finds, and the top of the bedroom chest of drawers. 

About ten minutes every few months, doesn't seem like much to ask, and I usually wonder why it's so hard to get around to.

I might even get around to sharpening my knives at this rate. On the other hand, let's not get carried away here 

And I turned to another annoying thing, this downstairs drawer, where stitching stuff gets dumped, I mean put, or ends up, separated from its upstairs brethren.

 I emptied it out 

Here's finished things, miniature books with woven covers, stump work butterflies, sashiko book covers, bit of gold work, hardanger, woven spun paper.

Very few bits went into garbage. Mainly reels of thread and pins and needles and sewing tools were reunited, some of them upstairs with their friends.

So it wasn't exactly winnowing as much as reorganizing so things are findable.

It occurs to me to wonder if any blogistas would like an artist book, or a stump work butterfly or two, a little present? Cost of postage forces me to limit it to US blogistas. 

If you would like a little something, let me know and email me your address unless you know I already have it, and a little something will be in the mail to you soon.

The other books, not the miniatures from the drawer, are like this 

A couple of them are actually little portfolios with tiny paintings and drawings in them. 

I'd be happy to know they're in good hands. 

Happy day, everyone, share the wealth!



Photo AC 




41 comments:

  1. If I could find a carrier pigeon who knew where you lived I would send some currency for postage or you could attach something to said pigeon and it would fly back to me. The tyranny of distance strikes again.
    A good cleanout of drawers is very cathartic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I posted near midnight my time and all my first commenters are ahead of me by the clock. Distance.

      Delete
  2. I find at my age that it is very helpful to give these simple tasks as you describe a good deal of careful consideration for some time in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where I am with the knife sharpening. Doesn't do to rush into things.

      Delete
  3. Organising is just as good as winnowing Because it still clears space.
    I’m the same. I put off jobs only to find that once started they take little time to finish. I think it’s because I’d much rather keep crafting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably it. Always something more interesting to do, somehow.

      Delete
  4. Little jobs are so satisfying when finished but hang over your head like Damocles' sword.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the postponement makes it more satisfying? And if that's a great rationalizing I'm doing?

      Delete
  5. That spring time feeling really is in the air now - and it’s wonderful! We were out for a walk yesterday and two species of woodpecker were busy excavating nest holes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, woodpeckers busy here too, downies and flickers.

      Delete
  6. I am liking the way your wire weaving is developing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you got some takers for your treasures! Your woven tableau is intriguing. I can't wait to see what it becomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still early Sunday morning in the US. All commenters up to now are in easterly time zones!

      Delete
  8. I like the idea that putting something off is so it is more satisfying when completed! I'm happy you have found another creative expression in wire weaving. I personally like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased with that rationalization! And the wire weaving is doing OK.

      Delete
  9. I would happily accept anything from your stash of treasures but honestly, I have too much here as it is.
    I love the way your satisfied table looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always free cycle! I was hoping for the honor of being in friends' homes, but if not, not.

      Delete
    2. I like the butterflies. I can see that in my home.

      Delete
    3. I think you need to supply an address. Email me?

      Delete
  10. Our trees have barely begun to bear leaves. I hope to get a few photos when they do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. They need more rest than they used to these days. But, yes, active.

      Delete
  12. Oh that reminds me, another thing on my to-do list is oil the wood surfaces. I think in the middle of the night I considered reorganizing my plastic tubs I use for leftovers. They are slowly taking over the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My trouble is that I think of tasks at a moment when it's not the time to do them.

      Delete
  13. Springtime is the best! All that new life after the drear of winter. It shows in your art.
    I am going to have to refinish the top of my mid-century modern teak dining table - it is a bit too damaged and worn in places for oil to work its magic. It will need a light hand at the sanding because it veneer, so it is a job is will have to do myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have started a furniture care wave! Thanks for the email and info.

      Delete
  14. You have so much colour outdoors now. We are in the drab stage still.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh I relate to what you said about taking a long time to get started on something that once we do, it's already done quickly. So TRUE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's universal. I wonder if cave women thought I need to find my bit of charcoal and get on with that mammoth drawing.

      Delete
  16. The oiled tables look wonderful. Speaking of getting a round tuit, I sharpened a slew of pencils recently. Actually old fashioned, pencil sharpener sharpening.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It appears from the previous comments that you are not alone in the need to reorganize and redistribute. I started doing that on bookshelves in our computer room and then was sidetracked. You have inspired me to finish this week, thanks. Hope your discards find a new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm offering my best art. Rehoming so people will have something to remember me by.

      I wonder if spring causes the urge to organize, as well as clean?

      Delete
  18. Your artist books are just exquisite. I know what you mean about winnowing and how it sometimes evolves into organizing so you can actually find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, there's the winnowing/frantic search continuum.

      Delete
  19. Timely reminder about oiling furniture - thank you. You're right that it's one of those chores that doesn't take long but rarely comes to mind to actually do it. Sharpening knives, however, is NOT on my list and never has been, because I can't stand the sound. It's akin to nails on chalkboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I postpone sharpening, the sound, ow.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!