Sunday, November 5, 2023

Food help, feminist Tudor history, comfort for dark days

 It's the time of year when we think, if briefly, about people who need to use food banks. I used to run a holiday food drive and get my local chapter of the embroiderers guild to donate. People like the feelgood of giving actual food. In fact $$ is better, because the director knows how to spend it, and can get more by arrangements than we can shopping retail.

However, if people are hellbent on donating things, I'd refer them to the local website. Here's my local food pantry this week


Notice that condiments are listed, because cheap food, like pasta, needs something, to be palatable. A lot of plain food is improved with a bit of help, but if you can't manage food, you certainly can't afford pepper, or ketchup, or other spices.

And personal care items are beyond the reach of many people, but they, like anyone,  need to be presentable. It's good to realize that the vast majority of food pantry users are working, and attend to their appearance like any other worker.

Anyway these are just a few thoughts. I sent my quarterly check yesterday, with reminders on my calendar for the next couple of quarters. People are hungry year round, particularly in summer when school meals stop.

On to Pink Rabbit. I think this is why I couldn't pass her by


This haunting true story of Kerr's  Jewish family escaping Germany when she was a little girl, trying to understand leaving everything suddenly, with just a suitcase, why her pink rabbit hadn't made it, stayed with me. I thought of it as soon as I saw the shabby pink rabbit in the free cycle box.

Kerr became a world famous children's writer and illustrator, remember "The Tiger Who Came to Tea"?



If not, check it out, it's lovely. Anyway this is why Pink Rabbit is named this way.

And, more grownup reading, I've started this interesting history of the six wives, with attention paid to their stories and ambitions, not the usual men's viewpoint of events. 

It's worth reading, to round out our understanding of the period. It's one I'm interested in, because the reformation has literally touched my own life and is part of why I live here rather than my country of birth. History isn't just the past. 

It hasn't escaped my notice that I'm writing this on the Fifth of November, A night when people in the UK celebrate the torture and murder of a Catholic, one of my people, at this very time. We Catholics never went out on Guy Fawkes night.



Meanwhile, this has been a dark blog post, but here's  comfort food for darker nights, mac and cheese.



I used chickpea flour for the cheese sauce, and find it needs more milk than ap flour. 


Happy day everyone, whatever time it is where you are!


Photo AC







32 comments:

  1. Ah yes! A food drive was on at our little grocery store yesterday. Conveniently, they had pre-gathered bags that we could purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the stores also contribute? Some of them supply pallets of canned goods and pasta at reduced rates to food banks.

      Delete
  2. I like that your food bank posts lists of needed (and not needed) items. I doubt that ours does but I will check and see. I noticed one of the local grocery stores had made up brown paper bags filled with items that you could purchase and donate. Didn't see it until we were checked out but I'll go back and add to our groceries next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to check. Another blogista commented on those pre packed bags to buy.

      Delete
  3. I used to volunteer at a local food shelf. I think it would do a lot of people some good to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check out that Pink Rabbit book, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rethinking how and what we celebrate is becoming more popular.
    I think the hype around Henry VIII is creepy. He murdered women to move on to the next for breeding purposes. I believe he is a horrific stain on English history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He also had a weak claim to the throne, a big issue for the succession and securing the country.

      Delete
  6. The candle at the end sheds light on this post. So many tragic events recently and historically. I have a new blog now: desertcanyonstories.blogspot.com I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You caught the significance of ACs little light!

      Delete
  7. Did I say the blog's name is: desertcanyonstories.blogspot.com anyhow this is the correct name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fire works going off right now, window lit up with flashes of light, penny for the guy, night, which I have never understood. The torture especially and good for Guy for leaping hard to break his neck. No good for the lusty ,disappointed crowd gathered for drawn and quartered event! Insane, and, really are we humans any better, improved? Nope. Catholicism makes no better sense than Henry’s Anglican mess but the utter violence of GOD’s wants, the interpretation of such, makes us all shudder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The signature in the "confession" after being racked, compared to his normal handwriting, tells its own tale.

      Delete
  9. We've just returned from a trip to the UK and missed any celebrations for Guy Fawkes Day, although we did hear talk about fireworks and such. We also heard about the fate of some of Henry VIII's wives when we toured the Tower of London, quite a gruesome place in its time. I read back to learn more about pink rabbit and glad he/she has a new home among the teddy bears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That era was not for the feeble, of any persuasion. Pink Rabbit is almost dry and ready to take her place, probably with Fred and Ursula.

      Delete
  10. I would be interested in reading the book about the women who were unfortunate enough to have been married to Henry VIII.
    Thank you for the good suggestions and reminders about food pantries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's putting it just right, they were married to him, rather than married him. They had no agency over their lives, were basically valuable properties in international maneuvers.

      Delete
  11. Many of us are about to receive a heating contribution from the government for £500. It's rather a lot for those who don't really need it. Maybe we should all donate at least a little of it to a food bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this a British program? For Brit readers this sounds like a great idea.

      Delete
  12. Those that fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it.
    I fear that the whitewashing of history, to make it more palatable, will be the undoing of us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what the reference is. The book about the six queens is a careful well researched account of the actual documents written about and by them, and their actions. This is rarely spotlighted, all the oxygen usually taken up by the men in the picture and the white male historians who write them up.

      Delete
  13. The socks in your last post are just beautiful. I'm in awe of your abilities with knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's the variegated yarn, mainly. But yes, you have to know how to knit socks.

      Delete
  14. Oh I nearly mentioned When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit in my comment on your next post. It is a lovely though sad story. At Zac's we've recently started suggesting people send us e-vouchers for clothes and food. Much more useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, vouchers to exchange for really needed items. Great idea.

      Delete
  15. When you mentioned your pink rabbit I thought of that Judith Kerr book! I never connected that she also wrote "The Tiger Who Came To Tea," though I know that book too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did a lot of good work, right into extreme old age.

      Delete
  16. I'm very interested in the Tudors and the six wives. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fairly old book. My library plans to pulp this copy after I've read it, pretty tattered.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!