Sunday, November 26, 2023

The old is new again, and upcoming events prep

Last evening I finally got around to watching some Father Dowling, the brand-new-in-shrinkwrap DVDs I found at the library sale.


And found they're really fun. Steve, the nunly sidekick, is a great tearaway character. It's old fashioned, people don't move and talk that way now, but still good. I never even heard of this series before, not being a TV watcher.

Yesterday saw the last of the Thanksgiving veggies plus spinach, turned into an omelet, with plenty of long red pepper ground in.


After the spinach cooked down to practically nothing, as it does, I added the eggs with peas and corn, and that worked fine. And I turned off the burner.

I ordered a book of year long daily poems for my upcoming birthday, and will start the reading on the appropriate day. Accompanied by favorite treats.


The Australian offering looks like a relative of sponge candy which I love and rarely find in affordable amounts. I couldn't remember the term sponge, and spent quite a while online searching foam (!) and finding many references to styrofoam, none edible, before the right word showed up.

At this point I'm grandly planning on one piece per daily poem. We'll see.

Meanwhile, back in the knitting arena, I found the unfinished doll

On a stitch holder and thought ah, next it needs a face, I'll just check for right colored yarn. Then I found out why it's on the stitch holder. No face colored yarn in the house. Oh.  I'll get some bits of yarn from the stash at the library on Friday then, and continue. 

These Izzy comfort dolls are what I'm planning to make for children living on  a native American reservation out west. poor pictures from a while back, but you get the idea, and the size.



The Izzy doll has a moving history, which you can check. I've made dozens of these for AIDS orphans in Africa, used as packing for the medical lab glass shipped to AIDS clinics in Africa by ICROSS Canada. Then the postage got prohibitive and I switched to the more local Sock Ministry, but I'm taking a side trip into dolls just now. Once I get my yarn sorted, that is.

Happy day, everyone, whatever day it is, don't ask me, I'n still confused by the US holiday.




39 comments:

  1. We call that "sponge toffee" in Canada. A favourite chocolate bar of mine when I was young was a Crunchie bar made by Cadbury's -- sponge toffee covered in milk chocolate that would melt on your tongue. I don't even know if they still make them. I should check at a candy counter next time I'm near one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love crunchie bars. They have gotten smaller over the years though.

      Delete
    2. All the candy bars have shrunk. Not the prices though!

      Delete
  2. I watched that series when it was on TV! I liked it.

    It's really amazing how spinach disappears when cooked. five cups cooked fills a thimble. I look forward to seeing the finished doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I get the yarn organized, there will be multiple dolls. Watch this space!

      Delete
  3. As I write this, it is definitely Sunday. And a rainy, chilly Sunday it is. I am going to settle on the couch and do some mending I think. Find something worth watching on the TV. There's a new miniseries on Netflix of "All the Light We Cannot See" which I definitely want to check out.
    I love your tiny dolls. Just the perfect tiny piece of love to tuck into a pocket. A tiny piece of your loving heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These dolls are well received. I've seen pictures from ICROSS Canada of teens with a doll attached to their backpack! I think even adults wouldn't mind a pocket doll.

      Delete
  4. The only activity I’m engaged in is picking up and shelling pecans. I ate a small piece of pecan pie last night. Eyed those last three bites, ate them anyway and regretted it well into the night. - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pecan pie is so sweet, a little goes a long way. As you found.

      Delete
  5. If I ever watched Father Dowling, it was only in passing, but I remember when it was on TV. I had no idea there was a nun named Steve. (?)

    Your doll project is intriguing! Hope you find some face-colored yarn out there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister Stephanie, known to her friends as Steve! Yes, I need a range of tones for faces, none of which I seem to have.

      Delete
  6. Oh... the dolls are beautiful.
    I hope you enjoy making them... and please show them on the blog before you hand them over to their destination.
    A poetry book of your choice for your birthday sounds wonderful...
    a big hug for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to show the dolls before I send them off.

      Delete
  7. Violet crumble is honeycomb in chocolate. Soooo yummy.
    Love those little dolls. I’ve made versions of them for the charity box at knitting group. Since I’ve not been back for so long my stash is now very very low. I plan to remedy that next year when all the hallabalou of the next six weeks are over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the candy gets the Australian seal of approval. The dolls too.

      Delete
  8. Lovin' the dolls! Very clever. At first I thought of finger puppets. But the last time I gave some to some pre-teen grandkids, they weren't at all interested. I forgot that kids always want to be older, not younger again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m not sure what day it is either and we didn’t have Thanksgiving. It is a thing this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing Mary cleared that up earlier. My son texts me each morning, usually mentioning the day, very tactful!

      Delete
  10. I think I posted a link to a make-your-own sponge toffee on my blog not too long ago. I never liked it because I found it too sweet for my taste. I think it would require a candy thermometer which would stop me from making it, even for gifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a candy thermometer, but a whole recipe is probably a bit much for my needs.

      Delete
  11. I haven't seen violet crumbles for years. That 'sponge' toffee is called hokey pokey in New Zealand and i have heard it called cinder toffee in UK. Easy enough to make - boiled up sugar and water (and golden syrup i think) and baking soda at the end to make it fizz. Also look for 'Crunchy bars'. There are some great old crunchy bar ads on YouTube. Real mini action movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The golden syrup is unobtainable here. I remember a recipe and noticed it needed an item I couldn't get, I think that one. Corn syrup is a poor substitute.

      Delete
  12. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A3laBRBPfQ4&pp=ygUSY3J1bmNoeSBiYXIgYWR2ZXJ0

    ReplyDelete
  13. Violet Crumble has a unique texture. It has been likened to Crunchie but is somehow finer. And less sweet. Let it dissolve on your tongue. It tickles.
    The daily poems sound interesting but I suppose it is like a daily bible reading without the religious stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poem idea is like a meditation substitute, or journaling which I've never followed beyond a few days. I'm looking forward to the crumble. I'm getting expert technical advice on it!

      Delete
  14. I loved Father Dowling back when it was on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember when that series was on -- I enjoyed it thoroughy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never saw or heard of those mysteries. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've not heard of the Father Dowling mysteries either. I just checked and see that our library system has them. Cool! I've just put them on hold. Looking forward to your future Izzy dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know if you like them. I'm enjoying them. I'm looking forward to getting on with the dolls, too!

      Delete
  18. Love those dolls. And I'm surprised you don't make your own honeycomb.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do make a lot of food, but this one, the combination of boiling sugar and baking soda, is seriously dangerous, so I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do remember the Father Dowling Mysteries, but confess to never having watched very many, Boud. I'm sure those Izzy dolls will be appreciated by the future recipients and what a nice things to be doing as was the previous projects you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dolls are a little side track from the ongoing sock and glove ministry, fun to use up scraps

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!