Tuesday, April 23, 2024

New stitching to happen

I wrote two posts yesterday, and there still seems to be a lot of material to write about, so here's the interim, before Tuesday Knitting Group and Textiles and Tea. It's all go.

Here's the stitched fabric book idea, which I think will improve the former wall hanging, and the complicated schema for the pages. 



It's a slot and tab design -- tab pages slide through slot pages, very clever. 


Ann Wood is to be credited here.This will be a Kawandi experiment, too, quilting spontaneously done. Like many beautiful textile arts, it has a sad history, and I am adapting and using ideas with humility, honoring the Siddi people of India 


What this quotation doesn't mention is that the Siddi were enslaved, forcibly brought to India. This art is theirs. I'm only trying it as a beginner, with gratitude. It's exactly what I like to do, and they've made it a high art.

And there will be embroidered pages with favorite stitches, just walking around with thread.

Here are my starting pages 




Yes I cut it up from the back. Destruction precedes creation.

It's good to have a bit of stitching to pick up when I feel like a bit of stitching. Stitchers know that need.

And this week, birthdays of Shakespeare, Hitler and my Auntie Kitty. She could have handled Hitler, no problem. Not sure about Shakespeare, though she could quote him. Left school at 12, people did then, never stopped learning.

Throughout all, there's the best dinosaur of all 



And, now and then, I post chalked street images made by David Zinn. Here's him at work

Happy day, everyone, enjoy whatever you're making or watching or reading or working on. It's all good.







27 comments:

  1. The cloth book reminds me of baby's first books. and I love David Zinn's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to see him at work. Such simple kit, A bag of chalks.

      Delete
  2. Aunt Kitty sounds like she was a formidable woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was. Interesting lady, well into middle age when I was born.

      Delete
  3. When I saw that you were cutting your wall hanging piece into pages I cringed a little but you are right- destruction does often proceed creation. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glorious art out of hellish experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Like the quilters of Gee's Bend, brilliant art out of deprivation and discrimination.

      Delete
  5. I'm clueless about cloth books but I know by the time you have finished I may understand. Love David Zing and Tea Rex!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you notice how your cut up blocks of color got reorganized into the wall of teas behind Tea rex?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a hilarious observation. I hadn't registered that.

      Delete
  7. I love that your reworking your wall hanging. It’s like creating new life.
    I have a project that I might just cut up and repurpose. You know in the five minutes I have spare a day lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, new life, maybe the life it should have had all along. I'm all for cutting! And tearing! And riving!

      Delete
  8. I once watched Hmong women doing reverse applique. Fascinating. I went home and made a reverse applique quilt block for a charity project. Once was enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's quite a bit of reverse applique in the wall hanging. The Hmong started out here and we helped launch them because they wanted to go to Ohio, with fundraisers, including their applique and wood carvings. Sounds like they arrived!

      Delete
  9. How cool is a fabric book?!?! So neat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much of textile history tells terrible stories. There is something bittersweet that the same crafts bring so much pleasure.
    Poor Tea Rex - would he ever get to sip on the cup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's important to know the human cost in textiles, so we respect their power. But there's such beauty too.
      I love the hapless Tea Rex!

      Delete
  11. His artwork is so simple it makes me think, "Why didn't I think of that?" And then I chuckle at the thought of what i would come up and how people would mistake for a blob of bird poo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes it look easy. I love his imagination.

      Delete
  12. David Zinn is becoming a world phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like an intriguing method of cloth book construction and now I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.
    Thank you for the reminder about the work of David Zinn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cool construction, and I'm learning as I go.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!