Thursday, November 23, 2023

Happy thanksgiving, if it applies. Or Thursday.

 Yesterday we had a lovely afternoon, the food was simple: precooked turkey slices, tender and very good, heated up with baby preroasted tricolor potatoes, with peas and corn, steamed, cranberry sauce. Cheese and crackers. Pumpkin pie, baked at the store, whipped cream fired from a can. All easy, still with leftovers, low labor. 

He asked after Pink Rabbit (predictive text thinks that should be Floyd), and went up to my bedroom to see her on the baby rocker with the bears. While he was there he kindly adjusted my shower stools, two, one in each bathroom, which I use outside the shower. 

They were both a bit low, different height from the ADA -compliant toilet and the bathtub sides, but right for Handsome Partner, for whom I installed them. I think this is a safety issue, so he raised both to match the fittings. 

This involved wrestling with pliers to pop the leg-adjusting buttons which had been in place for years and were beyond my strength to press hard enough. I suggested silicone dabbed on with a qtip, and that and brute force did the trick.  Much easier to rise from now.

So I'm thankful for a  good son who doesn't mind doing a safety job on a holiday. 

After he'd left, I finished my socks



Which are much redder and less purple than the camera thinks.

While I knitted I listened to the rest of an old favorite in a new recording on YouTube


 I like this because it has a couple of my favorite female characters, the Sharpes, mother and daughter, the wrongly accused, very independent, and nonconformist. They're not unlike my other favorite, Catherine Oliphant from Less than Angels, for similar reasons.

Now the knitting is done, I think, after a day off to rest my neck, just in case, I might make a few comfort pocket dolls for children. I've made many of these in the past and I think there's even one on the needles somewhere. I'll keep you updated. 

So while Handsome Son was here, we planned for him to visit mid December and cook me lunch for my birthday,  then get out my small bag of Christmas decorations to set up. Lunch is  going to be garlicky chicken breast and mozzarella on toasted long rolls whose name escapes me, a special request from me. It's my birthday present.

And I did a selfie, complete with the official Good Pearls, to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving, or happy Thursday, whichever applies. Rayez ce qui est inutile. One of my favorite French bureaucratic commands -- delete that which is inapplicable!

But do have a happy day. I plan to. 






41 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, you lovely woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for making time to come in on a busy day.

      Delete
  2. It seems as though you had a good visit (productive too) and meal. Happy TG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Boud, Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday meal yesterday afternoon. Your menu sounds perfect! ๐Ÿ˜Š And it sure sounds like a nice visit with Handsome Son. Great selfie! ๐Ÿ˜Š Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and thank you for your kind comment on my blog. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to read your blog, John! Happy Thanksgiving to you.

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to You & Handsome Son!
    Beautiful smile you have
    I had to look up and ponder inapplicable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bureacratese! Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

      Delete
  5. Good job on those socks. Be they purple or red, they turned out great. And unique!
    So glad you and Handsome Son work so well together. That Selfie is the best. How come you look so young?๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ I know. Good living! ๐Ÿ™…๐Ÿผ‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty wrinkly nowadays, but I thought oh well nobody's looking at me, anyway! Handsome Son is a gem, very obliging, but can't be pushed around.

      Delete
  6. Love the socks, in whatever shade of purple they may be! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm wearing them right now. Very comfy.

      Delete
  7. Happy thanksgiving. To you. What a lovely son you have. The socks look great. I’ll get back onto socks after I finish the million things running through my head lol
    Lovely to see your smile face

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the socks, such pretty colors. And I remember reading Josephine Tey years ago. Happy Thanksgiving to you and handsome son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Inger, I hope yours is good too.

      Delete
  9. Glad you had a good-pearls-worthy Thanksgiving celebration with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful blessing to have such a son, Boud. Great photo too. It is lovely to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Boud! And to a year ahead full of yarn and yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a joyful photograph! and the pearls are very nice! I love the socks. They remind me of some I used to have which I liked very much. Happy thanksgiving if it is not too late to say so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early evening here, plenty of time for Thanksgiving greetings, thank you!

      Delete
  13. An easy thanksgiving dinner. Are leftovers mandatory? You look very happy and healthy. Good to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leftovers are the sandwich filling for next day! Particularly with cranberry sauce. It was a lovely time.

      Delete
    2. Your dinner sounds fine to me. I'm rather late in wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving, because the day is nearly over.
      SO, you are Liz from New Jersey who has been sending me all the wonderful cards to cheer me up during my stay in the hospital and rehab! I didn't know who you were until now. Many, many thanks for your kindness. Jon V.


      Delete
    3. You're so welcome, Jon. Just a little gesture to encourage you. Remember to supply your home address once you've sorted out the logistics.

      Delete
  14. So glad you had a lovely day, Your son is a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful socks. A fitting end to a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like pretty much the perfect Thanksgiving, and the day after (leftovers!). Glad Handsome Son was able to adjust the shower stool legs, albeit with a little wrestling. He's a keeper! And oh those socks!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good! And the socks are already in rotation.

      Delete
  17. Happy Thanksgiving. Great socks. Young face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I'm looking age appropriate these days!

      Delete
  18. You look radiant, Liz :) I'm catching up on blog-reading in reverse order, but since I had turkey dinner leftovers for breakfast this morning, it feels like I'm right on time. I had a quiet Thursday at home, but when my Occasional Helper came by to deliver a plate of goodies on Friday, he also offered to attempt a quick temporary fix on something involving a ladder and cinderblocks. It was a great relief to me. Huzzah for people who don't mind tucking into a little unexpected job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a nice thing for him to do. He's looking out for you.

      Delete
  19. Glad your Thanksgiving celebration with Handsome Son was a joy.
    I smiled when I saw that lovely photo of you sporting the posh pearls which made me think of Irene and her 'wearing of the pearls' when we got together. I think, perhaps, that was something she picked up from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she did. The pearls are very important!

      Delete
  20. Glad you had a happy Thanksgiving with Handsome Son, Liz. A low labor holiday meal sounds perfect to me. That is a very nice selfie. A radiant smile. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think holidays tend to increase in labor as we have more ideas each year! Winnowing can apply there, too. Thanks for the nice compliments!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!